HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The forum has a lot of members. I've owned 'em. Was sorry I sold the HK's I had, and keep coming back to them. Yet, on
the Internet, all I read is that they are "over-engineered," "over-priced," poor but better customer service and the triggers
are "awful." Search for yourself, every admits that they are will made, reliable, will last forever, and accurate but
those seem like throw-away lines to get to what's wrong with it.

These guns don't strike me as safe queens. So what draws you to your HK? Is it one attribute that stands out? Or, more
than one? Would be interested to hear.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Lara Croft

·
Registered
257 Posts
I like to overpay for my guns. because I'm rich bitch

·
Registered
854 Posts
There are a plethora of reasons for the USP series specifically...1) It has earned not bought its reputation among top tier operators Worldwide 2) it is undeniably reliable 3) its ergonomically superior to the others I have owned 4) asthetically its in my Top 3...5) the fact that every slackjawed gunstore 'expert' knows next to nothing about them

And of course, because of the gentlemen on this forum, for sharing humor, information and experience...NO COMPROMISE!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The different variations, mag release, reliability, etc etc ect

Is it possible to over-engineer a gun? I think not...

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
My first experience to HK's I was working at a local sporting goods store before I was even old enough to own a handgun and the primary brand we sold was HK's. I couldn't stop eyeballing the USP's back then, all of them. The USP 45 just seemed like the coolest thing I had ever seen. Right now I'm on my second go around with a P30, had to sell the previous one I owned a while back for personal reasons. Coming back from Glocks now, and if I would dump the money it would take to get the glock where I wanted it, I would have more in it than buying the P30 and swapping sights.

The P30 has the indentions on the bottom of the grip to facilitate grabbing the mags, grip is textured, can adjust panels for grip size, ambi slide lock/release and mag release, front cocking serrations for press checks, a million time more ergonomic than the Block, and it works better with "me". The gun just fits me. It's just a hair bigger on the grip than the G19, but it's enough to make it that much more comfortable for me, but not any harder to CCW. I bought a P30L and a P30 all in 9MM, and everytime I shoot them like the way they just work for me more and more.

My USP 45's I like because they're a classic, soft shooting, V1 and function like a 1911 if I want (which I am familiar with), and they're tack drivers.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Back when I was a kid and first started seeing stuff about the USP in gun rags I fell in love. Everything about them seemed to be what a handgun was supposed to be--accurate, durable, reliable, able to be configured to suit a variety of purposes. And the beastly looks of a gun that knows what it was put on this earth to do. Being a history nut, I was also very aware of German engineering prowess especially in the field of small arms design and manufacture. Alas, when I turned 21 I was a poor college kid and could only afford a Ruger P89DC, which was a decent shooter and stood up to a lot of abuse, but was no match pistol to be sure. Then marriage and kids came along, further crimping finances. Fast forward a decade or two, give or take...I was a big fan of the TV series '24' and seeing Jack Bauer kick ass and take names with his USP, along with the considerable wear and developing hammer follow problems with the Ruger, convinced me that it was time to get a new handgun and that it MUST be an HK. I saved pop can money for a couple years and was all set to buy a USP when I saw something extremely curvy and sexy looking in the case next to it! When I took that P30L in my hands, I knew there could be no other. The owner of the shop, a friend of my dad, offered to let me put a few rounds down range with it, and the first round out of it went in the 10 ring from the far end of the range. Any gun that can make me look like a good shooter is nothing short of a miracle, so I was sold. It has been a great carry gun the past couple years, and it really taught me what a great handgun is capable of and what I am capable of with a quality firearm in my hands. So much so that I had to have another! Just picked up my 2000SK a couple weeks ago and couldn't be more pleased. It will have to last for a while because the wife prefers more practical uses for money, but I am sure it won't be my last HK!

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,393 Posts
The fact that they WORK, all the time.

...Ok I'll admit, they are pretty damn sexy too. But that's second.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
to copy a previous post of mine, but this would still be my answer:

I have purchased a very large variety of handguns over the last several years. Lots of HK's, some Sig's, Glock's, Walthers, etc...

From Sig, i purchased two of the P220 Carry models right before they decided that the external extractor design was better, and I had to send BOTH of them back to Sig for repairs due to horrible feeding performance. it was a known issue for Sig and I have no idea if it has gotten any better because i am uncomfortable buying any more of them.

From Glock, I really liked the texture on the Gen 4 grips, and purchased 4 of their guns, only to find that Glock had known issues with their models after the Gen 4 was released and ALL four of mine have been sent back for their fixes. Feeding is fine, but extraction is so weak i could catch the brass in a pouch hanging on my right side if i wanted to, else it would hit me in my face. Who wants a gun to SLAP YOU IN YOUR FACE???

I have two Walther PPQ's, a regular one and one of the badgered up "First Editions"... The regular PPQ that i got has a very uneven and blotchy finish. the worst looking finish i have ever seen on a factory gun from any brand. It shoots fine, and I will keep it, but you can count me as an "unsatisfied" customer as both of the Walther PPQ's that I received had "issues" that Walther and S&W were aware of, and they sold them to me anyway. edit (I have purchased 2 more and they have been perfect from the get go)

In each of these cases, i have felt somewhat "screwed" as the consumer, and not because i was being "picky", but because the product was so obviously sub-par, and in each of these cases, i was buying guns that were more or less intended for ME to be the consumer, i.e. they target the American civilian, and don't just produce guns to just throw at military and police contracts.

