HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are needs to be modified in order to be able to use standard Pmags? I'm not a fan of modifying magazines because you never know when you'll need someone elses mag.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Shelve at front of magazine must be filed down, to allow seating mag. Then sides might need little sanding for free dropping of empty mag.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless I'm blind, I haven't seen you post lately? Welcome back.

So there is no normal means to only modify the rifle. Sanding the rifle isn't a big deal. Is it because the mags sit higher in the mag well?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Eeek. I would not modify the rifle. At all.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eeek. I would not modify the rifle. At all.
It's not a collectors piece that I would sit and look at. It's a battle rifle that only earns it's place in my safe by bending to my needs. :0)

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
How deep do you have to get to go through the aluminum anodizing and negate the protective finish of the MR556 magwell? Seems counterintuitive to me to mess with the guns magwell to get it work with a plastic mag when there are plenty of other cheap options that work fine.

US GI mags work and are cheap. The new Magpul M3 mag coming out this summer works with the MR556/416 magwell if you have to have PMAGs.

Why worry/obsess over being able to always use someone elses mags (unless maybe you belong to an infantry unit going to combat)? If you are not confident in your own abilities to supply enough mags that work with your rifle under all scenarios, you should carry this logic through and sell your P30 for a Glock, because you never know when you will need a pistol mag too.

Anyway, to answer your original question, jam a PMAG into the MR556 and note where the front ribs hang up at the front of the magwell. Start removing aluminum until this is no longer an issue.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
It's not a collectors piece that I would sit and look at. It's a battle rifle that only earns it's place in my safe by bending to my needs. :0)
RULE 1: Always modify the cheapest part first! If for some unknown reason you have a hard-on that big for the PMag, just modify the mags. Not picking on you here, but i'd bet 99% of us with butcher a perfectly good lower if we attempted to modify the lower. So many better options exist before hacking at your lower.

Tell you what, i'll trade you an LMT mil-spec lower that feeds PMags all day long for your nasty old HK lower.

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
What are needs to be modified in order to be able to use standard Pmags? I'm not a fan of modifying magazines because you never know when you'll need someone elses mag.
Run the HK Maritime Mags and you won't have to modify your rifle or your mags..then simply buy plenty of them so you'll never need to barrow your buddies mags they'll want to barrow from you.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not obsessing, I'd just like to know what needs to be modified, if it can be. You never know what you'll need or have available. Since I'll be having the barrel cut and reprofiled It's not that much more work to make the rest of the rifle usable with with a very common magazine. I don't know many people who fight/train professionally or shoot ACTS that don't use Pmags.

It's just a question. I get the feeling some people are thinking that I'm trying to insult the rifle when it's the opposite. I like it enough to use it to do exactly what I want.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Right. Got that. The thing is, if you were to mess up the lower, thats one hell of an expensive mess-up. A Pmag is a pmag.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
It's just a question. I get the feeling some people are thinking that I'm trying to insult the rifle when it's the opposite. I like it enough to use it to do exactly what I want.
I don't think anyone is drawing that conclusion. Rather, I think the majority of us (myself, Hunter, Fire, and Holshot) were trying to convey that the effort and risk involved in modifying the rifle directly simply isn't worth it. But in the end, it's your gun to do with as you please.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I'll take the barrel!

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Unless I'm blind, I haven't seen you post lately? Welcome back.
I'm posting less often, because I become a father recently and most of the time I run around like headless chicken. Rifles are easier to maintain and operate ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Waiting for the new version Pmags to be released.
In the meantime I'll be using a dozen or so HK maritime mags that I collected way before the release of the MR556.
GI mags work as well is that not correct?
No reason to bugger up your new battle rifle...

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Waiting for the new version Pmags to be released.
In the meantime I'll be using a dozen or so HK maritime mags that I collected way before the release of the MR556.
No reason to bugger up your new battle rifle...
GI mags are OK. Same Lancer L5 AWM mags.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
Correct. When used with the heavier mil-spec "red" or "rust" spring or Wolff XP, loaded with 28 rounds or less, and used in conjunction with Magpul anti-tilt style followers, you have a very cost-effective AND reliable option that will function in any AR lower.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts