HKPRO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
The VP9 is a fine gun - easy to shoot, accurate and reliable. I have had three so far, but only kept the Tactical, which just sits in the safe.

The hammer fired HKs just appear to be build to a higher standard, and I much prefer the safety off a hammer for an AIWB carry, hence I carry a 45C.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Couldn't agree more. I can't stand the fanboys on the range telling me how good a cheap gun is. Or a car, knife, phone or U-boat for all I care.

The market dictates the price point. If something is a very good deal, the price will eventually go up. If something is to expensive compared to what it delivers, the price (or brand/product) will go down. Modern markets with the internet and all are quite unforgiving.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Just curious, at the price point VP9s are at, what's a 'better than decent' alternative, out of the box, no mods required?
I would say Glock 19 (not as refined as HK, plastic sights), and Walther PPQ (plastic sights, texture not as grippy as VP9) are the other top competitors to the VP9's price point nowadays - Besides the better stippling on the grip frame of the M&P 2.0, I see it as a step below, personally, although many like them -

·
Registered
460 Posts
Just curious, at the price point VP9s are at, what's a 'better than decent' alternative, out of the box, no mods required?
P99 or PPQ. Though the P99 might be a few dollars more.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
P99 or PPQ. Though the P99 might be a few dollars more.
Owning a Q, I don't think it's as good as my VP overall, but if you like yours better, enjoy.

IMOHO the Q trigger too light for CCW, too much muzzle flip, factory sights are cheap plastic, and won't go into the various issues discussed on the W forums....

Glad you like yours, to me, the HK just shoots better and feels more solidly built.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Try the Walther PPQ and the Sig P320. I own and shoot both. The trigger of the PPQ is the best IMHO. It breaks like glass, is very audible and tactile, and has a very short reset. However, the grip and plastic sights are not as good as the VP9. The trigger on the P320 breaks with a subtle thud, but is audible and tactile. It's reset is a tad longer and night sights are standard. The gun is modular. I bought a large size grip (all P320s come with a medium grip from factory), and it fits my hand even better than the VP9. Of the VP9, PPQ, and P320, I shoot the P320 most accurately.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Glad you like yours, to me, the HK just shoots better and feels more solidly built.
True dat WolfieRules. I really like how virtually flat the muzzle flip (or lack thereof) is. I was shooting a USP Match 9mm the same day and that's the best description I could come up with.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
I love the P30L v1 lem and Expert. Both pistols with that nice short and crisp reset, muzzle heavy, and solid.

It is just not a pistol I’m dying to shoot at the range unlike the Expert or P30, which to me are the pleasure pistols to shoot.

I believe those of you that have only shot that VP9 as your only HK are missing out on what a true HK should feel like.

So why did you sell your Expert ?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Owning a Q, I don't think it's as good as my VP overall, but if you like yours better, enjoy.

IMOHO the Q trigger too light for CCW, too much muzzle flip, factory sights are cheap plastic, and won't go into the various issues discussed on the W forums....

I don't have one and wouldn't buy one. But that is what the VP9 was designed to compete against in the market.

The P99 and PPS are the only striker fired handguns I own, and the P99 is DA/SA striker fired.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
I don't have one and wouldn't buy one. But that is what the VP9 was designed to compete against in the market.

The P99 and PPS are the only striker fired handguns I own, and the P99 is DA/SA striker fired.
This forum got trolled to death by all the Walther boys when the VP9 came out . Do they still use the plastic guide rod and did Walther ever settle on a way to release the mag ? Y'all used to raise hell on your forum about those issues , as well as others ...

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't know anything about the PPQ. Never saw one in person and I don't keep up with what they are talking about concerning that pistol.

The P99 is, as far as I know, still using the plastic guide rod. Mine is still holding up well after 5000+ rounds. My first P99 is still chugging along after 7000+, same plastic guide rod.

I don't know what the PPQ uses. I have not of any issues with plastic guide rods in the P99. The P99 has always used a paddle release. There are no other options.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Please tell me if I am wrong. The polymer in all HK pistols is the same,just poured in the molds,the bbls. are all cannon grade steel,the internals are the same quality and materials,the finish is the same Hostile Environment and the mags. are the same as the P30=quality.Why do some say the VP9 is a cheap pistol? I realize some only like hammer,w/wo safety,but is not quality the same? I understand the VP9 was introduced to compete with the PPQ,Glock and others,but I still do not understand that a VP9 is not as good as one of the other HK's(excluding MK 23=overbuilt)?Is HK keeping a lower price to get more of their brand on the market,to increase sales=more profit? Are the USP really worth the extra price?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
For me the VP9 has everything I like about a Glock and nothing I don't like. It has everything I like about HK and it has most of what I like about my Walther P99's but with a standardized rail and parts I can personalize with. With a Lobos trigger, my VP9 eclipsed the desirability of my P30ls so much that I retired the P30.

·
Registered
213 Posts
@Vodka, when following this topic I didn't see anyone saying it's a poor quality gun. A VP9 is cheaper, if that is due to lower manufacturing standards (materials, finish) or simply because HK is aiming for the masses is merely speculation; noone at HK will ever give that away. I personally think it has nothing to do with quality, as selling bad quality as a respected brand will kill your brand these days. Also the SFP9/VP9 has been on the market long enough to debunk that theory.

Just understand HK originally solely produced military and law enforcement firearms. They have a huge production capacity, so they can sell a lot of guns at a good price. I'm pretty sure that selling >150k handguns to civilian owners generates a LOT more cash than selling the same guns to a military contract.

My reasons to go for a P8 (USP) instead of a SFP9 (VP9):

- Heavier with 775gr vs 710gr (CCW is a big no-no in Europe, so count this as a con if you like). The USP and Mk23 are the only polymer ones that I enjoy (usually prefer steel frames like a CZ, SIG, Sig-Sauer or random 1911)
- The P8 has significantly less recoil "flip" than the SFP9. Not sure if It's due the weight or the SFP9's high barrel axis.
- Safety lever on the P8 is on a logical place. If you pay the premium on the SFP9 for an ambi, it's way back on the frame.
- I personally love the rugged design of the USP
- I just NEED to see that hammer (and I admit I'm borderline autistic when it comes to cocked weapons, empty chambers etc)

All in all I think the USP is a much easier shooter and the SFP9 is a much more "nervous" feeling gun. Same goes for the Walthers. Especially if you get it as your first HK, I'm sure you won't be able to tell the difference. I'm also sure it's just some getting used to.

I have to admit I never fired a VP9 (not available here) but I think the SFP9 is a good comparison.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Please tell me if I am wrong. The polymer in all HK pistols is the same,just poured in the molds,the bbls. are all cannon grade steel,the internals are the same quality and materials,the finish is the same Hostile Environment and the mags. are the same as the P30=quality.Why do some say the VP9 is a cheap pistol? I realize some only like hammer,w/wo safety,but is not quality the same? I understand the VP9 was introduced to compete with the PPQ,Glock and others,but I still do not understand that a VP9 is not as good as one of the other HK's(excluding MK 23=overbuilt)?Is HK keeping a lower price to get more of their brand on the market,to increase sales=more profit? Are the USP really worth the extra price?
The HK VP9 is a another in the line of high quality pistols. I really like my HK VP9 as I do my P30L, P30SK, and HK45. Supposedly there have been well over 100,000 VP9 pistols sold and rarely do you read about a legitimate problem anywhere which says a lot for a brand new design compared to the disaster of the new CZ and SIG SF pistols and others. HK also offers a lifetime warranty and stands by their product. I admit that some of the VP9 design is a bit cheesy such as the slide stop levers and I would prefer matching slide stop levers as on my P30L but the ones on the VP9 do work and never heard about a problem with them, more an aesthetics issue to me. Shooting both my P30L and VP9 are both enjoyable experiences and I find both very sweet and accurate shooters. My little P30SK is an amazing shooter for it's size and though substantially lower in price than the P30L they share the same internal parts that are not size specific such as the slide, barrel, and RSA though the P30SK has an additional FPB.

As far as the lower price no one knows but HK but I believe it may be due to less cost to produce with no hammer or expensive RSA like in the hammer fired HKs and a lowering of margin to be more competitive with other striker fired offerings but making up for net profit in high volume.

These threads tend bring a lot of conjecture, opinions, preferences, and some HK snobbery. Personally I could care less how others feel about my firearm purchase in that I paid too much, too little, or just don't like what I like.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm curious and hope someone can explain to me; not having owned, fired or even held other H&Ks...

Other than the hammer vs striker, what makes the VP less expensive? What part of the difference is higher production runs (I assume they make more of them than other pistols) and what part is higher material and labor cost? Could there also be a gross margin component?

I actually wrote HK customer service a while back to ask this very question : D They told me that the VP9 was "more aggressively priced" as was the P30SK (if I wanted a more "affordable" hammer fired gun)

·
Banned
15 Posts
VP9 is the only HK pistol I have right now. I had a USP Compact and a P30 and I sold it. Can’t stand the trigger. I like the VP9 and I actually carry it every now and then. I’m a 1911 guy. Either a single action for me or a striker fired pistol for me .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.