In each case, the Customer Service was supposed to be good, or at least better than the Internet says that HK's customer service is. So far, I would rate my frustration with Walther and the PPQ (selling me one gun with aweful finish, and selling me another one with a damaged slide) as worse than with Glock or Sig, and I have high frustration with them as well. As for Walther, i am not sure how good their CS is, because i dont get to deal with them. If you need CS on your Walther PPQ, you have to deal with S&W, and THOSE are the guys who damaged my slide (and the slide of all 6 First Editions i have now seen in person as well as dozens of others) while installing the night sights incorrectly. There just isn't anything i can do about it, and so i will be selling it off. I purchased the "First Edition" as a collector, and it is crap, doesn't even feel like S&W or Walther care about these issues or had tried to make sure their product met their standards.

I have even purchased two special order Nighthawks that both had to go back to the shop for repairs, one was delivered to me with the grip safety not functioning (gun would fire without it depressed), that is flat out unforgivable.

Enter HK. The company that isn't supposed to care about ME or my experience. Yet they are the ONLY firearms manufacturer who has always produced a perfect product for me each and every time i have purchased one. And their CS department has been FAR superior to my experiences with the others. (Sig tried to say that I was making up the issues, Glock said i wasn't using good ammo, and Walther said the damage was a "burr" and to find a pistol smith to fix it). I have never NEEDED HK CS to solve "issues" with their guns. but i did convert one to LEM once and sent a few more in for them to install the Night Sights. in every case, communication was spectacular and the gun was back in my hands on the THIRD day from when i shipped it to them. The LEM install was done the same day they received the gun and the armorer called me on my cell to let me know he was getting started.

I love HK, their guns, AND especially their dedication and commitment to quality and excellence. They may not target ME as their consumer, but they are the only company out there who seem to be making products that represent what their reputation has earned them. HK appears to take pride in what they do, and what they produce. I think that sort of thing has been lost in many other manufacturers lately.

For these reasons, I would happily encourage anyone to spend their hard earned dollars on an HK. You simply will not be disappointed in what you get.

·
Registered
114 Posts
There are 2 reasons for me. First, there was a free test fire P30 at the LGS I frequent. They rotate through several makes / models, you just have to use their ammo to test fire their guns. The P30 was flawless, it made me a better shooter too. I think I went back about 3 times to test fire it. Stupidity then ensued as I bought and sold or traded a handful of other pistols before finally ponying up for a NIB P30. I have read some other post in other threads about triggers and break in but for me, the fact that it took several hundred rounds of 124 and 147 grain for my P30 to finally settle in was evidence of how solidly this pistol is built. The trigger is very consistent and works great for me. I have no doubt that it will last me a lifetime. I thoroughly enjoy my weekly trips to the gun range with my P30.

The second reason is I was trying to determine the best option for a home defense weapon. One opinion I got which I took to heart was from a Captain at a local PD. He suggested that I find a weapon that I am comfortable with and enjoy shooting. The P30 meets that criteria to a tee. He also related to me that he used to have several makes of pistols and realized that he was starting to think too much about safeties, releases, etc. He elected to go with a single platform, Glock, which he had the most experience with and could have 3 different models to fit all his needs. He suggested I look at Glock, FNH, that Sig Sauer was really good and the HK was outstanding but pricey. That was before I bought the P30 and yes it did influence the decision as well. I have since purchased a new USP 45 Tactical and am really impressed with how easy it is to shoot. This trigger is very easy to learn and I am extremely pleased with it. Working on getting my HK45c next and I will be there, a single platform with 3 different guns that each provides for a specific purpose for me. Then there is the off the charts cool factor. And I only learned about Lara Croft from reading the above post.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Great re-post 99999 (especially as I never saw the original)

+1 on HK CS

G

·
For me it has been the undeniable reliability and boringly accurate operation. With HK I have finally gotten the level of performance and quality I feel I deserved as a customer. Something I never felt I got with any other firearm I have owned. With that being said I can truly be confident in my equipment when carrying. That is a piece of mind I can't even put a price tag on.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
My friends think I'm nuts...that's good enough for me to keep buying Hk's!

Seriously, I can sleep well at night knowing my USP 45 tac is 18" from my bed and if the S-really-HTF, my safe is only 20' beyond that...

Them Hk guys know a thing or two about a thing or two.

·
Registered
245 Posts
For me it started with the video game Metal Gear Solid. While you play as the main character(Solid Snake)you find a Mark 23 Socom and it becomes your sidearm thru out the game. There was also a PSG-1 that you acquire later in the game. I remember there being a description of these weapons in the games manual,that spiked my interest. Being about 18 at the time I only knew really knew about their MP5 but not much about HK's other weapons. I kept digging for more info and the more I read about HK the more I got hooked on their weapons,quality and what they are all about. Proud owner of a USP 45 with a MKll UTL,and a Benchmade/Hk full size Entourage auto knife.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Whats not to love about HK. The guns work, they're asteticly pleasing, and I get to look down my nose at people who think I'm stupid for not buying a Glop or a cheap thing.

Also I think Over-Engenieered is a buzz word that idiots use when they can't figure out what their own opinion is. Since it means jack and s--t, and jack left town.

·
Registered
41 Posts
its simple they are the mercedes benz of the gun world shure there are just as reliable cars as a benz but at the end of the day its still a benz! just like a hk its more
of status to me i can afford the best so i buy the best kinda thing.. when i open carry leo's are like can i see that? wow hk this hk that i got a hk45 as my first hand gun cuz it was better looking than the fn 45..

1 - 20 of 58 Posts