HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friend got this new document editing/Photoshop thing on his computer and he makes a fake web news announcement from a shooting website saying that HK is ceasing production of the USP and focusing more on the HK45 and P lines.

It was a mean joke thankfully.

Well I just had about a heart attack for 1.3 seconds but then knew that you guys would know about it first.

But it did get me thinking. Would the USP ever be cancelled? Its the gun that is the forerunner for every other handgun they have. SIG has kept the P220 since the 70's.

So if the USP was ever discontinued. What would you guys do? I'd probably run up my credit cards and buy 3 more just to have lol

-DBLAction454

·
Registered
313 Posts
I hope not as I like the USP series better than any of HK's other offerings. Since I think the R&D and tooling costs were long ago paid for, making a profit on them shouldn't be too difficult. However, I saw more USP's with older date codes and price tags languishing behind sales counters than I did P series and HK45 series guns. Those seem to be today's darlings. I don't see HK winning any large military or civilian contracts with a USP series gun in the future so I guess it's possible it could get the axe, especially if HK comes up with something newer such as a striker fired gun that would draw even more sales from it.

I'd be curious to see the sales figures of USP's versus the newer guns HK makes. If a cancellation was announced, I'd definitely go on a buying spree before they achieved "Rare, Hard to find, When they're gone they're gone!" prices.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
Honestly, I bet we'd see the P2000 retired long before the USP Series. As long as there are buyers and contracts, I think the USP will remain. Thankfully, the CBP has a decent number of P2000's and a contract to boot. So, even the P2000 is protected for awhile. For those that are worried about the demise of the USP, purchase an extra or two, perhaps three and live on. Can't sit around worrying about something we can't control.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
But it did get me thinking. Would the USP ever be cancelled?
It will be, when there will be no longer demand for it. For now it still lives. Polish Special Forces Command just selected USP last year, as standard (not sole, but standard) service pistol for units under it's command.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Honestly, I bet we'd see the P2000 retired long before the USP Series. As long as there are buyers and contracts, I think the USP will remain. Thankfully, the CBP has a decent number of P2000's and a contract to boot. So, even the P2000 is protected for awhile. For those that are worried about the demise of the USP, purchase an extra or two, perhaps three and live on. Can't sit around worrying about something we can't control.
Yeah I agree. The USP is still in high demand. I know several officers who prefer the USP line over the new models. Also, there are some departments that will only approve the USP line for duty carry.

·
Registered
281 Posts
From what ive seen on here and read else where, the usp is in higher demand than the p2k series, even with the border patrol contract, so I doubt the usp is going anywhere. The german army still uses it and will be for awhile too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd buy 3 USPc9s if they were about to be discontinued, giving me a total of 5... that should last me quite a while. I don't think many people could wear out 5 USPs. ;)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
No more USP. Boy that would be like McDonald's getting rid of the big MAC. A sad day that would be:-(

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think it will be a long time before we have to worry about that. BUT....think of the pistol that will replace it will be like....

·
Registered
619 Posts
The USP is too tuff to die.
Nuff said Azimuth!

With all the new models coming out I too have wondered if the USP will go the way of the dodo. As others have said, as long as there are still LEO/Military contracts I think we are all safe for now.

I guess on the bright side some of us that own the more customized USP's (Tacs, OD green, Custom Combat, etc.) will see quite a jump in resale value.

At any rate I will just keep shooting the s**t out of mine and just see what happens.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I dont think the USP needs any updates. But instead of scrapping the USP and all the tools used to build them, i could see HK add certain features to the pistol that could make them more favorable for what todays LE seem to look for. Maybe replaceable backstraps, extended mag release, 1913 rail... Small changes/updates that wouldnt break the bank to design/produce but could help reintroduce the pistol as a viable option for todays military/leo. The track record and reliability of the USP speaks for itself, and for alot of people that is all they need. But it seems like militaries today want one pistol that has the ability to fit comfortably in every soldiers hands.

Before i get flamed i want everyone to know that im not saying the USP needs these changes, my first gun was a USP .40 and i loved it. Im just saying if HK ever decided to scrap the USP, they should at least try and give it a shot in the arm and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I dont think the USP needs any updates. But instead of scrapping the USP and all the tools used to build them, i could see HK add certain features to the pistol that could make them more favorable for what todays LE seem to look for. Maybe replaceable backstraps, extended mag release, 1913 rail... Small changes/updates that wouldnt break the bank to design/produce but could help reintroduce the pistol as a viable option for todays military/leo. The track record and reliability of the USP speaks for itself, and for alot of people that is all they need. But it seems like militaries today want one pistol that has the ability to fit comfortably in every soldiers hands.

Before i get flamed i want everyone to know that im not saying the USP needs these changes, my first gun was a USP .40 and i loved it. Im just saying if HK ever decided to scrap the USP, they should at least try and give it a shot in the arm and see what happens.
The HK45/C, P2000, and P30 did a lot of the things in your first paragraph. Many call these pistols the updated versions on the USP series of guns.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You are right they did... But those pistols dont have the longevity/track record of the USP ( not saying those other guns dont have good track records or arent reliable ) Which is why i think it couldnt hurt to try and give it some of the features of the HK45,P30,P2000 before they make the decision to scrap it.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I really hope they stop making all USPs immediately. . . Then all of mine will be worth a fortune :biggrin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts