1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an MP5 clone on order from Coharie Arms. Since Winchester
white box 9mm from Walmart is not supposed to be used in their guns,
what other brands do you guys use?

Which 9mm ammo is hotter than others in your opinions?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Winchester white box ammo is notoriously under-powered, as is the cheap Remington stuff Walmart also sells. I recommend S&B, since I started using it I have not had a single malfunction and I have not changed out a single US made part...you don't need to, if you use decent ammo. I have also heard good things about Wolf, but you should expect Wolf to be dirtier.
...hope this helps!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Find a good reloader company. I have been using 9mm reloads for years with great success. A year ago I used to pay $86/1000, today it is closer to $120/1000.

Whether I am using under powered reloads or Corbon 9mm's, the paper targets seem to look the same.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had an in depth discussion with Todd from SW/CA about the 9mm vs 308 hammer springs and the reason they used the 308 springs was the fact that lots of people back years ago were shooting surplus 9mm, which had harder primers than commercial stuff. Thus the 308 hammer spring.

The new/current CA94's come with 9mm springs as they are for softer primer/less force to reset, and fire better with commercial 9mm..

But he still said that Winchester is not only not recommended, it will void your warranty.

Glad I have a few cases of American Eagle/Federal 9mm ammo sitting here waiting to be blasted once I get my MP5 clone.

·
Registered
630 Posts
It could very well be that WINCHESTER doesn't work in a SW or CA MP5 clone. but I know for a fact that it works great in my VECTOR V89 and works great in my friends' MP5 clone made by VECTOR, no jams, FTE etc... And to top that all off, we both bought HK straight mags and it fucntion just fine with those mags.

In fact, I have shot the cheap BLAZER ammo out of my V89 and it works perfectly in that as well.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Find a good reloader company. I have been using 9mm reloads for years with great success. A year ago I used to pay $86/1000, today it is closer to $120/1000.

Whether I am using under powered reloads or Corbon 9mm's, the paper targets seem to look the same.
I know a lot of peeps avoid them like the plague, but I shoot reloaded ammo as well, and at about the same prices as you're getting.

Just be careful when loading mags and check every round - I've used 3 different reloading companies from the Dallas gunshows, and every one of them has 5 - 10 rounds that are either swelled at the neck, or ones where the case neck got trapped under the bullet, so that part of the case is actually crushed under the bullet. I've let a few slip by, and they cause a failure to load - the bolt doesn't close all the way. In my case, they don't fire either, because the trip lever hasn't moved the catch out of the way, not sure if they'd cause a bigger problem in a semi-auto gun with no registered sear or not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just went to a local shop and bought several boxes of the Sellier & Bellot and Fiocchi 115 grn. 9mm FMJ ammo.

I'll post a report tomorrow on how it shoots.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Todd and honoring a warrantee issue.. Whew thats a good one!!
So true...my "warranty" issues were met with rude emails and only an offer of a refund and not a fix. She was condescending too.

I fixed the gun with HK parts and diligence.

Thanks for nothing to those two swindlers.

P.S. the CA94 now works 100 %

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So true...my "warranty" issues were met with rude emails and only an offer of a refund and not a fix. She was condescending too.

I fixed the gun with HK parts and diligence.

Thanks for nothing to those two swindlers.

P.S. the CA94 now works 100 %
Swiss_Seth:
what parts did you replace on your CA94? I'm not going to go crazy and start
buying HK parts until after tomorrow when I get to take it to the range for the first time and see how it does "out of the box".

Was just wondering which parts you had to replace to make it run 100%.

I'm making a list of parts I may need to buy, and spare parts to keep on hand
when something eventually breaks or wears out.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I had the following issues with my CA94

1. the bolt was way out of spec and was loose on the locking piece, this lead to FTE

2. the hammer wasnt strutted and the part that connects to the spring kept jumping off the hammer, which lead to FTF

3. The bolt itself was a piece of sh*t and had to be replaced totally, the damn extractor was so loose in the bolt head that it would move side to side, back and forth with the slightest pressure

4. the ejector was a piece of sh*t, the HK German made ejector is perfect in every way, you will see what I am talking about when you look at one up close (3rd generation HK ejector)

5. The locking piece that Todd and his wife provided with the CA94 was a K 16# locking piece, this was adding to the malfuctions making the gun over perform during recoil. The bolt unlocked so fast that the carrier was bashing the plate in the stock leaving "witness" marks in the metal. - When I sent an email to Todd at Cohaire they said they put the K model locking piece in the CA94 because customers were using under powered ammo (this was a BS answer to there crappy manufacting processes and they blamed their customer base)

Okay, So after I found out everything that was wrong with this gun and I determined that at the very least I had a good quality receiver I replaced the following with HK parts:

HK Action 3 bolt head
HK Gen 3 Ejector
HK 100 degree locking piece
HK FBI Safe/Semi Lower (the Cohaire ones are garbage)
HK strutted hammer
HK 9mm MP5 hammer spring
HK cocking hander and tube support (cohaire are plastic and junk)
HK rear sight drum (you will find this is the best to have)

All of the above parts I bought from Adam Webber at hkparts.net , they ran me around 700 dollars, plus the 1200 I paid for the gun plus the 200 dollars tax stamp totals 2100 dollars.

That is still less expensive than a HK94 and now that I have repaired it works perfectly 100 % of the time, it is extremely accurate and throws brass in a consistent pattern 12 feet to my 2 o'clock right side.

I am very pleased with my "repaired"/"revamped" CA94.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I'm making a list of parts I may need to buy, and spare parts to keep on hand
when something eventually breaks or wears out.
And keep 2 extractor springs on hand, one action 3 S-Spring, and the retaining pin for the bolt head that keeps the Action 3 spring in place.

I have heard that the Action 3 S-spring never breaks but it is always better to be prepared for any eventuality.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I don't really see a problem with wwb from walmart. I have shot thousands and thousands of rounds of this and never had any problems. What issues do most people have with it?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts