HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am wondering what spring controls the weight of the P30 LEM's initial takeup? I'm talking about the long, light pull before you get to the heavier part at the end. Also... is there any way to make this initial pull heavier without making the last part even more heavy? Ideally, I'd like a heavier takeup (like a smooth DA revolver), buy with a light break and light followup shots from reset. Thanks for the help.

Chris

·
Registered
54 Posts
The TRS is what controls the take-up until just before break. Close to the "second stage" the FPB spring adds a slight bit of additional resistence and then the sear breaks and the hammer drops.

For the trigger you want I would say you'd be best served by a heavy TRS and the light FPB combination.

·
Registered
173 Posts
In addition to what JR956678 said -- which was right on the money -- you can also change out the hammer spring to something a bit lighter to offset the added resistance of the heavy TRS. It's common to use the V3 hammer spring, part number 214300...combined with the heavy TRS and light FPB spring as JR956678 recommended, this is commonly referred to as the "Todd Green Special".

·
Registered
54 Posts
In addition to what JR956678 said -- which was right on the money -- you can also change out the hammer spring to something a bit lighter to offset the added resistance of the heavy TRS. It's common to use the V3 hammer spring, part number 214300...combined with the heavy TRS and light FPB spring as JR956678 recommended, this is commonly referred to as the "Todd Green Special".
An interesting combination. Would not the biggest effect of a lighter hammer spring be to lighten the actual release of the sear? The bulk of the work compressing the hammer spring is done by the recoil of the slide which then is held cocked by the sear. The lighter the hammer spring the less load on the sear and the easier it would be to release it, or so I might think.

I actually experienced how at least the TRS and the FPB springs affect the LEM trigger when I had some work done on my P2000SK. That work replaced the heavy TRS with the light TRS but initially left the heavy FPB spring. I really didn't like the trigger in that setup - it took what had felt like a 2 stage trigger and made it almost a 3 stage trigger. A light initial pull until the FPB needed to be retracted, at which point the heavy FPB spring produced a very noticeable increase in pull up until the point when the sear would be released. At this point it took VERY little additional pull to release the sear. Since I was used to sort of staging the trigger during target work I found that it was very difficult to stage - by the time I had retracted the FPB there was little distinction to actually releasing the sear and in dry fire often found the sear releasing when I didn't expect or want it to. This was fixed by replacing the heavy FPB spring with the light FPB spring which made the stage where you retract the FPB almost undetectable and staging the trigger for target shooting more like it had been at first - just lighter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts