HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a Hk91 receiver for a project. It had a port buffer on it and these pictures show what it looks like when you remove it. The port buffer was properly installed, so removal was easy. I thought some of you may appreciate these pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had HK remove mine prior to refinishing my 91, told them to leave it off. Was considering using plasti-dip to coat the inside of the port buffer and reinstalling. Figured the plasti-dip might protect the rifle from a new case of "receiver rash". Any thoughts?

·
2,832 Posts
any interest in selling the port buffer? I have a 91 that had a buffer and it was removed...might as well put it back.

John

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
M700308

I don't know anything about the coating you are considering, so I honestly don't know if it will prevent receiver rash. Due to the expense of a Hk buffer I would hate to see you ruin your port buffer attempting to coat it. Please note that the "rash" is under the port buffer and is only visible when the port buffer is removed. I was astounded by how much the finish was marred; that is what prompted me to share the pictures. You have to weigh the importance of the buffer to the perfect finish. IMHO when you shoot/ use the rifle you are going to have dings etc in the new finish, so why not re-install the buffer.

Or you could also sell it to Landpimp and spend the money on a pile of Hk91 magazines.

FWIW I am not putting a port buffer back on that gun. It is offically retired, so there is no point.

HTH

·
Registered
257 Posts
When installing, put several layers of "heavy" plastic under the buffer / on top of the receiver. After the buffer is in place, flex it away from the receiver and remove the plastic (?visqueen found in hardware stores by the roll).

·
Registered
554 Posts
Good pics, that's why I cringe every time I see one on a rifle.
Kind of like the carrying handle.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you plan on buying a used port buffer ask the seller for pictures of the part that hooks into the ejection port. I have seen seven port buffers installed on Hk91s in the last few years. Such a small number in no way makes me an expert, remember free internet advice is just that. Five of them were installed incorrectly. The incorrect installation almost always resuleted in hairline cracks in the folded part of the buffer. When you try to hook these buffers on an ejection port the metal breaks off. I have one where some of the metal has broken off. I will try to get the picture posted sometime this weekend.

+1 on the carry handle!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Im going try and reinvent the wheel on the ones we are [email protected]@3 bearing points that can be tightened and loosened to lessen the wear points.Im also going to produce one that is original 4 us Hknuts!

·
Registered
321 Posts
When I was looking at my first machinegun I talked with T. Dyer (SP?) and he informed me to remove the port buffer and leave it off - if installed - and look at the reciever for it wearing through the reciever. He told me that he has repaired machineguns that had the reciever worn completely through from repeated back and forth motion of the buffer during firing. I'm sure this is from ALOT of rounds but ,it was good enough to not install any on my stuff.
My .02
NoHair

·
Registered
266 Posts
the port buffer was used. to keep the brass from getting beat to death. so you could reload. it...

as a 2nd kicker it will keep you finnish from getting dinged up from shooting..at the cost of dinging up your finnish from installing it..LOL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts