HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a "what do I NEED to swap" question, it's a "if you had a kit with all german parts, what would YOU swap" question.

Because the BATFE, in their infinite wisdom, only allows - at best - ownership of a bastardized MP5, what makes one bastard worth more than another (build quality being equal)? It almost seems pointless to spend the extra money on genuine HK parts at all, since, as I said, it will only ever be a bastard.

Since the reciever is US-made registered title 1 firearm, I was considering putting in a new US barrel, trunion and cocking tube. Would it be worth more if I decided to go german for those parts and focused my compliance efforts elsewhere? Would blowing off my SBR plans and just going the pistol route make it a "more desireable" firearm?

Odds are I would never sell it (don't tell my wife I said that), so I'm not really looking to make a profit or anything. I'm just curious as to what the HK community considers to be the "most authentic" legal parts configuration.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't believe that the cocking tube is a compliant part, so you can use an original German one without worry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Barrel, Bolt, Carrier would be the parts I value most.
I'd hate to "waste" a genuine HK barrel on a U.S. trunion, so I guess I have my answer.

So long as what I build is an investment <wink wink>, the wife's fine with it; then I'll take her to the range, she'll have some giggles, say "this is great, where's yours?" and it'll all be good (at least, that's how it worked out with "our" AR's). :)

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
For me the best "value" is searching out a complete German parts set. for the build. I have found it is the "nickel & dime" parts that can really up. With a complete parts set you have the mag catch assembly, the sights, etc. I prefer the fact that the factory has already set up the bolt gap. RCM paers are great, but just like buying a car one part at a time it can be fairly expensive. As with the DJ builds he just announced, I'd go with a US made trigger group, furniture, and maybe a cocking handle.

Around last Xmas I found a deal on two MP5 A2 parts sets. One of them had an Action 3 bolt group. I bought the two sets for $2,300. In my mind that is one at $1,100 and the Action 3 for $1,200. Add to that build cost and if you go "on the cheap" you could get by by for around $100 for compliant parts. YMMV.

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts