HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me was the deal with fleaming MP5SD conversions and why they only have one tax stamp?
What would be fair market value for one now?
Were the suppressors any good sound wise?

Thanks Axe,

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
If its a sbr and a sd it should be a two stamp gun to be legal (one gor the silencer, one for the sbr).

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Unless the silencer is made to the gun. Then it would be a title 1 gun with a suppressor.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
permanently attached? Then yes the rifle would not need to be registered as a SBR. As long as the barrel length with the supressor is 16"

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Yes and no to all the above. ATF use to consider a machine gun with a non-detachable suppressor, a one stamp gun (the machine gun, suppressor didn't matter since it could not be removed). ATF changed this policy at some point, a non-detachable suppressor added on a machine gun would require a second stamp, but those previous one stamp guns were allowed to remain one stamp guns. I don't know why it would be any different for an SBR, even over 16".

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had one of these guns. It was a Hard Times Armory conversion registered as a Model 94S. It had a suppressor tube permanently attached and piece of split radiator hose as a handguard (Butt Ugly). The end cap was removable to service the wipes in the suppressor. It was a registered receiver and transferred as a one-stamp gun. The reason I bought it was because it was a double push-pin conversion, and I felt it would be worth it to correct the suppressor issue.

It is my understanding that SudS is correct and the ATF no longer allows this. This machinegun was “made” before that change in policy and it was grandfathered.

I don’t know how well the suppressor worked because I never shot it in that configuration. I had the dealer send it to RDTS during the transfer and had it converted to Ralph’s configuration.

As to the point of a permanently attached suppressor on a Title I firearm, it is my understanding that if the overall length of the barrel / suppressor assembly is greater than 16” and it cannot be disassembled, then it is not an SBR. Similar to permanently attaching a fake can or other muzzle device. AAC used to market a suppressed AR 9mm upper based on this this interpretation. However, I do not know the ATF's current view on this configuration.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts