HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to build a 10mm MP5/10 Semi clone.

What receiver would you guys recommend?

What other parts would I need to complete this project?

any comments or suggestions would be great.

thanks

·
Registered
632 Posts
If you are going the build way, you will be shelling out a lot of money buying pieces and parts, not to mention that it will have to be 922r compliant. In the case of HK type rifles you would be better off buying a ready made clone rifle.

the carrier and bolt alone will cost you 770 bucks, and that does not include the little parts that go on the carrier or bolt, ie extractor etc..

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so it seems impossible to find this clone. I have looked all over. It would have to be a CA89-40 or CA89-10 in pistol format. Thats what I am looking for. If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

·
Vendor
1,306 Posts
What's your budget?

You could get a German parts kit (10mm) and graf the magwell
onto a real 94 or clone. This is what Urbach does.
Mike

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would go the SBR route, it will make finding parts easier since you won't be held to the 922r requirements. For $200 it will save you a lot of headache. You could then convert a Coharie (eww...Toad) pistol into a rifle.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would also go the .40 cal route. The 10mm MP5 was designed around the 'FBI Lite' load and using full-tilt 10mm ammo in it might cut its life really short. The 40 S&W is basically the 10mm 'FBI Lite' and the mags and such will also be easier to find.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
Not sure if he still has it or not, as it was a few weeks ago, but Adam at hkparts.net had a very very nice MP5/10 (or was it /40? can't remember) complete kit. I think it was $1800.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have read so many post about the 10mm. It seems that a lot of people have a lot of opinions about the 10mm being used in a gun designed for a 9mm. I have read a few posts from people who were involved in the FBI program, testing and training with the MP5/10 and they had great insight.

It appears that the rifle was designed to use the FBI Lite Load. The rifle would have difficulties after cycling thousands of rounds of this lite load. They indicated that receiver dimpling was few and far between.

I have read and heard other posts stating that people have had issues with their 9mm and 40cal MP5's. Like anything else, if you use something enough parts will break, especially in full throttle shooting.

Receiver dimpling
.. used to indicate that the rollers have left an impression on the reciever during recoil. When the BC assy impacts the buffer, the BH impinges on the locking piece which acts on the free rollers and forces them out from the bolt head and against the receiver rail. Eventually this will leave a dimple or high spot that is visible on the sheet metal. (their are some pix on these forums of the condition.)

Excessive dimpling/distortion could indicate a failing buffer system, headspace problems, poor quality receiver material, or over-pressure rounds.
To keep this from happening the experts have advised to stay away from high pressure rounds sold by certain manufacturers that like to please their customers with kickass i.e.1450 fps 10mm rounds. Also, they advise that someone with a little more knowledge and patients work with the 10mm design. Once you fine tune the 10mm MP5 design it runs just like the rest, you just have to be a little more careful and pay attention to tell tale signs of fatigue and parts degredation.

It seems in most cases people say the 10mm is a waste of money unless you are actually using the rifle to kill things not just put holes in paper targets. I say, "I have used 10mm before, I loved it, I can afford it, and I am going to purchase it in the future." I can't wait to own an HK94/MP5 style weapon system. This system coupled with the 10mm should be really fun and a learning experience!

What exactly is an FBI lite load 10mm anyways?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts