HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem like an odd question but I was just down in my gun room cleaning my HK45 and HK45c after some time at the range today and I was looking over the magazines as I was wiping them down. Then I started thinking "Why does HK make such goofy baseplates for their 45 pistols". I hate the giant "elephant foot" 10 round magazine baseplates on those HK45c mags and even the 10 round HK45 magazines have a big baseplate that sticks awful far out in the front. Both of these magazines just do not fit well in most mag pouches with lids (which I prefer) because you can't get them shut over the large baseplates.

I suppose I could take a dremel tool to them and make them smaller but that just makes me want to cry when the mags cost so much. The flat baseplates from the HK45c (the USP compact flush fit baseplates is what they really are I think) will fit both the 10 round HK45 and HK45c magazines and make them fit mag pouches much better but they still leave a fairly large gap between the baseplate and the bottom of the pistol. Does anyone know of any companies that make baseplate or magazine sleeves (like the XGRIP thing for the P2000) for the HK45c or HK45 10 round mags that might allow me to replace the large factory baseplate?

Just curious. Maybe the Germans know something about baseplates that I don't. LOL!!!!! Both of the factory baseplates I'm talking about seem to want to bring your pinky finger back toward the muzzle. Is that to keep your hand from possibly slipping off the bottom of the pistol? I love my HK pistols but I don't understand their .45 baseplates (my P30 mags are just fine and much more "normal").

·
Registered
179 Posts
They are made that way to stand up to brutal drops/scrapes on the ground. Beefy is better. Todd Green of Pistol Training (.com) modded his (HK45) with a dremel to shave it down. Eh I'll keep mine beefy its only a couple mm more the a regular one. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
5,016 Posts
It's the added weight to ensure that they fall base first. The added material aids in absorbing the shock of the fall. Just a guess, here BTW. I do not have documentation to support this claim, it is only based upon my actual use of said products. I have four P30 mags that have been used extensively the last three years. I have over 15,000 rounds through them and four pistol classes and an estimated 40 pistol matches and they still run like a champ. They've been dropped in or on mud, snow, gravel, concrete, carpet, asphalt, you name it. They still run and surprisingly not a dent to be found. I'll take the added girth anytime, so long as they take the abuse.

Yes, I'll agree OP, the Elephant foot takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Also with the primary and intended application of these pistols for military/LE they are designed for external carry. The larger baseplates facilitate manipulation under harsh conditions, especially with gloved hands. Bill

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good replies from everyone. Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate them. I've decided to not go wild with a dremel tool so I'll just let them keep growing on me. I probably will have to switch to open top magazine pouches though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.