HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me with what should go in a good range bag.

Clearly, ammo, ear & eye protection would be the place to start. But what else? I take delivery of my P2000 9 tomorrow and take my first class in a week giving me some time to get these things together. Again, I appreciate your insight!

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Fisrt off let me welcome you to this wonderful forum!!! You will really enjoy it!!
Happy & SAFE Shooting!!
Extra Mags, good gun cleaning kit, do a search for some Lube, Good silicone based rags. Towell for sweat. Cap with bill on it. to help defray odd hot brass ejction into shirt. Sight adjustment tool. Gloves if you want to shoot that way.

Do you plan on reloading? If so save your brass in the box you took it out of. Other than that you should be ready to go!! TJ

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
Please help me with what should go in a good range bag.

Clearly, ammo, ear & eye protection would be the place to start. But what else? I take delivery of my P2000 9 tomorrow and take my first class in a week giving me some time to get these things together. Again, I appreciate your insight!
I keep a bunch of those orange target stickers, some paper targets printed at home (no need to waste $$$ on single-use targets from the range, I put multiple targets on one sheet), a few simple hand tools to fit any screws on the gun like sights, etc., some gun oil and cleaning patches, one of those silicon cleaning cloths to wipe it down before I leave, an old t-shirt to wipe sweat or whatever down during shooting, a mag loader, and some spare parts. The tools and spare parts will vary depending on if they're needed/available for your gun, but the other items are pretty much universal.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I have...

1.) Electronic Ear Protection and several extra sets of foam plugs
2.) Safety Glasses with clear and yellow lenses
3.) A small cleaning kit with a colapsable rod, brush, patches, jag, oil/solvent, and silicon cloth
4.) A 4-in-1 Armorer's tool
5.) Extra mags
6.) Mag holders
7.) Shot Timer
8.) Staple Gun with extra staples
9.) Black marker and two different colored highlighters
10.) Swiss Army Knife and/or a Leatherman Tool
11.) Small flashlight
12.) Notepad
13.) Mini first-aid kit (simple bandages, gauze, tape, and antibiotic ointment)
14.) Small binoculars
15.) Can of white spray paint
16.) Holsters

I think that's it... :D

·
Registered
632 Posts
Besides the ammo and mags

foam rubber ear plugs, can't stand wearing ear muffs

BREAK FREE

a small rag

paper targets

stapler (to staple the target on the target stand)

sight adjusting tool for whatever rifle I will be using

spotting scope

sectional cleaning rod

rupture case extractor for whatever caliber of rifle I will be shooting

and a couple of small bags filled with kitty litter that I use as a rifle rest. I bought some empty shotgun pellet bags at a gunshow for like a dollar a piece, that suited that purpose perfectly.

course you can use most anything, a buddy of mine took some old pair of jeans and cut the legs off of them, had his wife sewed one leg shut, he filled it with aquarium gravel, then sewed the other leg shut. I don't have a wife, and don't own a sewing machine so I used duct tape to seal the end of the shotgun bag after filling it.

all of these things fit nicely in one of those cheapie plastic tool box that I picked up at wally world long ago.

you don't need to go "hog wild" with all sorts of stuff I see some folks carry out to the firing line. They look like somekind of half ass astronaut when they start pulling things out from big boxes. Keep it simple, and just take out what you will need

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
I keep mine pretty simple eyes, ears, CLP, staple gun extra staples, targets in tow, extra ammo, and mags.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Soft Gun Case:
1. Firearms (some in gun socks)
2. Extra mags
3. Bipods
4. Optics
5. Forearms/vertical grips

Range Bag
1. Ammo
2. Tools (allen wrenches, different tips [torx/allen/etc.] for screwdrivers, jags, brushes)
3. Cleaning patches, Q-tips, toothbrush
4. Bore snakes
5. Cleaning rods
6. Stick on targets
7. Silicone gun rag
8. Safety glasses & ear plugs
9. Solvents (gun oil, copper solvent, bore cleaner, etc)

I'm really trying to cut down on the amount of cleaning supplies that I keep in my bag. I rarely clean my gun at the range, so I'm trying to keep hauling all that dead weight around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You notice nobody mentioned beer? Commonly called group tightners, beers are great additions to any range bag.

·
Registered
116 Posts
One thing that i always carry in addition to those that other have mentioned is a Quick Clot sponge. Its what the military guys carry to put on wounds over in the sand box. these work very well, i have used them. U prob need to read up on them before u use one on someone because the get extremly hot, but between bleeding out and having a minor burn, ill take the burn all day long. Just search "quick clot" on the net if u want to find some.
-Jason G

·
Registered
349 Posts
That has nothing to do with being allegedly drunk. He would have shot himself had he been sober. And if he was drunk with only a .09 alcohol, maybe some of the people he was with should have doen a better job of keeping the firearm away form him. I don't feel sorry for irresponsable people. To say nothing of this kid being a police officer. That's as bad as out here in Phoenix a couple of years ago when an motorcycle officer was killed riding his personal bike...without a helmet!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well here it is...can't wait to put some rounds through it

As a rook, I had to clue what to put in there....thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
..........And if he was drunk with only a .09 alcohol, maybe some of the people he was with should have doen a better job of keeping the firearm away form him...........
.08 is enough to be legally drunk in many states (it is here anyway). Agreed about others being (not) responsible enough to stop him.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
That has nothing to do with being allegedly drunk. He would have shot himself had he been sober. And if he was drunk with only a .09 alcohol, maybe some of the people he was with should have doen a better job of keeping the firearm away form him. I don't feel sorry for irresponsable people. To say nothing of this kid being a police officer. That's as bad as out here in Phoenix a couple of years ago when an motorcycle officer was killed riding his personal bike...without a helmet!!!
But had he been sober, 2 things may have been different -
1 - he may have remembered to check the chamber
2. he may have remembered that that lots of people are accidentally shot with unloaded guns, and not put it to his neck in the first place

As for the .09 - some people are really loopy at .09. I don't lose my mental faculties at .09, so if someone saw me doing something stupid, I'd say "yup, that's stupid. thanks for looking out for me." But I have friends that at .09 are completely irrational and can't be reasoned with whatsoever. And by that I mean if they DID have a gun, their response would be "Try and take it from me than." Fortunately, none of them are CCW holders other. If they were, I wouldn't be around them when they start drinking, I'd leave.

There are a few things that are REALLY bad ideas to mix with alcohol, even worse than driving which is bad enough - one of those is flying, and the other is guns. You do one of those and drink at the same time, and you get what's coming to you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts