HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
If you use the HK 3 point sling, you can hook that clip over the buckle (or into the webbing of an ambi sling) to carry the subgun in a "high port arms" carry position. It holds the gun high and against the chest with the barrel over the left shoulder.

It's discussed in the MP5 operators manual, you can google it and find one in pdf for free. I think it may be on the wiki site writeup as well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have always wondered this myself as my early model SW5 with cast receiver doesn't have this sling connection point.

What sling (preferably in black) can I use with just two connection points?

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
I'm going to have to do some searching, but initialy this was for actually hanging the gun up. Keeping out of the dirst and out of the way either on a cable, cord, or nail. I know this sounds crazy, but I spoke to one of the HK guy's when I was in the military and they told me that. Also, I think Dan Shea over at SAR, formally MGN answered this question in one of their issues. Anyway, I'll try to find the section that I read and I'll see if I can scan it in.

Regards,

R.

·
Banned
34,574 Posts
I'm going to have to do some searching, but initialy this was for actually hanging the gun up. Keeping out of the dirst and out of the way either on a cable, cord, or nail. I know this sounds crazy, but I spoke to one of the HK guy's when I was in the military and they told me that. Also, I think Dan Shea over at SAR, formally MGN answered this question in one of their issues. Anyway, I'll try to find the section that I read and I'll see if I can scan it in.

Regards,

R.
The "hanger hole" is what I have always heard to be the "original" function of the hook and hole.

Tony

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Yeah. All of the early HK's I've owned had them whether it was a 91,93,or 94.
Although, if I remember right the 91 had it on the forearm and I'm not sure where the 93 had it. I think it was the forearm as well.

Regards,

R.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I have always wondered this myself as my early model SW5 with cast receiver doesn't have this sling connection point.

What sling (preferably in black) can I use with just two connection points?
Unless you're planning on marching in a parade, you don't need a 3rd connection point. I know it's called a 3 point sling, but that does not mean it attaches to the receiver in 3 places. It still attaches only to the receiver once at the rear and once at the front. The third point is a double-D buckle that slides along the sling web.

If you're left handed, get an ambidextrous sling. If you're right handed, you can use either the ambi one or the regular one.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts

Regards,

R.
I think that's an old wives tale some author that had never read the MP5 operator's manual made up. I read that a long time ago too, right before I found the MP5 manual and the 3 or 4 pages dedicated just to that darn sling. (Which is actually fantastic once you figure out how to use it.) Ok, I just looked it up again. There are literally 10 pages of the manual dedicated to attaching and using the 2 different slings, with 2 pages just about the "high port arms carry" and the use of the clip on the side. And yes, it is on the G3 series firearms as well, but on the forearm (Except the SG/1 types, I guess snipers carry their rifles in a box everywhere.)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ducan Long references it in his book "HK Assault Rifle Systems" (page 23) as a mysterious "dohicky" on the left side of the handgaurd of the G3 also. He further adds, "this loop stamping is actually a hook designed to allow troops in the field to hang their rifles from nails...."

Might be a carryover from the G3 or a clever german engineer that reused the same type of stamping as a mount for the sling. Only that engineer knows for sure. One the MP5, the "dohicky" is not in the best place to hang it from a nail in the wall...so I'd say it's just a similar looking stamping used as AviatorDave suggests.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Ducan Long references it in his book "HK Assault Rifle Systems" (page 23) as a mysterious "dohicky" on the left side of the handgaurd of the G3 also. He further adds, "this loop stamping is actually a hook designed to allow troops in the field to hang their rifles from nails...."

Might be a carryover from the G3 or a clever german engineer that reused the same type of stamping as a mount for the sling. Only that engineer knows for sure. One the MP5, the "dohicky" is not in the best place to hang it from a nail in the wall...so I'd say it's just a similar looking stamping used as AviatorDave suggests.
Oh yeah, that's the guy. And I remembered where I read about all of his well documented errors - RIGHT HERE! I guess if you have no idea what you're talking about, you can just make it up as you go along and sell a lot of books.

http://www.hkpro.com/Errors.htm

And the same stamping that's used on the 93 and 91 on the forearm is also mentioned in their respective manuals, just not in as great of detail as in the MP5 manual - it is designed to hook over the double-loop on the 3-point sling for the carry position. The HK33 book just shows pictures of all the different carry positions, but without explanations. I kinda doubt they took the time and expense to randomly rivet a piece of sheet metal to the receivers and/or handguards, and then just told the technical writing department to find a use for it and document it in the literature. I'm thinking they probably put it there on purpose, and told the manual writers what it was for. I'm just thinking.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
My SW5 does not have one, as it's a 2000 model cast receiver. But the new CA89k pistols have them. Not sure that I care on way or the other though.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I've never used mine, and I do use the ambi sling.

Whenever I get around to building these flats, I probably won't install them. Just one more thing to snag on clothing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts