HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the value of a like new Model 770 in 308? I originally purchased this rifle back in the early 1980's and sold it years ago to my brother, and he has never fired it. She's had less than 150 rds thru it because when I worked up a load for her I only had LC Match brass and did not want it eaten. The rifle shot 1/4 MOA with that load off the bench, and I still have that load data. He had the original box, if he can find it. Rifle is flawless and has a crisp light trigger job. Don't scream but the HK factory mount was impossible to get so I had a Leatherwood rail professionally mounted. The scope on it is probably worth more than the rifle, so I need thoughts on the rifle without the scope. The scope is a Leatherwood Prototype from when they were in Stephenville, Tx. and only (2) were ever made, before they closed down, if I trade back for the rifle I'll own them both again. Unless she got a gunsafe scratch it should look new. There is the factory mag and (2) factory HK 10 rd mags. I searched here and only found one auction GunBroker#271188350 other than the professionally attached rail, the rifle looks better than this auction. What are your thoughts? I'm thinking about probably keeping the rifle and auction the scope system. I just need a trade or sell value that's far for both of us. Thanks, ken

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any thoughts either trade or sell value would be appreciated. This is the only place that would know, when I called our local gunshop, they had never even heard of one.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any advice would be appreciated. The rifle is rare so regular gun shops have no idea. The scope system if I trade back for it will be sold on Snyper's Hide, I need a fare trade or sell value for the rifle and mags. Thanks, ken

·
Registered
539 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I found one I don't know why the other did not come up. Both of those have plain barrels, mine had a flash hider made into the end of the barrel. How does that affect the value? Years ago the plain barrels went for alot less than the ones the had the flash hider made into the end of the barrel. I wonder what the dis-coloration on the bluing was from? Hey thanks for the help. ken

·
Registered
52 Posts
Several brands of firearms get a plum colored hue of bluing over time. My 770 and SL7 both have this change, I think some older Ruger's do the same.I think it has to do with oxidation process, does not decrease value.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thanks, if that's all it's worth the trade won't work. I would have figured a rifle that good and that rare would have appreciated in value, that's what I got for it years and years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
. I would have figured a rifle that good and that rare would have appreciated in value, that's what I got for it years and years ago.
old + rare != valuable
old + rare + desirable = valuable

The hk 770's were not well known on the US market. Also it seems american hunters really prefer bolt guns.

·
Registered
405 Posts
HK 770s really aren't all that rare. There are usually a couple for sale on GB all the time. If yours is in pristine condition with the box and manual and a couple mags then $1700-$1900 would be pushing it. Extra 10 rd mags are selling for $125-$150. The factory 05 scope mount w/rings are going for $500-$600. If your rifles receiver has been permanently altered due to the scope mount, or a recoil pad has been installed then deduct from that. Iirc, the 770 had a msrp of around $700 back in the mid to late 80s The early ones didn't have a factory muzzle brake. Some owners(myself included) prefer the non muzzle brake models.
You have a superb semi auto rifle. They are better then just about any semi auto hunting rifle thats currently being marketed by a manufacturer. If it's not worth what you think it should be, just keep it and shoot it and enjoy it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts