HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[What spare parts, high wear items, should one have on hand for the SP 89 Bolt, for the bolt assembly, and rest of gun, and which rollers are the correct ones. I have the orig. flat faced bolt head, that came with the SP 89, and I also have a new, Action 3 bolt head, as a spare. First, do they take the same size rollers, and retaining clip? Next, what other items are a MUST HAVE, as far as spare parts go for the SP 89 (springs, pins etc)?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
[What spare parts, high wear items, should one have on hand for the SP 89 Bolt, for the bolt assembly, and rest of gun, and which rollers are the correct ones. I have the orig. flat faced bolt head, that came with the SP 89, and I also have a new, Action 3 bolt head, as a spare. First, do they take the same size rollers, and retaining clip? Next, what other items are a MUST HAVE, as far as spare parts go for the SP 89 (springs, pins etc)?
I suggest at least one extractor, a few extractor springs- probably a firing pin, too.

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
Wow, you actually shoot your SP89? Props to you my friend....I can't bring myself to fire my unfired one. :wink:

·
Registered
765 Posts
My list would echo Pointblank's
....I can't bring myself to fire my unfired one. :wink:
#1, you don't know what you're missing.
#2 why buy a gun if you don't plan on shooting it?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes, I do actually fire it, though some times I do question my own wisdom, or lack there of. I will say though, I spend 3 times the amount of time cleaning it, as I do firing it. The gun is sweet to shoot, I can not bear to look at it, without getting it warm at least once in awhile. Besides, I do not ever see myself actually parting with it, I have had it for 12 years, so the loss in resale value, I make up in the enjoyment factor. I will let whoever inherits it from me someday curse me for the any residue is left behind, and being dumb enough to shoot it. It still looks cherry though. Anyway, what are the correct roller size, and retainer plate, and is it the same for the regular bolt (flat face)that is in the gun, and the Action 3 spare that I have?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Assuming your SP89 is all original, the standard retaining plate is what you'll want. Unless you're doing something abnormal with the gun, go with the "standard" rollers (8mm), as well. Also, in case you were wondering about it, you'll want the newer extractor claw.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since we are talking about the BCG, i believe, (its not in front of me)my LP has a #16 on it, which makes it 100 deg. right? Is that the correct LP, because I have read other articles that it is not. Which is the correct LP for a German HK SP 89? Also, I read somewhere else that you should keep one set of "oversized rollers" on hand, is that true, and if so, what size would they be?

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Since we are talking about the BCG, i believe, (its not in front of me)my LP has a #16 on it, which makes it 100 deg. right? Is that the correct LP, because I have read other articles that it is not. Which is the correct LP for a German HK SP 89? Also, I read somewhere else that you should keep one set of "oversized rollers" on hand, is that true, and if so, what size would they be?
The #16 is 110 degrees and is correct for older (as if all the SP89s are not older ;-) MP5K guns. Recently HK went to 100 degree locking piece, which is the same unmarked LP as in a MP5A2.
HK Locking Pieces

A few years ago always figured should keep at least the first oversize rollers, plate and couple roll pins around if the stock dried up, however, with the current US production I am less concerned ... plus probably have enough rollers for the rest of my life (excluding possible the MM23eK if they are different), in part due to being older and in part due to ammo no longer being a dime or less a round, when I have to buy more.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Don't mean to hijack, but this is somewhat related. I have an MKE 94K (sp89 clone) should I be getting the same spare parts? Is there a spare parts kit I can buy from somewhere?
Thanks

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
My list would echo Pointblank's
#1, you don't know what you're missing.
#2 why buy a gun if you don't plan on shooting it?
1. I've shot one before. And I've shot a K built by Fleming from an SP89 w/ a pack at Ghillie's shoot. That's good enough for me...I'll hold onto my unfired one.

2. Because I have the money to buy guns that I don't have to fire. :)

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
1. I've shot one before. And I've shot a K built by Fleming from an SP89 w/ a pack at Ghillie's shoot. That's good enough for me...I'll hold onto my unfired one.

2. Because I have the money to buy guns that I don't have to fire. :)

Each to his own. One of the guys use to get two or three or everything, one to shoot and one to collect and maybe one to trade off later .... but most of those went for nicer toys much to large to hold ;-). Myself have wander in and out of light collecting over the years, however, most of the guys (and myself) tend to be shooters, so I tend to trade off anything that is not used in three or five years. A collection really needs to be focused in an area and on display to enjoy (either at home or work where you can share or on display at events). If you can focus a collection in a certain direction, in particular with some history, it helps a lot. Myself I am getting a little older and my idea of "collecting" guns tends to run older than HK roller lock guns, but then again collecting 1970 muscle cars would never come to mind either ;-).

Enjoy but also consider getting yourself a few HKs (or clones) to actually shoot with a sear, if you have not already done so. While you might have enough friends with NFA toys at the moment when you get older things change.

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
Enjoy but also consider getting yourself a few HKs (or clones) to actually shoot with a sear, if you have not already done so. While you might have enough friends with NFA toys at the moment when you get older things change.
When I get older? I'm 36...I'm old enough. Unfortunately I live in California so a sear isn't possible. For the time being I have to go to Vegas, Arizona, or Ghillie's to shoot anything fun. :)

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
When I get older? I'm 36...I'm old enough. Unfortunately I live in California so a sear isn't possible. For the time being I have to go to Vegas, Arizona, or Ghillie's to shoot anything fun. :)
The son is nominally your age ;-). Have a few friends that use to shoot with all the time, but as they got older, ended up not shooting for various reasons (some of which were pretty good reasons), so having you own NFA items helps when shooting with the younger generation (i.e. the young 21 year pups in your case, or you from my point of view ;-). However, living in California does tend to complicate life, but the weather is nice.

While a NIB SP89 is always interesting, these tend to really shine with a sear ... but you already know that. Good luck at Ghillie shoot and make sure to get some trigger time on a belt gun and one of Gillie's Dragon's.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just to chime in..........I get the whole new never fired sp89 safe queen. I had a NIB sp89 and a couple of 90 series nib rifles. One day I decided to sell them because I wasn't enjoying them since they were not getting shot. Well kind of not enjoying them, there is something to be said when you pull your unfired HK's out of the safe and fondle them. Anyway, someone has to keep NIB unfired Hk's in the safe or one day there will be no more NIB unfired Hk's. Wouldnt seem right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts