HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Among three projects going on this year one is a MP5 40 clone SBR waiting paperwork to clear. And another is an MP5 10mm build hopefully will have both by the fall.

I am looking for opinions on what suppressor to buy? Should I get the Knights suppressor, original that was manufactured for HK or another newer or better one that is out there?

Thanks in Advance.
Axe

·
Registered
48 Posts
Are you gonna have the same thread pitch for both rifles?KAC, AAC Tirant or Silencerco Osprey. Any of those will do.KAC is built like a brick shirt house and so is the Tirant but the tirant is take apart which can help in cleaning. The osprey is cheaper than both and would work but I would check with the manufacturers to see if they are rated for the 10mm, Im sure all three cans are rated for .40. Im not sure how effecient the sound reduction will be because both are hot rounds and I assume you will be getting a .45 can, meaning the i.d. of the baffles will have more space between the bullet and the baffles when the bullet travels through, generally the baffle tolerances should be like my future wife, the tighter the better. There are advantages to getting any of those cans. The KAC cans advantage is that it is a "KAC" can and built very sturdy. It is the only centerfire pistol can that I know of that has the baffles welded to the inside tube. The advantages of the tirant is it is a bit cheaper and built tough although Im not too sure how well it would stand up to the 10mm, it is a take-apart can and that aids in keeping it clean but my experience is a slightly dirty can has better sound suppression. The osprey's advantage os cost saving and it meters close to both other cans although I do not know how any of the cans listed handle the 40 or 10. My .02

Oh, and dont forget that you will need a fixed spacer which may limit you to only the AAC Tirant. Something to think about. Anyoen know if the Osprey or KAC have a fixed spacer?

Might want to think of a custom build.

·
Grand Chazzar
3,353 Posts
I had the chance to demo the Raptor last Saturday .......
When I was shooting I heard a giant crack .....
When my buddy shot & I stood back about 5 ft it sounded pretty good .
It's the only can I have tried in the 40 as of yet ....
Im kinda picky tho .......
Having said that I was using WWB 160gr (I think ) & Tulla 180 steel case
The Tulla didn't sound bad even when I did the shooting .
Suppressors are difficult to shop for !

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
can the raptor be taking apart for cleaning? Is the baffles aluminum? and if so are they coated to protect against ware?
It is not designed to be taken apart for cleaning. They use aluminum baffles, anodized I think. It came highly recommended from friends but there aren't many, if any, three lug options that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the KAC unit. The performance is excellent.

My wife has been shooting an MP5/40 with the KAC in subgun matches for a year now. It is quiet enough that some timers won't pick it up.

·
Grand Chazzar
3,353 Posts
The Raptor40 can be used on 9mm MP5's by changing the sleeve/piston inside the mount.
This is what I had thought as well.
However, gemtech nor any of the other probably 10 Suppressor manufacturers had a 3 lug adapter for a 9 .
I take that back,
Liberty had a 3 lug for thier mystic can , but if I remember correctly it had different threads than the raptor
Non the less
I didn't get to try the raptor on the 9mm

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Among three projects going on this year one is a MP5 40 clone SBR waiting paperwork to clear. And another is an MP5 10mm build hopefully will have both by the fall.

I am looking for opinions on what suppressor to buy? Should I get the Knights suppressor, original that was manufactured for HK or another newer or better one that is out there?

Axe:

Just a thought, the Knight can is a thread on one and the Raptor is a 3-lug. I don't think either one can be the other, if that makes sense.
Perhaps, I should clarify. The Knight can does not have a 3-lug adaptor and the Raptor can not be threaded on. If someone knows
different, please chime in. I will say I do like 3-lug attachment systems. The threaded ones do work loose and one needs to pay attention
to them from time to time. A picture seems warranted here:

The Knight can is on the 10mm MP5 and the Raptor is on the .40 S&W.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not to hijack, but what level of supression to you see with the KAC?

Is it hearing safe?
Comparison to a MP5SD?

I am in the same boat as the OP

Thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
I run a YHM M2 .45 cobra w/Gemtech 3-lug multimount on my 10mm. I had the extra hump in front of the 3-lug milled off so a standard 3-lug would fit. It's not very quiet on the 10mm, but it takes a lot of the crack off.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe the threads are the same on the .40 and the 10mm and meant for the Knights Armament suppressor. And I am attracted to the aspect that is what HK sold for them but have no point of reference if there any good.

So HKChuck side by side which one is better? Have you tried the booth suppressors on both guns and how do they stack up by caliber?

I looked at a Tyrant .45 so I could use that on a Mark 23 and possibly the 10mm but the sales guy at the local suppressor shop, never thought I heard myself say that growing up in California, said that he didn’t recommend the Tyrant on a .40 even though it says in the spec it can be used. I never evan looked to see if it can be used on the 10mm, I dont think AAC offered a thread attachment for the MP5 40/10.

·
Grand Chazzar
3,353 Posts
Update
I went ahead and sent a check for the 40 raptor today!
Kinda wanted the knights can , but for $1400 ......I'll save some cash & I'll buy a 9mm can too !
In a bout 7 months , I'll know more about suppressing my .MP5 40 clone !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts