HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the Rookie section and got some helpful advice. I wanted to see what advice my NY brethren can share.

I've had my USP 45 Tactical now for over a month and I LOVE IT. Just a pure pleasure to shoot this gun and I've become quite smitten with the HK brand and several of their models. So I am debating as to what HK to get next as I have this lovely 3 month wait period that the City of New York has instilled on civilians for pistol purchases.

A good friend of mine is currently holding a Republic Arms .45 and a Sig Sauer P239 in 9mm for me when I use to have my NY state permit. However, the RA is a piece of crapola (sorry if that offends anyone) and as much as I like the Sig, I'm enamored with HK (can you really blame me?). So he lucks out and gets to keep both of those pistols.

As for me, this is the "list" I am looking at:

USP Tactical 40 - I already have the 45 so why not stick to what I know?
USP 40 full size - without the bells and whistles of the Tactical
USP 9 Compact - as a replacement for my departed Sig P239
P7 Series - I have to admit I know nothing about these other than what I have read on the forums. The more I look at it, the more I like the simplicity of it. If anyone can recommend a particular model, I'd appreciate it.

So tell me what you think I should go with and why. If you have something else to suggest for my list, please do so as I appreciate all input. Thanks to all in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
go with one of the recently imported P7 PSPs. the grip angle ensures that if you properly squeeze the trigger, the gun will hit what you aim at. the design very unique, like a swiss watch, and im very pleased with it. the only thing is its not a heavy range use gun like a p226, 92FS, USP 9 etc since it heats up quickly.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
P7's. NExt time you're at the range, if John's working the desk, ask to see and dry fire his P7. You'll see why that thing is so sweet and why he babies that thing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
P7 PSP -will not be this cheap again for awhile

USPC40 - i love mine in stainless
Tac40 is a wonderful gun but since you have the tac 45 whats the point?
uspc9mm- not much difference between that and my 40 and it's kind of "so what?" to me.
Socom?
Expert 9mm?
USC?- this would work with 10rd mags in NYC

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for sharing guys. I'm concerned that by the time my 3 month wait period ends, all the decent P7 PSP's will be gone and the good prices for them will disappear as well.

My Tactical 45 is just right for me and the Socom would be overkill. Maybe I'll get a regular full size USP 40 or USP 9. Never gave the USC much thought. Not sure if this is allowed in NYC. If so, I'll have to sign up for a rifle license as well. Nice looking piece though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
3 month wait>? its that bad in NYC? why dont you ask your shop if they can hold it for you until this wait period is over? thats what i did while i waited for my ny state permit.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a single pistol purchase in NYC, a civilian must wait a mandatory 3 months before being able to purchase another pistol (just one mind you). The part that really sucks is that after the 3 months, you have to submit a purchase order request which in itself can take another month. Grand total = 4 months wait.

Good idea though about having a shop hold it. I'll call around and see if that is possible. If I can get in on one of those grade "A" P7's and have them ship to the shop and held, that would be fantastic.

·
Registered
221 Posts
PM inbound with some helpful thoughts....
i know a guy who has p7's and will ship to NY at decent prices. I also know a guy who will hold them for you while you file the paperwork (he does this in yonkers, i'm not sure about NYC guys). the ffl in NY is a LEO so everything is on the up and up.

BTW, p7's get hot if shoot them rapidly in SA for quite a few rounds. I really like the compacts, too. You just need to get what you like...

You ever get a chance to come up to where I live (PM me), I'll let you shoot my toys. We need to get the greater NYC guys together...but it has to be outside of NYC.
I have:
Usp45F
Uspc40ss
Uspc9mm
UspTac40

also have: just can't shoot these in Yonkers, closest range I know of that honors my permit is in Goshen NY, Davis Shooting Sports.
USC
JLD PTR91 (with about 70 mags)
Marlin .22
Mossberg 500 8-shot persuader cruiser model

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm curious about that too as well dmg. I thought a permit from any county in New York State would pretty much allow you to purchase and shoot anywhere in the state except the five boroughs of NYC.

·
Registered
221 Posts
no ranges to shoot it at nearby. they won't even let me shoot my usc b/c the muzzle velocity is too high they say. let alone .308 or shotgun

i can shoot the .22 though.

there's a nice place way up in goshen that has an indoor rifle range out to 100yds. i can shoot anything up to but not including a 50bmg

·
Registered
8 Posts
wheres a good 500m plus .50 friendly range within 2.5 hours of nassau? i used to go to calverton but havent been there since 04 due to the new frequenters of the place and lack of safety i have observed

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would love to participate in group get together among the NY crew. Get some grub and chat amongst enthusiats then head out for a shoot.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
no ranges to shoot it at nearby. they won't even let me shoot my usc b/c the muzzle velocity is too high they say. let alone .308 or shotgun

i can shoot the .22 though.

there's a nice place way up in goshen that has an indoor rifle range out to 100yds. i can shoot anything up to but not including a 50bmg
Don does that place rent .308 and shotty's? I've been dying to rent one so that I can try it out before applying for my long barrel permit. Also would need a place to shoot it if I did get one...

·
Registered
221 Posts
you have the suffolk trap and skeet in the NYC, I'm not going through the hassle of going into NYC...
here's a pretty good list of stuff in NY:
http://www.webcom.com/gun_guy/rangesny.htm

seems to me there are other place in NYC too.

here's the range in goshen, it comes recommended to me from the guys you met at the store that night muevelo...I haven't gotten there, yet.
http://www.davisshootingsports.com/index.htm

i hear this place is good too, haven't been there either, though. pretty i can only shoot at night at my local range. all my other shooting gets done on trips.
http://www.firinglineny.com/

as far as renting you can call and see, if not you could borrow some of my toys if we ever get together up there.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man, I haven't shot a .308 in over 15 years! When I was a kid, I use to visit my uncle in Syracuse during the summer. He use to take my younger brother and I shooting and those are my first experiences with handguns and rifles. To boot, the .308 I shot was an HK91, my first HK experience! Fond memories.

Don, if we can get something going for this summer, that would be great. It's also been a long time since I've shot outdoors. Mue, if I can bum a ride off you, I'd split or pay for the majority of gas and tolls bro. The range in Goshen looks nice from their website.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Suffolk is a 3 hour drive. :p

But maybe we should have a meet sometime and everyone can BYOG in northern NY. :) and yes you can bum a ride :) "uuh yes officer... the trunk is filled with guns..."

you have the suffolk trap and skeet in the NYC, I'm not going through the hassle of going into NYC...
here's a pretty good list of stuff in NY:
http://www.webcom.com/gun_guy/rangesny.htm

seems to me there are other place in NYC too.

here's the range in goshen, it comes recommended to me from the guys you met at the store that night muevelo...I haven't gotten there, yet.
http://www.davisshootingsports.com/index.htm

i hear this place is good too, haven't been there either, though. pretty i can only shoot at night at my local range. all my other shooting gets done on trips.
http://www.firinglineny.com/

as far as renting you can call and see, if not you could borrow some of my toys if we ever get together up there.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hey guys, I live in Rockland County, and have been to the Davis Shooting Sports that Don mentions in Goshen, and it is a pretty nice range. I think we should definitely set up a get together for up there, I'd even be willing to pick some people up from the train station if you're coming from south of here. Since I go into the city for work, I can list out directions on how to get up this way, it's pretty easy. Basically just take the Path to Hoboken and hop on a Port Jervis destined train. I only take it up to Suffern, but I can find out which stop is closest to the range and set a time to pick up people coming on the train. I can take 4 others in my car relatively comfortably, and I'm sure some of the people in Westchester would be willing to shuttle as well if needed.

I can coordinate with the range to see about reserving a set number of lanes and possibly getting a group discount. They're normal rate is $15/hour and there is no membership required. I can also try to find out if there's a park or somewhere close by that we could BBQ at afterwards.

Don, I think the Firing Line might be closed now. Last time I was at Davis they said that they shut down. I haven't been by there or called them recently to find out though, so I'll give them a ring tomorrow to find out for sure.

I've already got plans for next weekend, and Labor Day, so how about the weekend after next, the 25th. If that doesn't work, I'd suggest the 2nd or 3rd weekends in September.

We've all been tossing around the desire to have a HKPro NYC area shoot, lets finally do it! The summer's quickly dwindling, lets do this before the nice weather is gone.

Greg

·
Registered
221 Posts
thanks for the info greg,

sep looks good to me the 15 or 29 would be best. im going to the yankees on the 21st and will be beat on 22. i normally get to bed about 3AM after the games.

my money is on davis

what about blue mountain? u familiar with them?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts