HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these off of GunBroker for a good deal and they appear to be LEO trade-ins. Mags seem to function fine (I haven't been to the range to shoot yet) but they were dirty as hell (as in never cleaned) and the apparently dropped/rubbed to the point that the finish on the aluminum base is scratched with little finish left. I bought a bottle of Birchwood Casey aluminum black refinisher but my question is what should I use to prep the metal and take out the scratches? Steel wool, fine grit sandpaper, something else?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I got these off of GunBroker for a good deal and they appear to be LEO trade-ins. Mags seem to function fine (I haven't been to the range to shoot yet) but they were dirty as hell (as in never cleaned) and the apparently dropped/rubbed to the point that the finish on the aluminum base is scratched with little finish left. I bought a bottle of Birchwood Casey aluminum black refinisher but my question is what should I use to prep the metal and take out the scratches? Steel wool, fine grit sandpaper, something else?

I bet an ultrasonic cleaner would take the rest of that off.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you click the picture and blow it up to 1280, you can see they're both scratched up. I need a solid method to buff out the scratches.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's difficult to guess without actually seeing and feeling it in person, but I would try a progressive sandpaper approach. Something along lines of 220, then 320 and then 400 or even 600. Perhaps even something like #0000 steel wool and some polish?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks HK_Panther. My other solution is to just mail them to CCR and have them do it since they've got 20% off refinishing service until the 15th.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My other solution is to just mail them to CCR and have them do it since they've got 20% off refinishing service until the 15th.
Hmm...I guess if you're really picky for $12, CCR might be the way to go if you don't want to bother with it yourself. I'd try it yourself first and if you don't like the results, just send it in to CCR.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know, and here I already bought the aluminum refinishing compound :-o Just a lazy arse sometimes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts