HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
POF? LW? Bushmaster? Any others I have forgotten?

Where is the best place to get a POF upper? I am interested in new or used.... I want a couple of 16"s....

·
Registered
422 Posts
I do not have experience with LW but I hear the LW are the best and closest you can get.
POF is a name knock off(Ie, POF 416 is NOT a HK416) and I have never heard about a Bush Master piston upper, Colt is close on one but nothing from BM.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
i heard somewhere the bushy piston upper is similar to the POF. I've also heard the LW is the closest to the 416. As long as its a short stroke gas piston, with regultor, it will work the same as the 416.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone have a POF or LW? I am looking for more info on the gas piston systems.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Before I bought my LW I looked at it and the POF. The difference between the 2 is that the POF has plated internals and uses a gas system related to an FAL.
The LW has its internals coated, but IMO, it would have been nice if they plated it like the POF. The LW gas system is self regulating, so you can slap a supressor on and fire away. For the POF, you have to flip the piston.
Because of that, I'd say the LW is probably closer in operation to the HK, which is one of the reasons I picked it up.
The second reason is Customer Service and availability. POF did not return my emails or calls, but LW did, and promptly too.
They also spent a good amount of time with me on the phone just chewing the fat and helping me understand the system.
Regarding availability... (at this point and time) POF=Take a number, LW=Has some in stock and some of their dealers are currently stocked.

Anyways, if you have the chance, go try and look at both. And while I may have sounded like I was a bit harsh on POF, I still kinda want one. I have 2 FAL's and I'm familiar with the system, so operating a POF should be the same. Talk about Black Rifle Disease!

·
Registered
118 Posts
What price ranges should we expect from POF and LW?

-ayan

For both POF and LW Upper only, expect to pay a price around what you'd pay for a PTR91 Complete. For a complete POF or LW rifle, expect to pay amounts close to what DSA charges for their complete SA58's.

Just to give you an idea, my 14.5" LW was about $1200 after taxes. But, as I understand it, POF makes an upper in the $900 range, but even at that point if you look hard enough, you can find a PTR91 for the same amount. :94:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just to give you an idea, my 14.5" LW was about $1200 after taxes. But, as I understand it, POF makes an upper in the $900 range, but even at that point if you look hard enough, you can find a PTR91 for the same amount. :94:
Yea -- I just called LW for a quote. Their 14.5" SOC uppers chambered in .556 and 6.8 are $1430 and $1530 respectively.

Complete weapons are $1795 and $1895.

If anyone knows of a group buy, please let me know. :^)

-ayan

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 16" POF Upper on a Rock River Lower and absolutely love it. I have a couple HK m16 mags for it and it is utterly reliable. Never seen a mag put together so well.

If you look on POF's Web site and look at the customer gallery, mine is Rich's Black Mamba.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Before I bought my LW I looked at it and the POF. The difference between the 2 is that the POF has plated internals and uses a gas system related to an FAL.
The LW has its internals coated, but IMO, it would have been nice if they plated it like the POF. The LW gas system is self regulating, so you can slap a supressor on and fire away. For the POF, you have to flip the piston.
Because of that, I'd say the LW is probably closer in operation to the HK, which is one of the reasons I picked it up.
The second reason is Customer Service and availability. POF did not return my emails or calls, but LW did, and promptly too.
They also spent a good amount of time with me on the phone just chewing the fat and helping me understand the system.
Regarding availability... (at this point and time) POF=Take a number, LW=Has some in stock and some of their dealers are currently stocked.

Anyways, if you have the chance, go try and look at both. And while I may have sounded like I was a bit harsh on POF, I still kinda want one. I have 2 FAL's and I'm familiar with the system, so operating a POF should be the same. Talk about Black Rifle Disease!
Do you have pics of the LW?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I LIKE BOTH FLAVORS

take a pick!!!! :59: chocolate or strawberry

I had ZERO problems with either piston upper however the complete POF system upper lower looks more like a HK416 than my LMT/LW AR .....

Also Busmaster beat Colt in producing the piston upper they have a PISTON UPPER already out they are only selling complete rifles though my C3 SOT has 2 in stock they are running about $1600 per rifle avail in 16" to civilians 14" and under to C3 Only according to Bushmaster

·
Registered
3 Posts

Wow.
Please allow me to correct your statement. You may not fully aware of how our operating system works. We have a reversable gas piston, which offers two modes of fire. Our system WILL work in either position with a suppressor. We offer a additional option to allow the user to reduce gas pressure when using a suppressor. We have been doing this for awhile now. Add a suppressor to any weapon system and it WILL pressure the weapon up (IE: increased rate of fire).

H&K uses self regualting gas piston system. Lw uses a operating system that is very close in design to H&K's system. H&K just showed their latest upgrade to their HK417 weapon system using a dual mode set up for normal and suppressed modes. They just showed this at HK-Blackwater International Training Services Demo and Open House October 23. 2006. It's nice to see others agree with our engineering / design (Large/oversized barrel nut, mechanical key behind the cam pin on the carrier, and dual mode of fire for normal and supressed operation).
Best regards,

www.POF-USA.com

“A STRIKING DEVELOPMENT IN THE HK417--- A VARIABLE GAS SETTING FOR “N”ORMAL AND “S”UPPRESSED .308 AMMUNITION. IT ALLOWS 7.62 NATO BULLET WEIGHTS RANGING FROM 135-185 GRAINS TO BE FIRED RELIABLY, AND TO PREVENT OVERFUNCTIONING OF THE RIFLE OF RIFLE WHEN USED WITH HEAVIER BULLETS AND A SUPPRESSOR…”

·
Registered
3 Posts
take a pick!!!! :59: chocolate or strawberry

I had ZERO problems with either piston upper however the complete POF system upper lower looks more like a HK416 than my LMT/LW AR .....

Also Busmaster beat Colt in producing the piston upper they have a PISTON UPPER already out they are only selling complete rifles though my C3 SOT has 2 in stock they are running about $1600 per rifle avail in 16" to civilians 14" and under to C3 Only according to Bushmaster

SOME GUY'S GET TO HAVE ALL THE TOYS!!

·
Vendor
1,602 Posts
We sell both the HK uppers and the POF uppers. I think if I recall correctly,
we bought a complete rifle system for POF in 10/04 or during that time
frame, it is a 16" fluted barrel standard front sight and flip up rear sight (troy).

Since that time we have fire about 80K rounds thru it and clean it
sparingly running a swab thru the barrel or wiping out the chamber/receiver area. It still going strong.

This is one of the nicest bar none, of all AR15 platforms we have tested. No more blow back in your face, dead nuts on at 100 yard iron sights out of the box. The rail system is the best I have seen for this type rifle. I am happy to indorse and sell it, as a supplement to our HK business.

Use the M4 Maritime Mags also where on some of the other lowers we have had issues with them.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Still I have to say that these piston uppers are a solution in search of a problem.

I have talked to friends who came back from the sandbox, as well as tours in other harsh environments, and none of them have ever heard of fellow soldiers experiencing jams due to the M16/M4 platform gas systems. And they do fire on FA whereas most of us civvies do not.

Personally I have fired tens of thousands of rounds through my various AR15 rifles and have never experienced jams beyond ammo related problems such as a seperated reloaded case or a bad primer. I see absolutely no reason to retrofit my guns with thousands of dollars worth of new parts in order to solve a non-existant problem.

I guess I just don't get it. But hey, it is your money. Well actually, not for long as you pay it to these companies for their shiny new parts.

·
Vendor
1,602 Posts
Where you gain the biggest advantage is using this upper on a M16
lower, that is where you experience the biggest advantage.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wow.
Please allow me to correct your statement. You may not fully aware of how our operating system works. We have a reversable gas piston, which offers two modes of fire. Our system WILL work in either position with a suppressor. We offer a additional option to allow the user to reduce gas pressure when using a suppressor. We have been doing this for awhile now. Add a suppressor to any weapon system and it WILL pressure the weapon up (IE: increased rate of fire).

H&K uses self regualting gas piston system. Lw uses a operating system that is very close in design to H&K's system. H&K just showed their latest upgrade to their HK417 weapon system using a dual mode set up for normal and suppressed modes. They just showed this at HK-Blackwater International Training Services Demo and Open House October 23. 2006. It's nice to see others agree with our engineering / design (Large/oversized barrel nut, mechanical key behind the cam pin on the carrier, and dual mode of fire for normal and supressed operation).
Best regards,

www.POF-USA.com

“A STRIKING DEVELOPMENT IN THE HK417--- A VARIABLE GAS SETTING FOR “N”ORMAL AND “S”UPPRESSED .308 AMMUNITION. IT ALLOWS 7.62 NATO BULLET WEIGHTS RANGING FROM 135-185 GRAINS TO BE FIRED RELIABLY, AND TO PREVENT OVERFUNCTIONING OF THE RIFLE OF RIFLE WHEN USED WITH HEAVIER BULLETS AND A SUPPRESSOR…”
I see your point and I understand where my statement was incomplete. But to the point of the Original posters Question about which is closer to the HK415, it is still the LW, because of its self regulation.
So as the HK's go, with this new feature of the HK417, it just allows a level of adjustment not featured on the HK416.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
"HK415"? That was the HK pusher rod upper, like HK416 but for the AR15. Never offered. Only one sample made and it never left Oberndorf.

G3Kurz

1 - 20 of 40 Posts