HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am finally (after months) getting around to my SL8 -> G36 conversion. As I was looking at the parts carefully and thinking ...do I really have to take out every last part and switch it over, some of these have got to be the same pieces. I noticed something that interested me on the hammer. After playing with both the SL8 and the G36 trigger for a while I am still a bit perplexed about the purpose of the extra nub on the SL8 hammer. I have attached a picture with an arrow pointing to the nub.

My only guess was it is a part of some safety, but if that is the case I still don't see how it works.

Second question... Are there actually some parts that dont need to come out to be replaced because they are identical between the SL8 and G36 trigger.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
If you look at the parts diagram in your SL8 manual, there is a part known as the "locking lever". The locking lever is not present in the 4-position grip, hence the lack of the extra "nub". I've read that the locking lever is what catches the hammer after the bolt cyles but I've found that not to be 100% accurate. I've run the SL8 with the locking lever removed and everything functioned normally.

When I switched my fire control parts over, I just switched everything except the bolt-hold catch. NOTE: the 4-position selector lever will not work with the SL8 internals... you MUST use the SL8 selector lever which will require you to cosmetically modify the lever so that the white selector lines match up to fireing mode correctly (you only have to use the left side lever from the SL8--the right side lever is the identical to that in the 4-position grip--so you only have to modify one lever).

Alternately, you could just simly remove the actuator and slide from the 4-position grip and it will operate on semi regardless of what position the selector is in... I've heard mixed opinions on the legality of this so I personally just did the full parts swap to avoid legal hassle.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The "Locking Lever" is there to relieve some of the hammer spring tension to give a lighter trigger pull. This is why it's not evident in a G36 trigger group, and why the G36 hammer does not have the 'nub' to catch the locking lever.

If you view the pack from the top, when you apply the safety, you can see where the locking lever will actually move with the selector as an added safety to prevent hammer drop. When you move it to the 'Fire' position, the locking lever moves again to release some of the hammer spring tension.

This is how HK got a lighter trigger pull for the SL8 target rifles, vs. the factory 'military' trigger pull weight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts