HKPRO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you have accurate numbers, please share. In my experience precision CNC'd bulk production doesn't cost so much. Firearms still have quite broad precision margins compared to medical instruments. Volume is key.

·
Registered
83 Posts
In all fairness. I dont understand your apathy for the vp9.

If it was a 900 HK would it be more fascinating?
Would it compete with every other single firearm brand that sells striker system around 500?
Let me guess, all guns must be USP's 9c?

HK did several things right with the VP9 out the gate. No matter what we feel about the specific pistol.

1) Price point was good.
2) Fully ambi gun. (Whether it seems like an afterthought or not.)
3) A good trigger out of the box.
4) LE night sights or glow in the dark sights out of the box.

I only expect this offering to improve as time moves forward.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
In all fairness. I dont understand your apathy for the vp9.

If it was a 900 HK would it be more fascinating?
Would it compete with every other single firearm brand that sells striker system around 500?
Let me guess, all guns must be USP's 9c?

HK did several things right with the VP9 out the gate. No matter what we feel about the specific pistol.

1) Price point was good.
2) Fully ambi gun. (Whether it seems like an afterthought or not.)
3) A good trigger out of the box.
4) LE night sights or glow in the dark sights out of the box.

I only expect this offering to improve as time moves forward.
If it was a $900 striker...No, I wouldn't be impressed and probably wouldn't own it, because for that amount of money, you can have a much better HK.

The VP9 is a great gun, MAINLY to those buying their first HK. A true HK guy doesn't feel this way, because we are already spoiled by the other HKs. However, at the price point of where the VP9 is at, it isn't greatly exceptional from other $500 striker pistols like the SigP320 or Glock19, but if you want to count glow in the dark sights and ambi mag release....thats digging.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Argue money all you want,but I would not trade my VP9 for any pistol I currently have held/shot. I do not care about "they were better back then".I live in the current year and IMHO,the VP9 is the best striker fired and I have no need for a hammer.

·
Registered
213 Posts
We're down to debating personal preferences, neither side is going to win that discussion. (Except me because I have superior preferences :380:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
as someone who has owned Glocks for a couple years, i am a newb to owning HK's... but this is my thoughts.... so before dropping the money to buy a P30L and VP9, i had thought about getting new trigger's in my glocks and new sights, as i havent done anything to them.. Well after shooting a VP9, and being amazed at how nice the trigger is, and how much of a difference it made in my groups.. I started to think ok, do i put in new trigger's into all my guns and see if that helps + new sights... or do i just spend the money on a couple new guns... Well new guns won that battle... While i am keeping my G19 + 26, i sold off all my other glocks, and called it good.. if i was trying to sell someone on a new handgun, i'd start with the Vp9.. The grip is awesome, the trigger is awesome, and the sights are nice! even the illuminated ones are nice for being stock... and when you think about what you are spending on "another" gun to get the same stuff, trigger, grip, sights, you are basically at the same price.... i got my VP9 for about 550$ which is only 50$ more than i got my G19 for....

·
Registered
4 Posts
What is the fascination with the VP9?
LEEF, I've read through the entirety of this thread, and I think many have touched on the reasons why the VP9 is fascinating, and while the other responses manage to cover most of what I'd say about it, I'd just as soon state it my own way. If I had to explain my own fascination, and probably a bit of what I see in the wider gun market regarding the seeming fascination with the VP series generally, I'd state it this way:

Until the introduction of the VP series, there had been a broad band of people in the gun-buying public who were unhappy with their existing options in the market, but who also could not afford H&K firearms, though recognizing their quality. I would liken it to the number of people who spend virtually zero time contemplating the virtues of a Ferrari because a Ferrari is Unobtainium. When it came to handguns, that's the territory H&K occupied in my brain-pan: Really nice pieces that I would never afford. No point in studying them, looking them over, fondling them at the gun counter or contemplating them beyond the immediate response: "Out of my price range." In point of fact, most gun shops in my region never carried H&Ks because they knew that at the price point, they were not going to move. Because of this, out-of-sight-out-of-mind really played a role, I believe. If the dealers don't carry it, you're not going to see it. Oh sure, pictures on the Internet are fine, but there's no substitute for putting a gun in your hand and seeing how it fits. Not placing products available for consumers to evaluate in hand is the kiss of death in the broadest market sense. Imagine somebody trying to sell you a luxury coupe. Are you going to buy one sight-unseen? Chances are no, and for most people, the prospect of buying an H&K was a bit like buying the high-end coupe on somebody's recommendation. Glocks and S&Ws are everywhere. Rugers are plentiful in the shops in my area. Even Sig is making a more frequent appearance in shops around here than in years past. So basically, H&K was invisible to most of the American handgun-buying market. To a lesser degree, the same was true for Walther.

Now introduce a pistol that does things only one other competitor in the market-place does: High quality, striker-fired, fully ambidextrous hand-gun with a great trigger in the most popular handgun caliber. Introduce it at a price-point in line with the market for striker-fired guns of the same basic characteristics, maybe a little higher, but right there in the ballpark.

Now it shows up in gun shops where it had never been before. Now it starts being talked about in the wider market. It's not unobtainium any longer. Oh sure, if you want the HK45, you're still going to shell out for it, but in 9mm and .40S&W, it's hard to compete with the product. The biggest obstacle you have to overcome is those darned paddles. Walther folds on the paddles and goes full-bore on buttons again. Of course, that means the Walthers are no longer fully ambidextrous handguns any longer. Yours work for a wrong-hander(just kidding folks) right out of the box. Right-hander wanting to practice weak-handed shooting? No problem. No real difference. Then we add in the fact that you're building a production facility in the US. You're going mainstream.

That's what the VP series does for H&K: It makes them mainstream in the biggest civilian firearms market in the world. Fascinating? Something "new" is always fascinating in any market. People are checking out the ergonomics on the VP series, having been entirely unaware of the P30, and they like it. Those who take the jump despite some misgivings about paddles soon discover: "Hey, these paddles, they may be BETTER than the magazine release buttons to which I have been accustomed." Left-handers find it is a pistol they can shoot right out of the box. Hmmmm. Suddenly, people like me, who have always had ergonomic issues with Glock and others find a gun that fits in their hand. No more square peg in a round hole. For those people, sudden improvements in their shooting accuracy cinch the deal. Fascinating? You bet.

If H&K is smart(and they are,) they push that price down all they can manage. They can steal a lot of business. The vague notions most people may have had previously about H&K was "expensive, high quality, German, and unobtainium."

So I'd say the fascination comes down to that, and little else: The VP series moves H&K from the perception of unobtainium in a narrower market segment to a more highly visible mainstream position in a much broader segment. Many more people are market-aware of H&K because of the VP series.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Entry into HK via the VP9 can be had at $449 from PSA back when, even during the 4-mag rebate they went as low as $469.
Very tempting indeed but then again the trigger bar spring design... 1496890.jpg , I just couldn't pull it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My good buddy had never shot an HK so we went to the range and rented a VP9 and USP Elite 9mm...he liked both, but as he put it, "There is a distinct difference between driving a BMW 320i sedan and a BMW Alpina B7 sedan". FWIW I prefer the USP Expert due to the lack of a d*ck nose barrel.
Do you mean how the VP barrels stick out a bit like Glocks? I prefer the flush to frame barrels on the P series myself. Always have, that 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch does not gain you a bunch of velocity and it looks unfinished, not as clean IMO.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The VP9 is cheaper to produce. The slides are not milled from individual castings. That's not to say that it's of inferior quality, but it is cheaper to produce.
I have not heard this before. How are the VP slides made compared to hammer fired HK's?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I was debating the PPQ and the VP for quite a while. Two things I did not like about the VP before I ever heald one was the braided trigger spring and weld on the slide release. Very AKish. I'm sure I'll catch hell for this but I have a few AK's and prefer the 7.62 to the .556. Could not get one to fit me and the accuracy was so-so. I went to more expensive platforms chambered in 7.62x39 and IMO, it was worth the $.

The PPQ looked cheaper to me. I really like and prefer the paddle mag release, it's far superior IMO. When I realized the VP40 was heavier and made for 40 and the PPQ M2 did not have paddle release the decision was easy.

I don't sell firearms that work. I still my my AK's and I'll always have my VP40 unless something ugly pops up with more use. I can't see that happening at this time.

Reactions: venomsfp9

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Quote Originally Posted by ITD1944 View Post
The VP9 is cheaper to produce. The slides are not milled from individual castings. That's not to say that it's of inferior quality, but it is cheaper to produce.

I have not heard this before. How are the VP slides made compared to hammer fired HK's?
Yes, oh do tell. I assume you've toured HK factories and talked to the designers?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Besides the changing of the RSA,I have read of no design or quality problems with the VP9/40.If anyone knows of any,please advise me where so I can read up on it.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Barrels are considered the best thing that H&K produces from the quality of the material to the engineering, machinery/tooling, finishing, inspection, service life and accuracy.
No skimping was done on the VP9.
You've got better things to spend time being concerned about.

This was posted last year by Marine0303, whose opinion on all things HK I greatly respect. Anyone want to take issue?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I guess it boils down to out of the box performance and no desire to modify it.

I can buy an LE model and do absolutely no mods to the gun and be perfectly happy with it. Only other guns I can say that about are $3K+ 1911’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
I really like and prefer the paddle mag release, it's far superior IMO.

Every since I learned to use the paddle on my USP's over 20 years ago, I've come to love it. It's not that I can't use the button on my other pistols but it seems so much more intuitive using my trigger finger to activate the release. The P30L/VP9/SFP9 have a grip that feels so comfortable as though it was sculpted to my hand. I no longer get that "Glock Knuckle".

81 - 100 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.