HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that MR556 isn't widely available (saw 2 on gunbroker) as of now, but I see quite a few uppers are available.
What happened to the production of MR556?
Are they temporally filing up the contact order?
When should we expect to have more MR556s coming to the market?

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Off the top of my head, I'd say there is an election coming in November and people are snatching them up as fast as they can.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Does someone have a big contract on the MRs? My impression is that it's mainly a civilian gun and most LEOs or gov agencies would either buy 416s, or other cheaper ARs if they want semi only.

Or are you saying that HK-USA is using their production capabilities for something else?

I agree about them not being around lately as I don't think I've seen one at a gun show for a while. But, they never have been that common in my experience. Even when i saw them, a show may have 1 or 2 at most, but I've seen a bunch more of LWRC, and tons more Colts, S&W, Bushy, etc. The ones I saw at my LGS sat around for months because of their high price. There are still tons of other ARs at shows and in shops, so I'd think it's more of a production thing that a ton of people suddenly deciding to buy a $2500+ AR and pass on all the others.

·
Registered
258 Posts
maybe some of the production shifted towards the M27 contract? I'm by no means in the know nor do I know anything about HK's domestic direction here... but seeing how the barrel length and profile is (seems) the same, and the upper halve and lower blanks would start off the same, as well as other parts i would think it would be an easy transition to go from producing MR556's to M27's in the same location.

·
Registered
177 Posts
They are just behind in their production...like everybody else in the gun business right now.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
They are just behind in their production...like everybody else in the gun business right now.
For "overpriced fail, that no one but some die hards will buy" it sells quite good, does it? Funny :)

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
For "overpriced fail, that no one but some die hards will buy" it sells quite good, does it? Funny :)
Well, that depends on how many HK actually made and what their current production rate is. Going to gun shows recently, I have no problem finding almost any other gun, including other EBRs, high end or not. There are probably only 2 reasons they are hard to find now. Either they are high production and there is a massive run on the MR specifically, or they were produced in relatively low numbers and production may currently be stopped, and they have simply sold out of the current small inventory. I'm guessing #2 is more likely than #1. Maybe they made just enough for the die-hards. If that was exactly their intention, then it might be considered a success. The interesting thing will be to see what happens long term.

My feeling is that the US MR556A1 fits in the high-end AR category like LWRC, KAC, etc. These guns are expensive, high quality, and more than the average shooter probably needs or wants. They are never going to be sold in the numbers that S&W, Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA, or Colt are, and their production numbers probably reflect that. I still think a lot of people who bought the MR are HK fans, but how does the gun do in picking up non-HK fans? It would be interesting to see HKs munbers vs. other high end ARs, but I'm sure we never will.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
When I bought mine at a LGS they said they probably wont get another shipment for probably 6 months. They usually sell 4 a month and have always had at least one in stock since I started going there. I havent seen another one in stock since. (Anywhere).

·
Registered
89 Posts
What's unusual about something from HK being in short supply from time to time? Whether it's rifles, pistols, mags, etc....that's just par for the course.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got mine a few days ago in AL for $2495 they still had a few left.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Well, that depends on how many HK actually made and what their current production rate is. Going to gun shows recently, I have no problem finding almost any other gun, including other EBRs, high end or not. There are probably only 2 reasons they are hard to find now. Either they are high production and there is a massive run on the MR specifically, or they were produced in relatively low numbers and production may currently be stopped, and they have simply sold out of the current small inventory. I'm guessing #2 is more likely than #1. Maybe they made just enough for the die-hards. If that was exactly their intention, then it might be considered a success. The interesting thing will be to see what happens long term.

My feeling is that the US MR556A1 fits in the high-end AR category like LWRC, KAC, etc. These guns are expensive, high quality, and more than the average shooter probably needs or wants. They are never going to be sold in the numbers that S&W, Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA, or Colt are, and their production numbers probably reflect that. I still think a lot of people who bought the MR are HK fans, but how does the gun do in picking up non-HK fans? It would be interesting to see HKs munbers vs. other high end ARs, but I'm sure we never will.
Definitely won't be seeing a MR556 at the local Wal-Mart any time soon, that's for sure! ;-)

·
Registered
12 Posts
A dealer from south LA at the last GS had one on the table for 2799. Said he had a few more back at his store and had sold several of them recently.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There are so many back-logs right now in the firearm industry especially with the election approximately two months away. No one can deny that Obama has been a boom to the firearms industry and deserves the moniker "firearms salesman of the year."

I tried looking for a H&K P30 and there are none to be found

·
Registered
7 Posts
Got tired of seeing them for $4-5000.00 range so I picked up a Colt 6940P upper for $1800. Very and I do mean very happy with it.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had to order mine from gunbroker, got it 3 weeks ago and finally picked it up on sept. 11th. Since then i have only seen 2 more pop up for sale. First post btw, going to post some pics later after I set up my sling mounts/sling.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts