HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my PTR 91 back at the end of May for a college graduation present. Since then I put a sling, a RTG US made muzzle break, a real STANAG HK claw mount with added picatinny rail, and a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 scope. I opted for magnified/high magnification because this is my new hunting rifle. Some of the places I hunt I have the opportunity to shoot 600+ yards, and it will make it a lot easier to distinguish between a button buck and a doe at 100 yards. So I know I'm showing off the rifle but what the hell. Tell me what you think and how you like it.
Brand new

After it all

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Very nice. All you need now is a paddle mag release!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice. All you need now is a paddle mag release!
i thought about it but decided its not worth the hassel. i am also saving for the rtg slip over cheek weld or the magpul full sniper stock. i havent skimped so far so thats the only reason im thinking of going with the magpul. the claw mount and burris extreme tactical medium mount put the scope just a tad to high, and only my chin touches the stock.

i also for got to mention the reticle on the scope is a BDC reticle

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I really like that PRS stock. That would make it very nice although I've heard they're kinda heavy. Don't forget to get a ghilliebear heavy buffer.

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
I have a Nikon 3-9 x 50 Prostaff BDC on a FAL that I like very much. I'm sure it will work wonders on the G3. Even though I low-mounted the scope, it's still too high and I went with the Magpul PRS2 adjustable stock. It's a perfect combination, and lets me dial in the scope / stock combo perfectly. Go for it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really like that PRS stock. That would make it very nice although I've heard they're kinda heavy. Don't forget to get a ghilliebear heavy buffer.
thats the only thing i dont like about the stock and another main reason for not getting it right now. as the rifle sits in the pic above it weighs and unofficial 13.8 lbs (weighed on the bathroom scale), really dont want to add anymore weight. that thing was a beast to lug around before the scope. also as far as the buffer i doubt im going to need it. im a big guy and the recoil was very light to start. i cant wait to see what its like with the additional weight add plus the muzzle break. i bet it is minimal. it was only after 2 days and 240 rounds that my shoulder got slightly sore and was fine the following day.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Yeah, if you're gonna lug it around in the woods, that stock may not be the best option. Still a bad ass stock. Just too heavy. Too bad they don't make a lightweight version.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, if you're gonna lug it around in the woods, that stock may not be the best option. Still a bad ass stock. Just too heavy. Too bad they don't make a lightweight version.
yea i really want it but man the weight. pops already forbids me from using 4 wheelers on the hunting property (except when pulling deer out) and some of the stands are a god 10 min walk, and future stands will be up to 15-20min

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just looked up specs on the magpul stock and there is no way in hell im putting that bad boy on my gun as nice as it is. as i said, as my rifle sits it weighs 13.8 lbs roughly, add the magpul at 1.9 lbs and im looking at almost a 16 lb hunting rifle. my mind is made im gettin the slip over cheek weld.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Congrats on graduating! I wish I got a gun when I got my degrees. :( Looks like you may need a cheekpiece to get a good cheekweld for that optic but if you can, the gun will do 600M.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats on graduating! I wish I got a gun when I got my degrees. :( Looks like you may need a cheekpiece to get a good cheekweld for that optic but if you can, the gun will do 600M.
thats y i got the bdc reticle. one of the places i hunt has a bunch of open farm land with 140-180 class white tail. im looking into the slip over cheek weld for it as the magpul stock will make it way to heavy and probably an extended butt pad to make my eye relief exactly where it needs to be. right now it is comfortable but not perfect for me and my scope is as far forward as possible

·
Registered
279 Posts
Congrats on your degree and rifle!! Welcome to the best Site for HK and clones around. As far as cheek pieces go, the Cherokee from RTG is really nice. I had an e&l once and learned that the more fixed a cheek piece is the more of a hassle it is to get off if you damage your optics and want to go back to your irons. The Cherokee pops right on and off. Its still very stable though. When I hunted with my 91, I found the hk slings with the sliders that hooked in the hanger on the hand guard very comfortable for treks to the stand. RTG has them also. When carried across the chest the sling supports the weight of the rifle and keeps it handy to quickly snap to shooting position. If you go to RTG's site and click on the cloth slings you can see examples of carry options. I second the advice for the Ghillie buffer. Hard to go wrong there. Have fun man.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
After I get my 93 clone built the next mods to my PTR 91 (TC heavy barrel, similar to yours) will be a Magpul adjustable stock and the Fleming trigger housing with paddle mag release, match sear spring, trigger job, winter trigger guard and a good AR15 grip, likely a Magpul. You will definitely want a trigger job if you are using it for any serious purpose, the stock trigger is atrocious!

BTW the Magpul stock has a built in fully adjustable cheek piece

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congrats on your degree and rifle!! Welcome to the best Site for HK and clones around. As far as cheek pieces go, the Cherokee from RTG is really nice. I had an e&l once and learned that the more fixed a cheek piece is the more of a hassle it is to get off if you damage your optics and want to go back to your irons. The Cherokee pops right on and off. Its still very stable though. When I hunted with my 91, I found the hk slings with the sliders that hooked in the hanger on the hand guard very comfortable for treks to the stand. RTG has them also. When carried across the chest the sling supports the weight of the rifle and keeps it handy to quickly snap to shooting position. If you go to RTG's site and click on the cloth slings you can see examples of carry options. I second the advice for the Ghillie buffer. Hard to go wrong there. Have fun man.
Thanks. I have the Cherokee on its way and the butt pad extender but I got them both from hk parts. They had them both do I made one order. I have emailed rtg before. GREAT customer service. Very knowledgable and very helpful, but I get the impression that rtg is a smaller company than hk parts. Hk parts ships same day if u get ur order in early enough. I'm hoping to get both prices before Friday as I'm going to sight in my rifle at my camp.

I also have just a basic one price sling from academy. It's the super sling. I use them on all my rifles.
The muzzle brake is from rtg claw mount from rtg and picatinni rail is from hk parts ($5 cheaper)

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Also send your trigger pack out to Bill Springfield. Have him do a trigger job on it. Best money spent.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I have the Blackhawk 3 point SAW sling on my PTR.. it really helps

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also send your trigger pack out to Bill Springfield. Have him do a trigger job on it. Best money spent.
i thought about it, but i emailed him about it a while back before joining the forum. i got his email off here and sent him a message about price and services, mostly cuz i thought he was a guy working in his garage and never got an email back, then i found his website, but i kinda got turned off when i got no response.
honestly though i dont mind the trigger. my first/main deer hunting rifle, ruger m77 mark II all weather 3006, from what im told also has a strong trigger pull. im actually kinda fond of a strong trigger, but i do understand that a lighter trigger means less torque on the rifle

1 - 20 of 40 Posts