HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being honest... I only have experience with HK handguns and the MR556/MR762. I'm admittedly not too knowledgeable with any other HK rifles/sub guns. Finally going to dip my toe into the machine gun world later this year or early next year. Still need to make a final decision, but I'm considering getting a S&H or other registered sear. Others I'm considering is a M16A1 or similar registered receiver or a couple of WW2 guns.

What are some sear hosts that I should be youtubing and researching? I imagine hosts are still going to cost $2000-$5000 depending on HK or clone...

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I started with a 9mm subgun (D54-N) which only fueled the addiction for more hosts.
My guess is an MP5 variant is where most start... Have fun building your collection.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Start off with an MP5 and HK53 clone, those two are a must. If you really want to take your sear to the next level, save up for an HK23e or HK21e clone. They're not cheap, in fact, you could probably buy another machinegun for that price, but they're the ultimate sear hosts.

The HK sear is an awesome platform, but I have more money invested in my host guns than the cost of the sear. Buying hosts becomes an addiction and it's easy to get carried away!

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
oh man. you are about to descend into the rabbit hole.
the sear is a great flexible but obviously hugely expensive item. I'd say its ONLY worth having one if you intend to have several or lots of hosts.
The host world is enormous now. You can find perfectly acceptable sear hosts from the $2k range up to hk factory semi conversions (like hk94->HK MP5 SD) upwards of $9k...and of course the beltfeds like MM guns at $11k+.

For someone new to the sear + host gig I'd rec' starting off with a simple factory semi host. The very first gun (prob bought w the sear even) should be a MP5 straight up. Cant go wrong there. Then like mentioned above I'd go 53 as a second one. Then a 91 or 51...just to cover the major cals...then I'd dip back down into the SMGs and go MP5SD followed by MP5k...and then start hitting everything...MM23E at some point although beltfeds truly are a PITA (all of them!) and others.... The world is your oyster.

But I'd start off as I mentioned 'lil grasshopper.

have fun.

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,703 Posts
Most people will say a MG is really expensive, but try feeding one! You can easily blow through $1,000 worth of ammo in a day so keep that in perspective. 9mm is the cheapest was to go so MP5, MP5K, MP5K PDW and MP5SD at about 20 cent per round. I then moved into 40 and now 5.56. I doubt that I'll ever get into 7.62, but a HK23EK sure does sound nice!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
This is just my opinion, but this is so generic and has been covered so many times. I have to ask why would you care what my host preferences are? To me a much better question would be, "This is how and where I like to shoot, what would you guys recommend?" Do you only go to big shoots and pound mag after mag of full power rifle caliber off hand? Are you interested in CQB shoot and move training with medium caliber rifle caliber? Do you have any interest in subgun competition? Or would you like a belt fed on a tripod where you can sit down and pound away? Or are you more interested in the history but not so much in the shooting?

These questions are just the tip of the iceberg. I have no idea what is your hope for your next machinegun. But I would think for this to be meaningful for you, I would post what you hope to get from the experience and where and how you wish to use it. That is just one member's opinion

Scott

·
Unrepentant HKHolic
Ones that go Bang
5,194 Posts
As said above a MP5 is a must have whether clone or German hard to beat that iconic look...........My fav now is a recently acquired German MP5K Suppressed pictured below with my DLO installed and my recently approved Omega K Can I find myself taking it everywhere it is so compact/light............if you are truly thinking about a Sear I believe now would be a great time to get one. There are lots of hopefuls out there thinking the Hughes Amendment is going to be repealed its pipe dream but its muddied the waters for MG's and has lots of people in a Hold and See pattern which has softened the market a little but once Water become clear I believe all MG's will sky rocket. Just my nickel keep us updated.
View attachment 98426 View attachment 98434

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Oh man...what a mess... sears...where to start...agreed the 9mm might be the best place to start, cost wise. The M-16 route is much easier, cheaper and cheaper. Being into the 16 and with two Fleming sears and tons of hosts with extra parts ammo and ammo. And I do mean .22lr, 9mm, 5.56, x39 and x51. Its completely out of control ;) I guess in a good way. Been into this stuff when the sears were $375 each. Hell my Sp-89 was $1250.00 All of the purchases less my MM21e/23e combo was in a time where good stuff was (cheaper). Man to get into it now...Hell even my MM21e/23e combo was like 15k plus I just purchased a 22" 5.56 bbl for $1600.

I don't know, people feel the prices on these sears will continue to raise. I say go for it!
Post some pics on your way!!!!

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
The best of the HK hosts in my opinion are the 9mm sub guns. MP5 and the MP5k. Lots of folks like the 53, but I have RR M16s that I prefer for short 5.56 hosts...and the uppers are disposable compared to HK barrel work (clone or otherwise). If you need to spend more money, get an MP5 SD.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The best of the HK hosts in my opinion are the 9mm sub guns. MP5 and the MP5k. Lots of folks like the 53, but I have RR M16s that I prefer for short 5.56 hosts...and the uppers are disposable compared to HK barrel work (clone or otherwise). If you need to spend more money, get an MP5 SD.
Kind of with GPSIG on this. Got sear and M16 plus a few other select fire platforms. There is no better 9mm F/A host than an MP5 in my opinion (also have a F/A Mini Uzi). When you get to the rifle caliber, I like them but none have blown me away. I bought a MM-13 (poor mans 23) and it's the most fun to shoot of the rifle calibers with a 100 round drum. M16 is right there with them and more flexible on upper options. Each HK host has a unique flavor to it. My favorite is my SD but some days I prefer the K and other days, I want to muscle up and put my 91 through it's paces. The beauty of HK sears. Matt

·
Registered
122 Posts
My favorite sear host is a MP540-SD then the 53. I agree with others the bet feds are fun but a PITA to keep running.

·
Registered
930 Posts
See my posts in the clone forum. I started with a Fleming sear and converted 93 to 53. Now 14 hosts later I like all of them. The advise given here is sound. The MP5 and 53 are the ones most recommend. Now look at what is available today.

9mm is easy to build with LSC flats and a mixture of HK parts and American parts.

308 and 7.62x39 is covered by PTR using purchased HK licensed tooling and lots of HK parts available.

The weak spot is 223

Parts kits are dries up and no flats right now.y understanding is Jeff Walters is coming out with a flat and we are seeing more American parts. So this is the harder one to get.

So welcome to the club. I love the ability to swap out an ejector and move my pack to another host.

Hope this helps some. By the way my favorites are the MP5, mp5k, HK53,33k, 91, and the 7.62x39 hosts. The PTR 7.62x39 hosts are really interesting. Cheap ammo and slow controllable rate of fire on full auto.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I feel that the HK sear or frame is the most versatile MG available. The upside to the m16 is that they can easily be tinkered with by the end user and uppers are cheap compared to a new HK barrel with associated gunsmithing costs. I own m16s, FNC, fullsize Vector Uzi, DLO frame, and fleming HK sear. I enjoy each and shoot them all. If I had to downsize to one MG it would be a HK sear or frame with the following hosts: mp5-n, mp5k-n, 33k and/or 53, and a E with 21 and 23 barrels and feed kits. Maybe toss in a PTR 32 or 52 as well. The flexibility is unparalleled. The m16 is very versatile, however I keep mine in 5.56. I don't find the m16/9 to be a very refined SMG (totally outclassed by the UZI, mp5, and even a lage mac). Using a shrike on a factory Colt lower concerns me, so my 16s will never be beltfeds. Don't get me wrong, the 16 is awesome and it would be my second choice if I were paring down the collection.

Buy an HK sear, you will love it. If you can also afford a 16, I suggest you buy that too.

As others have said, 9mm hosts are probably the best place to start. They are the most inexpensive to feed and you can use them at indoor ranges. These two attributes will translate to more shooting.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
As everyone else said, start with a good, solid MP5 9mm host.

Going from there, you really will find yourself making a decision in the direction of your collection: "cheap" blasters or higher dollar keepers. Personally, I went the first route. Just know, you'll spend time and money getting them running well, but you'll still come out way cheaper than going for the more authentic high dollar items. Also know, your blasters aren't going to increase in value like the more authentic guns either. That all being said, I got into 5.56 and .308 fairly inexpensively, getting an HK53, HK33, and a HK91, which all run beautifully with my sear, for less than I would have in a single true German HK91. Still, my C93P (HK53), C93 (HK33), and PTR91 GI (HK91), don't feel particularly different when I shoot them than the real deal and they put lead on target just as well (YMMV on the Century's of course, I got lucky with my two, having them run great out of the box).

Now, nothing wrong with going for high dollar, German guns (or spending top dollar on the really high quality clones built by the several excellent vendors on here). It just depends on what your goal is. I built my "HK" sear host collection very quickly and cheap enough that I had enough money left over for a few other things I've really wanted (like a .50 BMG rifle and a breech-loading 2" bore cannon).

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys for all the input!
Quick question... if I were to get something like a HK MP5SD with a registered sear, would I be able to get a MP5-N or MP5K clone from someone like Zenith... and just move the lower receiver around kinda like an AR15?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Thanks guys for all the input!
Quick question... if I were to get something like a HK MP5SD with a registered sear, would I be able to get a MP5-N or MP5K clone from someone like Zenith... and just move the lower receiver around kinda like an AR15?
I have a registered sear that I move from host to host. The trigger pack is a modified semi shelf pack that has been changed to accept the Fleming sear and has a trip lever. This allows me to move the pack from host to host. My hosts all have semi shelves. There is much information on this. The point I make is the machine gun is the Fleming sear in modified trigger pack that fits in a host with a semi shelf. The ATF allows only one modified trigger pack per registered sear.

The other ways are a registered host with a trigger box called a DLO box. That part becomes the machine gun and a gun itself that has been registered with a front push pin and no modified shelf to accept the trigger pack.

I believe the most desirable ways to register a machine gun are DLO and sear and finally the gun itself. The beauty of my sear pack is I can move it among my 15 hosts. Also I tend not to shoot real HK since they are more collectable. I have clone hosts built most in a pistol configuration so I can use any source of parts I want to. I leave the stock off until I put the registered trigger pack on the host then the stock and away I go. I also have rifles. I find for 308 and 7.62x39 that the PTR guns are very good. The 9mm guns have a lot of competition but for a host setup for an auto sear a good HK parts kit with a LSC receiver and a good customer builder are hard to bear. The 223 world is a more difficult proposal.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The MP5s are a good entry point. You haven't lived until you've tried beltfed. People always mention high upkeep but once acquired, outside of linking your ammo it's pretty easy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I got into a DLO frame in January 2016. It happened to come with an HK91 already so that's where I got my start. I know .308 can be very expensive (starting 0.40/round), so I researched a bit and picked up a special bolt to use DAG plastic ammo. This stuff is fun for making noise but at 0.19/round, it's better than full .308. Next I found a .22lr kit for about $600. This is my favorite way to shoot it at the moment mainly because there's less recoil than any other .22lr gun (with the weight of the 91), and it's about 0.06/round. So if you find a good deal on a 91, there are a few ways to reduce ammo costs.

All that being said, I got into the whole game with the intention of completing a host collection. So here's my planned/prioritized list of hosts. If a deal is right though, this may change.
1. Reverse stretch MP5 clone (cheapest option because it's a clone, and it's slightly different being in between an MP5 and MP5K)
2. SP89 to convert to MP5K
3. HK93 (complete all the calibers)
4. HK94 to convert to MP5
5. MP5SD
6. SP5K (if they import more, I might get a new one and have it converted for F/A)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts