HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the manual it stated that the HK45 can be immersed in any cleaning solvent that is safe to put your hands into. Can someone elaborate what this entails and is it necessary to immerse the firearms for cleaning after prolonged use?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
I never immerse mine into anything I take them apart and clean them good with CLP. Remove the clp then apply a small ammount of it to the lubrication points. Never had any problems

·
Registered
851 Posts
I use Hoppe's 9 and I too never immerse. If I use too much or it gets into a tight spot, I used an air duster (spray can air) to blow it out and wipe the excess.

·
Registered
173 Posts
+1 on hoppe's 9 thats all i ever use to clean all my firearms again i dont immerse but take the gun apart and clean the parts one at a time. i use a
q-tip to get the solvent out of hard to get to areas. then once every thing is clean as sfguard said lube the lubrication points.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've used the MPro 7 products for a long time and have been very pleased. The MPro 7 cleaner is non-toxic, odorless and pretty easy on the skin. I don't usually immerse anything, but I have on occasion when I planned to give something a long soak. The MPro 7 cleaner is a surfactant. It is a low surface tension liquid that works its way under deposits and breaks them free from the surface they are on.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok thanks for the responses, I'm a Hoppes 9 user as well and I haven't immersed any of my other guns before and was just curious about that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have to say that I have had great luck with teh Mpro7 cleaner and have been using the "newer" Weapon Shield CLP (from the designer of FP-10) and that's all I use. I think both do an excellent job. As for immersion? I'm too scared to do that since I have NEVER done that before to any firearm I have owned.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
It´s just a tool, don´t be too scared to use it ;) when my P7´s mechanism got to that point of untolerable dirtyness last time, I showered it with hot water and scrubbed everything away with a tooth-brush and some Wilkinson shaving gel. You´d be surprised how well that works on guns, though my face got somehow iritated the only time I used it on myself.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've cut my cleaning time almost in half by using Cylinder and Slide's Dunk-it for Polymer Guns and an air compressor to blow out the crud. I like Dunk-it because it leave a light coat of oil on ALL the internal parts (very fine). Dunk-it also keeps ME cleaner.

As for thel air compressor (I got one brand new small unit off of Ebay for 50 bucks), it was one of the best gun related accessories I've ever purchased - no more replacing can after can of compressed air.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/GWdunkit.htm

This is the compressor I got off of Ebay - winning bid was around $50. Hard to beat.

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/6103873

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Hello Richard! I got the same compressor at Wallymart & you are right about how much it helps! I just picked up a quart of Hoppes #9 my favorite thus far but you've got me curious about the Dunk-Kit.

Have you moved into the NFA items yet? Shoot me a pm.

Michael

·
Registered
484 Posts
CLP

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hello Richard! I got the same compressor at Wallymart & you are right about how much it helps! I just picked up a quart of Hoppes #9 my favorite thus far but you've got me curious about the Dunk-Kit.

Have you moved into the NFA items yet? Shoot me a pm.

Michael
Kwes, have I ever steered you wrong? LOL. I'd rather spend more time shooting and less time cleaning (and less stains on my clothes ain't bad either). Dunk-it for polymer guns has really made a difference. It's good stuff and lasts a long time. I recommend the gallon size and look for a wire mesh basket to put your parts in - submerge basket into the bucket of Dunk-it, leave for 10 minutes (won't harm Tritium sights by the way), scrub parts with a toothbrush, re-submerge parts into the Dunk-it for a few minutes, and then blow the crud out with your compressor. Simple as can be. For the barrel however, I still clean the traditional way, your call (I like a 50/50 mixture of Kroil and Hoppes #9).

For lubrication afterwards, I am not a big fan of CLPs but will use them in a pinch. Instead, I have found nothing better than Brian Enos' Slide Glide Lite. It is recommended for carry guns and is the best for breaking in a new gun. It is the only lube on my bench currently. Great stuff.

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/slide-glide.html

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_12_47/ai_79586210

By the way Mike, did I tell you I got a Walther P99? Great gun.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Richard; that Slide-Glide is different stuff...where do you come up with all these interesting products?

Personally I am still a huge fan of "RZ-50" that I found over on the Ktog board. This is dry lube and it is great. When I sold my Glock 26 that had about 3,200 rounds thru it, without a drop of grease or oil, just the Rz-50 the happy new owner said "this looks like NIB" - I just ;-).

I'm not familiar with that Walther - how is it?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Dishwasher

Dishwasher with softwater and calgon, then your favorite lube

1 - 20 of 38 Posts