HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like the Z41 will not be here for quite a while so I'm looking at PTR.

There is quite a few post about the GI model but not much out there about the FR (unless I missed it/them). I've read that the chambers are tighter then the GI but not much else.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My first PTR was a F and I am on waiting period for an FRCA. I like the look of the straight bull barrel on the standard PTR vs the tapered GI barrel which matches the profile of the HKs. I like the black powder coat finish on the basic PTRs the parkerized GIs look a little unfinished to me. I also like the PTR hand guard more than the HK slimline on the GI though I like wide HK forearms the best. In my opinion the only advantage to the GI is the metal grip frame if you aren't in CA. That gives a better grip and look and costs 100$ to upgrade to normally. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you want somthing more traditional go with the GI otherwise go with the FR. Both will shoot about the same. The bull barrel may hold tighter groups when hot.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The chambers on all of PTR's current production rifles are the same. They did away with the tighter chambers after people complained they couldn't fire the cheap surplus ammo through them.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hey, I really thought the standard GI R model would maybe have a pencil barrel. I just got mine in today and the standard barrel is nice. And I am the biggest barrel snob and anti pencil barrel on the planet. Get the GI R model for the standard good barrel, the rail, metal trigger house, and paddle. I am very impressed with mine. I can't believe more guys don't run these PTR's.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It looks like the Z41 will not be here for quite a while so I'm looking at PTR.

There is quite a few post about the GI model but not much out there about the FR (unless I missed it/them). I've read that the chambers are tighter then the GI but not much else.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Just know that according to PTR, you will need to feed 200 to 300 rounds down the thing, with cleaning the bore after every single shot for the first ???? can't remember, and that you must disassemble and clean the chamber every 10 rounds, and expect FTF and FTE for the first 200 rounds.

If you don't mind the tedium and expense of this - go for it

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just know that according to PTR, you will need to feed 200 to 300 rounds down the thing, with cleaning the bore after every single shot for the first ???? can't remember, and that you must disassemble and clean the chamber every 10 rounds, and expect FTF and FTE for the first 200 rounds.

If you don't mind the tedium and expense of this - go for it

What PTR recommends and people do in the real world are two different things. I have 3 PTR rifles I recommend that one clean/ lube the rifle after getting it, then after shooting 50-100 rounds just take it home and Clean/lube it. Done.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The chambers are the same in the FR. It just has a thicker barrel and some of the old school handguards won't fit without some hacking and filing. Go for it. PTR has a good rep for customer service if you get a bad one. Every company can make a crap gun. I've had a crappy Smith and Wesoon M&P9 before.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Go with the PTR GI R!
Original HK profile and no bull barrel
The slime green furniture is sweet lookin - forearm is skinny instead of the large triangular HK
Phosphate coating is much more original finish than the high gloss powder coat finish
Best part is you get the metal trigger group with green pistol gripe
For sure you need to clean gun during break-in
image.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
I get 1.25" groups with Federal Gold Metal Match, and 2" groups with German MEN ammo or Malaysian surplus. The Malaysian ammo is a great value at less than 40 cents a round.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm getting 2" also with PPU Serbian.

I wanted the Parked finish and the rail on mine. I've fooled with the claw mount in the past. Not a fan. HK should have thought of this themselves years ago. At least as an option.

There is so much you can do with these rifles it's almost like have an AR.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My ptr get about 1.5 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards using hornady steel match.

·
Registered
217 Posts
SQ, If you want a consistent sub 2" group for a lot of rounds buy a bolt rifle. The German accepted dispersion for a large number of rounds from an HK G3 was 6.3" at 110 yards. I think most PTRs with a statistical reliable number of rounds (7 minimum, preferably 10) are going to print about 4". Its about the same for an M1A or FAL.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
You know, PSG1 proved a semiauto can be as accurate as a bolt rifle.

G3/SG1 was not far behind accuracy-wise.
Sorry but the G3 is WAY behind the PSG1 in the accuracy dept.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts