HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
True confessions time. I did something really dumb today, and I thought perhaps I would feel better if I at least admitted it and then also cautioned other HK4 users on this topic. Gain from my loss, you know?

I had some time off today and fired the HK4 with the .22 conversion kit. Brought it home and set about cleaning it on a towel I had placed on the picnic table in the back yard.

Now, don't all reach the same conclusion at the same moment. But I'll bet you have. What's the one thing you shouldn't do with an HK4 outside? Yep. Convert it from rimfire to centerfire...or vice versa, for that matter.

I had the barrel out and cleaned inside the slide and was reversing the faceplate when ... yes ... the firing pin spring popped off. And yes, it didn't land on the towel. That would have been too easy. I saw where it landed in the grass and spent a few minutes looking, but talk about the proverbial needle in the haystack. No luck.

Fortunately I had a back-up that I deployed, but only after I had moved the slide into the relative safety of my basement bench area. So the pistol is assembled and operational in .380 mode, but I'm just a little miffed that I would have allowed myself to lose that spring. Not one of my finer gun maintenance moments, if you know what I mean.

Anyway folks, don't try this conversion process outside. Contra-indicated. Not advised. Bad idea, too. Take my word for it!

- Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DrMark said:
Recommend you give the area another search employing a magnet...
Excellent thought. For now, though, the search is called off due to darkness. May give the magnet idea a try tomorrow, though. Thanks! - DS

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
The best way to keep from losing springs and such (outside or inside), is to take the gun apart inside one of those plastic bags you get back when you have cloths cleaned at the dry cleaners. Gun smith at FBI in Quantico told me that one. They do that, especially when working on strange guns they don't know much about.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I cannot count the number of times that I have been on my hands and knees searching through the corners and crevices of my shop searching for springs and such that mysteriously fly away when performing maintenance! Like a previous poster stated, a research of the area with a magnet is a good idea. I wish you much luck in finding the spring, and you have my sympathy if you don't find it! I keep spares on hand now of all springs that are small and prone to disappear!

·
2,831 Posts
been there done that.......not with a HK4(thanks for the warning) but with other guns, car parts.........any little bit that might fly off in to La-la-land ;)

·
Registered
510 Posts
ditto ditto ditto. springs, screws, whdyawidgetts, how can anything so little be so much trouble?
not just firearms either. Found the spring out of a fishing real I was cleaning on a fishing trip 160 miles out to sea... in a boal of potato chips.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
With my hand the size of two large pipe wrenches, I diffently know the feeling!! I have lost small to medium size parts almost all my life... Yes it's a huge PIA.... I will have to say that the return dry cleaning bag souds good. Although I would have to say I probally need the large clear redumption bags... Good luck with magnet!! TJ

·
2,831 Posts
searched last night for a roller out of a bolthead......hands and knee with flashlight.....finaly found it in my apron(dont' ask) :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
you have my sympathy. I now spread out an old sheet under my work area and my work table has an old light blue yoga mat on top. Parts show up real well against the blue mat and if/when things pop off I can usually find them by lifting up the 4 corners of the sheet to bring things to the bottom. The sheet also works well when I'm doing car stuff. I like the plastic bag idea, Ill try that next.

HK4
PSP (gosh darn I like this gun)
USP45C
9 mm Expert
SIG trailside
S&W 686+
Kahr CW9

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Hmmm. I was on the line at the Creek years ago with a new Walther MPL. Suddenly started having FTE problems. No ejector, pin or spring. The guys two positions to my right found two of the parts... the pin and spring. Later in the afternoon, the guys one position to the right found the ejector... in his left jacket pocket. Dunno why it flew apart... hasn't since. I try not to take things too small apart on the line.....

That's the same day the flash hider thingie on a Vollmers HK51 threw itself about 30 yards down range with a heavier than normal whump. Somebody found that too. No damage... back on the gun...??

Strange day... almost broke everything I had.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts