HKPRO Forums banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
From what I'm reading you have a normal looking HK45. Mine is like that. My P2000 and P2000sk are like that and to some degree my USP's. It's their style of finish. It won't rust and that's what I care about because every USP I've owned has been a on duty carry gun. There may be some degrees or different shades of their finish. I would have to see pictures of yours to get exactly what you are saying or seeing. I guess that is one of the drawbacks of buying online. You don't get to pick from a few or compare. The fact is, if you don't like , you don't like it. I hope that someone from CDNN or HK can and will help you.
Well my local dealer has 4 of them on display and they all look the same way. So its the way HK is shipping them, not a dealer issue and not something HK is going to have a solution to right now and maybe never.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Greg, I will be able to pick the gun up on Thursday and I will take a pic of it, I was the first one to handle the gun and CDNN only had it for a couple of hours prior to shipping it, so for all intense of purposes it was not handled since shipped from HK. The finish is not pealing off, I never said that, I did say the slide release lever has a copper look to it where the finish is coming off, coming off in the sense of what it looks like when an item is worn from use. It looks just like the ones we have seen in pics from owners here, from HK official photos and even all the gun magazine articles out there about the gun. My P7 finishes are in very good condition and have owned other ones through out the years. Granted mine have not seen the use maybe a NJ State Trooper would have put on one but I have shot IDPA matches with it, practiced with it and shot the hell out of them at the range. The POINT is the HK45 has not even been touched out of the box and there is a finish issue. To you it doesn't matter, to me and many others its a turn off. Again I compare it to the USP which in all reality the HK45 is a replacement to the USP line. I have never had this issue with a USP after thousands of rounds yet the HK45 looks this way out of the box.

I am a very avid trap shooter and shoot a Krieghoff K80, anyone who knows about high end sporting shotguns will tell you the Krieghoff is at the very top of the pack when it comes to quality. My K80 was made in 1991 and looks perfect, I have had the barrel refinished last year for the first time ever but the receiver is the original finish. Now with that said there are other guns made by Ljutic, Perazzi, Kolar, Remington (90T) and many others who's finish comes off after even a years worth of use, some take longer. Yet my K80 is built with the same quality steel as the others but its obvious the other manufactures do not use the same finish or the same process which results in premature finish wear. Does this make Krieghoff better then others? Well some will say its the best others won't, there becomes a lot of brand loyalty when you start talking about these types of guns. One of the reasons I bought a Krieghoff is because the finish does hold up. When you have a $14,000 shotgun with a custom Hilmer stock on it you sure don't want it to look like your duck gun. When I buy a new $900 HK and the finish is coming off its a turn off, I can only imagine what all the Glock guys are going to say when I show them the gun and their Glock cost half of what my new HK did.

So again its not a matter of not liking the gun or it performing well its a matter a short coming in the finish on that one part. HK needs to improve it, and if the steel is keeping it from being able to have a good finish then change the steel.

If you're not happy with the gun, sell it. It's in the same condition as it was when you bought it. If I was HK, that's what I would tell you, after I had given you the correct answers to your question, as Greg has done. Either that, or buy a can of Rustolem flat black oven paint.

Kreighoff's are okay, but Perazzi's are where it's at. Sure I like my Gold Super Scroll, but I always end up shooting the Mirage again. Comparing a shotgun that has at least $2,000 in wood on it, to a $900 polymer pistol is kind of apples and oranges. Give HK the extra $1,100 and I'm sure they can get that slide release coated better for ya.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
dtbbals,

Both Greg, and I gave you the root cause of this issue. As I said in my first post with the USP line, the Slide Release Lever is much bigger, and thicker thus a slightly softer steel can be used. With the P2000, P2000SK, P30, and HK45, HK has redesigned the Slide Release Lever to be thinner, and longer thus it needs to be made of a stronger grade of steel. This stronger grad of steel has a harder time accepting the finish.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well read what I wrote again, I did not say I would not enjoy shooting the new HK45 and have no intention of selling it however I am pointing out a finish that is not a good one and needs to be corrected. You can make excusses for them if you wish but its still not done correctly. I guess if I can buy a can of spray paint and do a better job then HK then there is a problem. I also did not compare a K80 to a HK45, what I did is compare a Krieghoff to other high end guns that have finish problems yet the K80 does not. Another thing Krieghoff does not have is spring issues like a Perazzi, I guess thats why a Perazzi gets shipped with extra springs because they know they are going to break. I guess thats why many Perazzi shooters spend thousands on an extra trigger and carry it with them because they know its going to break and they need to be able to fix it fast. I shoot over 25,000 trap targets with my K80 every year and it has NEVER broken, I just do a PM as needed at the Grand every year and shoot the hell out of it. And a Hilmer stock is a bit more like 4500 bucks. The POINT of it was just because a manufacture makes a product and says here thats how me make it does not make it right. Does HK need to improve their finish on that part? Yes they do. Does perazzi need to learn how to put a better finish on their guns? Yes they do. Does that stop some people from buying them? Nope, they sell a lot of them however perazzi's market share has been dropping. Some people will except anything Hk will produce, I for one have been happy with their products and continue to be but that does not mean they do not have room for improvement.

PS for those of you who do not know Perazzi vs Krieghoff vs Kolar is like the Ford, Chevy and Dodge truck debate. Some will buy what ever a given brand produces no matter if its crap or great. I am one of those who buys what works and is the best for what it is intended to do. My sporting clays gun is not a Krieghoff, I felt there was a better gun for that sport.

I guess we will all have to agree to disagree, some don't care if the finish comes off their gun others do.

Dave

·
Registered
140 Posts
Let me know if it rusts, corrodes etc and I will deem it "no good". I believe that you will not have this problem. It may not be pleasing to your eye but it will work. It is a service weapon.
I don't think anyone here wants this to turn into a flame but the phrase "a finish that is not a good one and needs to be corrected" has raised some hairs becuase it does work and many of us have no problem with it. They won't correct what isn't broken.
In the end some will like their style of finish and some won't.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
:2500000: OMG, SHOTGUN SNOBS!!!!! RUN!

·
Registered
12 Posts
PS the pics of the MK23 is exactly what the HK45 I pick up on Thursday looks like.
Yea, and I got to spend hundreds more $$$ a couple of years ago, just to get the same "brassing" look that you have for much less... Even Moore's Law has caught-up with HK products.:43:

·
Registered
250 Posts
HK has redesigned the Slide Release Lever to be thinner, and longer thus it needs to be made of a stronger grade of steel. This stronger grad of steel has a harder time accepting the finish.
That is in no way an excuse. A $900 pistol should look like a $900 pistol. $400 pistols don't have finish problems like this. Personally, I have 2 USP's and havent experienced any problems like this - but I'd be pissed off if I did.

The truth is that HK doesn't care about it's US civilian customers. That really makes me angry - we sit here, praising a company that doesn't care about us. I guess being the best means never having to say you're sorry.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
That is in no way an excuse. A $900 pistol should look like a $900 pistol. $400 pistols don't have finish problems like this. Personally, I have 2 USP's and havent experienced any problems like this - but I'd be pissed off if I did.

The truth is that HK doesn't care about it's US civilian customers. That really makes me angry - we sit here, praising a company that doesn't care about us. I guess being the best means never having to say you're sorry.

It's a simple matter of metallurgy at this point. Some types of harder steel have harder times accepting finishes.

As I have said before the USP uses a different grade of steel for the slide release lever. I have a USP Elite that gets used all the time and not one part of it has any finish wear including the slide release. I also have a P2000SK that doesn't get shot at all, but it is a carry gun, and both sides of the slide release have the "brass" look to them.

Heckler & Koch has always been very particular of the steel they use for various parts.

There are basicaly three options:

1) Live with it.
2) Call HK Inc and complain about it.
3) Don't buy the product.

I'm not trying to be rude I'm just stating a point.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Another option would be to refinish the metal parts. Tripp's Hard Chrome comes to mind.
Yes, I like the fourth option best myself... No one responded to my earlier post here. Does anyone know (or can point me to a link, if this is a newb - often-asked question that I can't find the stickied answer to) if HK uses a coating or a subsurface heat-treating?

I may just have to send mine off to Kolene immediately upon receipt... I'm not knocking HK. Just saying that if I spend $900 on a pistol, and it's a pistol that has a break-through design, excellent accuracy and reliability, and will probably be my number 1 defensive tool for the next 10 years, I don't mind sending it to get a proper finish that makes it as resilient as it is reliable, accurate, and ergonomic...

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just took my HK45 out for its maiden voyage

I had the chance to shoot my HK45 for the first time yesterday. I ran a 100rnd value pack of WWB through it at the local range. It's a very manageable shooter and I was able to group tight clusters at the 7yd. line. From there, I switched to shooting at some pop cans in the dirt berm on the 25yd line. Its reliability was flawless as I expected.

The magazine was easy to load, even the 10th round. Similarly, the mag was easy to seat with a closed slide. In the past, some people have noted that USPs were prone to dropping into DA when shot with a thumb resting on the safety lever. I'm happy to report, this isn't an issue with the HK45 from my experience. I could tell it required a deliberate motion to decock the pistol. Not that it's difficult, but it is pretty stiff in order to prevent inadvertent decocking while shooting in single action.

The magazines were easy to eject and I didn't have any problem with the mag release levers. I would prefer a little extra spring tension nonetheless.

I'm still partial to SiGs for their triggers, however it did seem the reset on the HK45 was shorter than USPs I've shot in the past. All in all, the HK45 is a very shootable pistol. I liked it well enough to contact CDNN to put me on a callback list for the HK45 Compact when its released.

Here's a few photos:

The minor finish issues on the slide that I reported earlier aren't visible with any photos I've taken. It's one of those things where it has to be in just the right light to see. The copperish color is slightly visible on the left slide stop though. It really doesn't bother me much. The pistol is a nice looking piece nonetheless. The ergos and handling characteristics are outstanding.

I don't know if the HK45 will bump my P220-ELs out of my favorite spot quite yet, but it is certainly an excellent pistol.

·
Registered
377 Posts
So if you guys went to buy a new car, and the paint was faded on the front fender, you would say that's 'character'?

If the metal hardness is to blame, HK should have changed the finish to better 'stick' to the metal.

A NEW pistol should look like a new pistol regardless of cost, but even more so when to get to higher-end options.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree with those who take the position that a new gun should look new, not "worn".

OTOH, the finish on my P30 hasn't changed after 800 rounds thru it and several cleanings...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
So if you guys went to buy a new car, and the paint was faded on the front fender, you would say that's 'character'?
Guns are not cars. HK builds combat handguns, not BBQ pieces. I would certainly rather they let engineers make these decions, not marketing folks.

If the metal hardness is to blame, HK should have changed the finish to better 'stick' to the metal
So they should waste money developing a new finish to match the slide? Remember, HK builds guns for military and police, not for display cases. Further, it is hard to anticipate the endless aesthetic complaints of civilians. It would have never occurred to me that this was a big deal to anyone. You live and you learn.

You know what else, they should come up with a new way to impregnate the barrel hood with black paint so it won't wear of when the gun cycles. And the plastic and the metal don't match either. They should get to work on that. Oh, oh, and the mag doesn't match the top of the slide. Etc.......

·
Registered
569 Posts

LOL, were like a bunch of battered wifes.
J/K

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
That is exactly what I was thinking.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts