HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it that gets your blood flowing? One of my lgs' has one and ive held it many times, but it just doesnt do anything for me and i LOVE HK! If they were $1200-1400 nib then maybe, but for 2k, id rather get a nice ar or acr, or a couple other hk's. I know how durable they are, but am i missing something?

·
Registered
854 Posts
They aren't in production anymore...and from what I understand they are very 'can' friendly; Its the design that spawned the USP-series...I personally will own one along with a P7 at some point--it speaks differently to different folks...no shame in it :)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I am absolutely in love with the full-size USP45..

Since the Mark 23 was developed and then the USP being developed from the Mark 23 I see them as father and son. The Mark 23 has a oversized and overbuilt everything. It can take thousands of proof loads and last without damage. It's considered an "offensive" handgun....

Being that they are $1800+ and oversized to the point of cartoon large I can't see myself buying one other than to have as a safe queen, very occasional shooter, or to take with me along with my USP's should the world end.

I find the beauty of the Mark 23 through its absolute toughness and durability and similarity to my USP. IMO functionality is ALWAYS more important than asthetics.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The Mark 23 is one HK that really does nothing for me. The gun is a beast, and would be relegated to a range gun for most. I really have no interest in such a beast. However, the gun is just as well built and engineered as any other HK. That alone is enough for some to own the gun. I do enjoy looking at them and handling them, just not a gun for me.

·
Registered
18,635 Posts
The Mark 23 is one HK that really does nothing for me. The gun is a beast, and would be relegated to a range gun for most. I really have no interest in such a beast. However, the gun is just as well built and engineered as any other HK. That alone is enough for some to own the gun. I do enjoy looking at them and handling them, just not a gun for me.
+1. It's one of the few that I don't own and have no plan to buy one anytime soon. It's just not for me. Sorry.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
Given its unique history and availability, its appeal to HK collectors makes some sense.

However, like the Desert Eagle and SPAS 12 shotgun, I feel that it is overly romanticized and the SOCOM is viewed as an end-all/be all by the general public because of its origins despite several drawbacks that should be noticeable even to a novice pistol shooter. This is the same public that would still depict modern Navy SEALs with MP5's, M14's, and woodland camo boonie hats.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Apollo11,TooSixy, and pointblank4445 said it all.I had one for a month before I sold it.It's a beast and due to it's size really just a range gun.I couldn't imagine carrying one.I'm 6'1" with big hands and it was really too big for me.For 99.9% of shooters it does nothing that a USP tactical can't do.Plus it has that "Look at me,Look at me, I've got a big f***ing gun" stigma to it.I can see having one only to round out your collection.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have to agree with you all, I own one and it is just a range gun that has been out a few times. It is fun to shoot but not practical by any means, but it doesn't cost me anything to keep it so I don't plan on selling it.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Well what ya hafta do is grab the Mark 23, put the suppressor on it, point it out in frontt of you at about the 5:00 position and say, "This is a big effin' gun!" It also helps to sort of shake it menacingly with each syllable...hehe. Do that a couple of times and you'll get it. :)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Mark 23 doesn't do anything for me, either. Overpriced and overlarge for anything I'm ever going to do with it. Hell, I think the .45 USP full-size is too big, too, which is one of the reasons I bought a Compact Tactical when I wanted to buy an H&K pistol in .45ACP.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Would rather have the USP45 Tactical. Sure is a nice gun though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Mk23 is the reason why I bought my USPs. I almost finally made the dream come true this year, but ended up with an FNP-45 Tactical instead. I couldn't justify the huge difference in value between the 2. FNP-45 Tactical hasn't quite quenched my desire for a big ass 45 so I'll probably get a Mk23 in the future...

·
Registered
605 Posts
IMHO... The Mark 23 was designed with the purpose of being the only tool to take with you for close up and personal jobs. It was designed reliable and functional to take abuse. It was marketed at a time when guns were literally being out lawed. I see a Mk23 and think "If I ever see someone pull one of these out of a holster, I expect him to be built, in charge and the only thing that comes out of his mouth before using it is GET TO DE CHOPPA!"

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Mk23 is the reason why I bought my USPs. I almost finally made the dream come true this year, but ended up with an FNP-45 Tactical instead. I couldn't justify the huge difference in value between the 2. FNP-45 Tactical hasn't quite quenched my desire for a big ass 45 so I'll probably get a Mk23 in the future...
I was thinking about transition the the fnp Tac, but all the reliability issues on them has steered me astray. I wish I could rent way, but not gun range around me rents them.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts