HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering now days what a fair price is for a new or nearly new w/o box stamped steel receiver SAR 8 with the funky thumb hole stock and pinned on "non flash hider" (don't know if it's solid or a muzzle brake?)

Also what are the legal issues of changing the stock and possible removing the pinned on flash hider, if run as a semi with a regular stock? Most likely will leave as is, except when running with a sear pack (aka host gun), in which case when traveling the imported parts count is down as no trigger pack ;-).

Any down side to the SAR 8?

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
What's he going to be selling them for? I'd be interested in one...

Downside? I don't think so....worst case scenario...if it breaks, send it to Springfield for a free M1A. :)

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
Looking like $900, but the store typically does local retail sales only (only so many hours in a day ... ).
That's a decent price....C'mon, they don't know how to ship? It always kills me when I deal with a shop who has never heard of Gun Broker or Ebay or some of the many free, public boards online? Talk about limiting your business!

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They know how to ship and even take guns in for clients, but they all ready have a large regional client base and sufficient good staff to just cover those clients, plus several part timers and camp followers that fill in during the rush. At this time they are thinking to make a reasonable on line presence they would have to nearly ad another staff member to answer, post, take photos etc. The really interesting used old guns and sort supply items already sell pretty fast and keep the A clients coming in, one can't really complete on line with the common stuff that is in stock nor commodities like ammo and accessories with out an angle and good supplier pricing.

Have talked with another close friend and FFL owner, who is over an hour away ;-), about doing on line sales of some of the slower items, but about the time it looks interesting .... another election comes up and everything is in short supply.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
new or nearly new w/o box stamped steel receiver SAR 8 with the funky thumb hole stock and pinned on "non flash hider"

Also what are the legal issues...
The butthole stock is a ban era gun. All 922r issues apply if you want to change the stocks and break off the faux hider.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
I'd pay up to $1100 for a LNIB example.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The butthole stock is a ban era gun. All 922r issues apply if you want to change the stocks and break off the faux hider.
Options:
1: Leave the faux hider (yuck) and only remove the butthole stock (like the name) when using with a sear, should be no issues ... if the sear hosting trumps the 922r issues, not sure on this one, not a lawyer etc.
2: With the faux hider removed then could pin on a muzzle brake / suppressor adapter. Had though of this for a G3K but not sure on which brand and would have to have the barrel threaded on the gun or remove barrel.
3a: Remove faux hider and playing by the letter (maybe) could always keep a bare receiver (not that many non US parts with out the trigger pack and stock).
3b: Remove faux hider and get the 922r parts as with the number of HK parts around probably need to at least have the 922r parts in a box next to bare receiver.
3c: Remove faux hider, pick up higher end 922r parts (i.e. better trigger pull, magpull stock) and use the rifle as a semi ... darn now still need one for a sear host!
4: Paper and make the SAR8 a "G3K", however, have seen statements that 922r does and does not apply to SBRs over the years.

Thinking will start with Option 1 and live with the faux hider for bit then pick up what 922r parts are the best value for never being used ... or to get a better semi trigger pull.

If end up with two, wonder how hard a G3K or 51 would be ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Sear trumps 922.
922 does apply to SBR.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Appears the barrel is not thread under the faux hider on a sister rifle to mine. Film at 11.
I recently dealt with this with my SAR-8. I sent the barrel to Investment Grade Firearms and had a US made flash suppressor installed. IGF threaded the barrel, installed an adapter, and then installed their US made G3 style flash suppressor on the adapter.

I then installed a US made cocking handle, stock, and trigger pack (trigger box, trigger, sear, and hammer).

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I recently dealt with this with my SAR-8. I sent the barrel to Investment Grade Firearms and had a US made flash suppressor installed. IGF threaded the barrel, installed an adapter, and then installed their US made G3 style flash suppressor on the adapter.

I then installed a US made cocking handle, stock, and trigger pack (trigger box, trigger, sear, and hammer).
Thanks for the data point and appreciate you first posting helping me out.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I noticed that, and is why I was impressed.

Now I have to decide what compliance parts to install, or just leave as is for a sear host or sell to a friend (the other 4 were purchased by the workers), and/or also sell the extra HK91 and get the 308 kit for the MM23eK or just break down and buy the MM21e to go with the MM23eK ... decisions, decisions, decisions ;-)

Thanks!

P.S. Ended up being $799 (got the $1 soda with a gun purchase) out the door with ten mags (two of which are thermold US mags if want to go that ways for parts count)... so not too bad (of course just burned selling for a profit of more than the $1 diet soda, at least here .... ;-).

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Awesome deal, JT. Had I wanted another SAR8 I'd have been all over those.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts