HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a HK91. I have an SLB200 and HK630.

What should I look for when buying a HK91?

thanks

Doug

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
I'm a stickler for pitting on the bolt head and bottom of the carrier. Bolt gap is always good to know.

I also like to see the date codes/German markings on things like the bolt head as well to verify they aren't US parts (unless advertised).

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Look inside the receiver, along the rails that the bolt head rollers contact. Check for indentations to the inside of the rails, either near the trunion or the real of the receiver. Check the barrel for pitting, and worse, a bulge. Bolt gap can be addressed, usually by changing rollers to a larger size. Trigger group and buttstock should go on and off easily, and hopefully you won't need to hammer out the buttstock pins, they should install and be removed by the fingers, although may be tight.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Here's how to check for bolt gap:
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-reference-library/56875-bolt-assembly-bolt-gap-instructions.html

But that ISN"T a good indicator of condition. They may have replaced to rollers.

Like buying a used car? Condition is everything! Be careful if the gun looks too nice, it may have been refinished. (That will make a beater, look good)
Best thing to do is ask questions and find out as much as you can on the history of that weapon. Check out the bore. It's hard to determine if the gun was at some point a Full auto and got shot to hell!!

The integrity of the seller will be your best indicator. There are great deals here on the forum that pop up from upstanding member here. Don't rush into buying a gun! Learn all that you can and be patient.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Bolt gap is important but can sometime be easily repaired with a new locking piece or rollers. Barrel condition and matching date codes and correct bolt are also important.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You guys may have missed the most important thing. PRICE. If the gun is $1,200 you have plenty of room to restore it worse case. If the Seller is looking for 3k it better be LNIB with the original box, and a story to match why it was not shot in 30 years.
The current market seems to be selling (key point here, not advertising you own the gun) 91s around $1,900 to $2,300 as described above with matching codes and such. Good Luck and do your homework, and never rush in unless the seller wants $1,000.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the great information.

Based on all the advice and tips the gun was very clean. The seller even found the box, target and cleaning kit...

And most importantly he worked with me on price to be in the middle of the range that c-venn mentioned.

Does the box add any value?

Again thanks

Doug

·
Registered
19 Posts
make sure the receiver doesnt have marks from a claw scope mount. If anyone had a scope on it their may be deep scratches on the receiver.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
make sure the receiver doesnt have marks from a claw scope mount. If anyone had a scope on it their may be deep scratches on the receiver.
Big deal. A few scratches don't translate into crap gun and they are easy enough to fix.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts