HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my first personal firearm and rifle and HK was the SL-7. I absolutely love them; look, feel, features, performance, accuracy. I just love these damn things, so I looked for a good condition one for a decent price and did so for some time, and by some time I mean damn near two years. I'm picky. Anyways, after diligently searching my life away (gross misrepresentation) I finally found her, where else but here of course. When the deal was brokered and she finally arrived at my FFL I was giddy. I ran down as soon as I received my confirmation of delivery email. Apparently on Fridays, most FFL's are quite busy so it is not uncommon for a delivery to have to wait until the next day before it can be properly received and logged. :'( . So I came back the next day before the store opened and waited anxiously for them to let me in. She was beautiful, and not just like a mail order bride beautiful. I mean beautiful like we were meant to be; like Arthur and his Excalibur, Robin and his bow, like Agent J. and his Cricket. It was love at first sight. Naturally I purchased a few boxes of ammo and as fast as my local speed limits and traffic lights would allow went to my range of choice to try her on for size. After the first few rounds I felt like Harry after Mr. Ollivander handed him what would become his greatest tool and weapon. I knew that no other rifle would ever feel this natural to me. How quickly that first box emptied. I was halfway through my second box when it happened. By now I was quite well adjusted and had moved on to the 100 yard line with the irons. I took a breath, exhaled, and took one more and slowly pulled the trigger back and BRRRRRRRRRT. Holy ******* ****! Did that really just happen?! That one pull had emptied my freshly loaded mag of 4 rounds in under a second. I nearly shat bricks, at my range fast shooting, let alone full auto, will get you kicked off the bench and out of the range. My heart was pounding. Luckily there was only one other shooter present, and he looked just about as surprised as I did, but he wasn't asking questions or yelling at me so I tried it again. I loaded up four more rounds, rationalizing that perhaps my finger had just bounced off the trigger guard in a similar fashion to what some of those speed shooting fellars do. I got all lined up, took my shot expecting her to empty my mag again and, and, and nothing. She just fired like normal. Phwew, I thought, I guess it was just me. So I went to take my second shot and BRRT, there she went again, draining my mag in no time. The other fella didn't even bother with a look, in what seemed nearly the same time it had taken me to fire my second burst he was packed and outta there. I was really ****ting bricks now, I figured he was about to run up and report me to the folks at the front desk and that any second now there'd be someone racing down to come cut up my membership and kick my ass outta there. But they never came. Thankfully. So I did what the other fella did and lickity split I swept me brass, packed, and was gone. Got home and was having some big worries, could my SL-7 really be defective(improved)? Just as soon as I could find my cleaning supplies I had her stripped down nekked. As I went through and tidied up I kept my eyes open for any signs of tweaking or mechanical failure, none of which did I ever find. I let her dry, applied some lubricant, and packed her back up. The next day I went straight to the range, not without some trepidation I assure you. But after two more boxes, which happened to be all I had with me, I hadn't been able to replicate my full auto experience. Thankfully. So what is the moral of this story kids? Don't ever take your brand new gun to the range without properly inspecting and cleaning it first. The End.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Interesting adventure! Thanks for sharing that. Must have been something gummed up in the sear maybe? I installed a JP trigger in an AR a few years back and didn't quite get it tuned correctly. It was giving me 2 and 3 shot bursts my first time out. I got the heck off the range in a hurry as its just about 2 miles from the County Sheriffs Headquarters!
Congrats on your purchase. The HK sporting rifles are great rifles!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you drop the trigger housing to get at the fire control group?
I know it's not easy but maybe spraying it with Safariland 'Powder Blast' and cleaning the inside with some q-tips would do the trick.
Then a light spray of rem-oil and a wipe down, reassemble and cross your fingers.
I have never tried to get inside the trigger group assembly to check the sear face but if the misfires happen again, that is where I would look.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've got thousands of rounds through my SL-7 and have never experienced anything other than flawless behavior. I'm not even quite sure how it could stick that way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My guess is the previous owner(s) never cleaned it. Ever. Somehow it just wouldn't reengage after the first shot, but would with a manual charge. If it wasn't engaging at all it would have fired as soon as I pressed the bolt release. THAT would have definitely resulted in a pair of soiled pants. Since I cleaned it thoroughly the first time it hasn't happened to me again. An interesting quirk for sure.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I experienced a similar sitiuation with my first 940. I went to shoot the first 3 rd mag from a bench. The rifle moved easily on the rest and I bump-fired the first mag. A bit of a surprise to be sure. The best surprise was that I kept all three in the 8.5x11" target. The rifle functions normally when held securely either offhand or on a bench. When shooting the sporting rifles from a bench, bump-fire is a possiblity.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3 rounds of 30-06 would really wake you up. It's a good thing recoil on these sporters is minimal. Would you have any ideas on where to get mags for the 940?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@LarryM

No, I just sprayed the living bejeezus out of it with parts cleaner and worked the action. I've heard that taking the triggers apart is a pain in the ass with these rifles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
accuracy load or store bought round??

I've got thousands of rounds through my SL-7 and have never experienced anything other than flawless behavior. I'm not even quite sure how it could stick that way.
Any particular load or bullet weight prove to be most accurate in your SL7? I am finding much better accuracy with 180 gr bullets which perplexes me.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Maybe the previous owner attempted a trigger job on the sear and made your weapon unsafe? To have that type of malfunction happen can cause your receiver to blow up! I would not fire it again until a real gunsmith checked it out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Any particular load or bullet weight prove to be most accurate in your SL7? I am finding much better accuracy with 180 gr bullets which perplexes me.
The best grouping I ever got was 8/10 in 1.5" at 100 yds, using the iron sights. That was with a handloaded 168gr BTHP match bullet. I didn't have a chrono at the time, but was loading towards an estimated 2650 fps according to the Hornady manual. I've only recently acquired a chrono, and only used it to develop loads for someone else's long-range hunting rifle, so don't have "real" data.

Somewhere in my files I've got a catalog and a marketing piece from 1986 (when I bought it), the latter of which has a reprinted article about the SL-7. They commented on achieving best accuracy with 180gr, so your findings are not surprising.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Me personally, I never ever take a new firearm (whether said firearm is brand new; never fired, or simply new to me; used) to the firing line for its baptismal firing session, without first cleaning and lubing it thoroughly. But that's just me. I think at the very least you should have run a cleaning patch through its bore a few times, before first pulling the trigger (which of course has nothing to do with the auto fire experience you encountered).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Me personally, I never ever take a new firearm (whether said firearm is band new; never fired, or simply new to me; used) to the firing line for its baptismal firing session, without first cleaning and lubing it thoroughly. But that's just me. I think at the very least you should have run a cleaning patch through its bore a few times, before first pulling the trigger (which of course has nothing to do with the auto fire experience you encountered).
x2 Always clean and check it out myself first. When I got my SCAR 17 I almost gave in and shot it when I picked it up though...was sitting in the car contemplating going back in.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I always clean something new before using (the corrosion inhibitors are not the same as lubricants), and after every reassembly do the following checks:

1) Safety off. Cycle the action. Pull the trigger. It should drop the hammer.
2) If DA is available, try that. It should cock and drop the hammer.
3) Set the safety. Cycle the action, then pull the trigger. It should NOT drop.
4) Release the trigger, unset the safety, pull the trigger. It should drop. Leave the trigger pulled.
5) Cycle the action. The hammer should NOT drop when the action cycles.
6) Release the trigger, then pull again. THe hammer should drop.

Step 5 would probably (should have) have caught the problem the OP describes.

Still, unless modified, I'm not sure what would cause this on the SL-7.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the info

:61:
The best grouping I ever got was 8/10 in 1.5" at 100 yds, using the iron sights. That was with a handloaded 168gr BTHP match bullet. I didn't have a chrono at the time, but was loading towards an estimated 2650 fps according to the Hornady manual. I've only recently acquired a chrono, and only used it to develop loads for someone else's long-range hunting rifle, so don't have "real" data.

Somewhere in my files I've got a catalog and a marketing piece from 1986 (when I bought it), the latter of which has a reprinted article about the SL-7. They commented on achieving best accuracy with 180gr, so your findings are not surprising.
Thanks, I'll direct my reloads in that bullet weight range, got some nice 1.5" groups yesterday with some 155HPBT match bullets and Vht 135powder.

·
Registered
132 Posts
:61:

Thanks, I'll direct my reloads in that bullet weight range, got some nice 1.5" groups yesterday with some 155HPBT match bullets and Vht 135powder.
I think my best was using IMR 3031, but I seem to have been a dumbass and not recorded that in the reloading manual. I *should* have it recorded somewhere (I've got a bad mix of "save everything" and "I'll remember") but it's not at hand.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Maybe the previous owner attempted a trigger job on the sear and made your weapon unsafe? To have that type of malfunction happen can cause your receiver to blow up! I would not fire it again until a real gunsmith checked it out.
This.

To OP, in your original post you said moral of the story... But you never found any issue. You haven't learned any moral. So what, you cleaned it and it hasn't done it again -yet-. You didn't actually figure anything out. All this crap about people's cleaning schedules and accuracy reports that follow your post are completely off topic. No amount of dirt and grime should make a weapon fire full auto much less it's entire mag (slam fire?). It's incredibly unsafe and very narrow minded to think you've solved this problem. I for one would NOT want to be shooting on the same range as you!

Be responsible please.

·
Registered
132 Posts
This.

To OP, in your original post you said moral of the story... But you never found any issue. You haven't learned any moral. So what, you cleaned it and it hasn't done it again -yet-. You didn't actually figure anything out. All this crap about people's cleaning schedules and accuracy reports that follow your post are completely off topic. No amount of dirt and grime should make a weapon fire full auto much less it's entire mag (slam fire?). It's incredibly unsafe and very narrow minded to think you've solved this problem. I for one would NOT want to be shooting on the same range as you!

Be responsible please.
Yes, the OP has not determined the cause of the malfuntion, and while I agree that some posts digressed from the original topic, that doesn't make them crap. Is there something constructive you're attempting to convey? I also don't see how dirt and grime could make the SL-7 go full-auto, but if it did, why would emptying a magazine (four rounds total) be out of the question?

The pre-range checks I listed would be a proper preliminary to ascertaining correct function. *Any* failures there would need to be investigated.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Is there something constructive you're attempting to convey?
The OP should immediately take it to a qualified smith and not consider his cleaning routine to be a magical fix.

I also don't see how dirt and grime could make the SL-7 go full-auto, but if it did, why would emptying a magazine (four rounds total) be out of the question?
Slamfire or hammer follow auto is not equal to select-fire or even select-fire by means of a malfuction. Having a gun that fires full auto when the trigger is held down at least tells me the disconnector OR sear may be failing but this malfunction is a least safe-ish because letting of the trigger stops the action. Having a gun that dumps the entire mag regardless of trigger condition is VERY VERY UNSAFE. The OP did not express that it stopped if he let go of the trigger, he implied the opposite actually that one press and the mag contents mysteriously vanished. If you get slamfire or any malfunction that ignores the trigger state and dumps the mag you MUST have it fixed asap, this is not a, "well, I'll clean it and see what happens" issue. It is negligent to suggest otherwise.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts