HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
No difference in the bolt, The carrier is what is different. Full auto carriers trip the sear by a non milled out area on the bottom of it.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
On full-auto bolt carriers, there is a ramp on the bottom of the right side that pushes the trip lever to release the catch. On semi-auto carriers, like UncleBilly said - that ramp is milled off so even if a trip lever is present, there's nothing to release it.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Do you have a picture of where on the trigger pack the F/A bolt catches. Thanks
Go to the HKPro home page in World of HK. Actually, here it is:

http://www.hkpro.com/Internal.htm

Scroll down to the first picture of the trigger pack internals, the cutaway view, with balloon callouts on all the parts. The trip lever is #3, the bolt carrier is #1. The ramp on the carrier pushes the triangular tab on the end of the trip lever.

·
Registered
119 Posts
That makes perfect sense now (light bulb moment) It's amazing how all the parts work together. I guess the delay in the hammer coming down would slow the rate of fire (compared to an open bolt gun)

It also goes a long way in explaining why the accuracy of an open bolt gun is so poor compared to an MP5.

(BTW, after watching the video and grabbing my F/A bolt head and Navy trigger pack I see how everything fits together)

Would a handgun be considered pure blowback ?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Also it seems like the hammer takes quite a bit of abuse. Is it a high wear item ?

I would assume it's good practice to keep the hammer pretty lubed up.

And one last question, with an empty chamber, is it good practice to pull the trigger to release the tension on the hammer spring. (I do this on my Glocks as it's supposed to be good for the firing pin spring)

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
That makes perfect sense now (light bulb moment) It's amazing how all the parts work together. I guess the delay in the hammer coming down would slow the rate of fire (compared to an open bolt gun)

It also goes a long way in explaining why the accuracy of an open bolt gun is so poor compared to an MP5.

(BTW, after watching the video and grabbing my F/A bolt head and Navy trigger pack I see how everything fits together)

Would a handgun be considered pure blowback ?
The big reason one that fires from open bolt is less accurate is that you have that large mass (the bolt) flying forward which pulls the alignment off of where you have it aimed. But that really only affect the first shot when on f/a mode.

Most handguns are pure blowback, some are not. Like the P7. It still works on the blowback principle, but the gas piston retards the blowback.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Also it seems like the hammer takes quite a bit of abuse. Is it a high wear item ?

I would assume it's good practice to keep the hammer pretty lubed up.

And one last question, with an empty chamber, is it good practice to pull the trigger to release the tension on the hammer spring. (I do this on my Glocks as it's supposed to be good for the firing pin spring)
Na, the hammer doesn't wear that much. And it doesn't need any special care as far as lubrication goes. You wouldn't think of oiling a hammer to drive nails, would you? Since it's hitting parts that are all spring-loaded, it really doesn't take all that much abuse.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts