HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in testing, trying out an optic. Do I cut an hk or another pistol? My hks are my sd guns, the others less so.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Before doing anything permanent, check your local range for rental guns similar to your SD guns and try them out.

I had the slide on my VP9 cut for a Holosun green dot and am not one bit sorry, but it's a steep learning curve to acquire the dot quickly every time, so be aware. A rental will show you what it's like but it takes a lot of dry fire practice and at least a few boxes of ammo to become proficient.

-------------------
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are several reputable companies that can mill your slide for an optic of your choice. I used Jagerwerks for my Glock 19. As for my HK pistols my VP9 came with the optic ready slide. I am debating having my P30 and/or P30SK done. There are just a couple places that will cut these 2 pistols and they are not cheap.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rental is an option, but of course the only one available is a long slide Glock. With it's funky grip angle.
How does the red dot compare to a green laser if anyone knows...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a green optic on my VP9 and a green Streamlight TLR8-AG on my P30SK....for me the green is much easier to pick up and much easier to see in the day light. The optic is just a lot better option over the laser in my opinion. But for me both are better then iron sights with my old eyes...lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
How does the red dot compare to a green laser if anyone knows...
I had a green laser for about a year before taking the slide-mounted optic plunge.

For me, the laser was better and faster than irons but the optic is WAY better than both for these old eyeballs.

Not to mention that it's always visible, regardless of how far away the target is or how bright the ambient light is. In bright daylight the green or red laser washes out 10 yards or further.

Also keep in mind with either one you'll need a modified holster.

-------------------

·
Registered
201 Posts
Prob fine to cut. No doubt many on here have done so with no issue. I am not privy to how HK heat treats etc so I wouldn’t. Plus the steel needs to be treated with something to protect it after cutting it and I won’t ceracoat so I’d be looking at a more expensive finish which gets back up to just buy one that is OR. Whatever coating you use it won’t be as good as the HE finish it currently has IMO. I would just buy an OR HK unless you are talking about an HK other than a VP. If not, there are great OR guns from Sig and others unless you are just stuck on whatever HK you are talking about. From your post it doesn’t sound like you are.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Prob fine to cut. No doubt many on here have done so with no issue. I am not privy to how HK heat treats etc so I wouldn’t. Plus the steel needs to be treated with something to protect it after cutting it and I won’t ceracoat so I’d be looking at a more expensive finish which gets back up to just buy one that is OR. Whatever coating you use it won’t be as good as the HE finish it currently has IMO. I would just buy an OR HK unless you are talking about an HK other than a VP. If not, there are great OR guns from Sig and others unless you are just stuck on whatever HK you are talking about. From your post it doesn’t sound like you are.
I was told by DP Custom that the Melonite treatment (that only costs $50) is slightly better/durable than HKs HE Finish. I was under the impression that HE was just Melonite with a nice purty flat black coating over it that wears off fairly easy exposing the Melonite. So I’d say it’s more than likely just as good as HKs HE finish. I’m very happy with my VP9sk cut for an RMR but I agree the OP should try a red dot equipped handgun out first if possible. I rolled the dice and ended up loving it but I still have some training to do with it. If it’s a VP9 I highly recommend DP Custom. Great quality work, decent turn around and more affordable. $75 for the cut, $50 for the Melonite and I got a code for signing up that gave me 15% off! Took about 6 weeks. Definitely cheaper than buying a whole new gun (although if you got the cash an OR VP9L or Match sounds like a great idea! Lol)
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
201 Posts
I was told by DP Custom that the Melonite treatment (that only costs $50) is slightly better/durable than HKs HE Finish. I was under the impression that HE was just Melonite with a nice purty flat black coating over it that wears off fairly easy exposing the Melonite. So I’d say it’s more than likely just as good as HKs HE finish. I’m very happy with my VP9sk cut for an RMR but I agree the OP should try a red dot equipped handgun out first if possible. I rolled the dice and ended up loving it but I still have some training to do with it. If it’s a VP9 I highly recommend DP Custom. Great quality work, decent turn around and more affordable. $75 for the cut, $50 for the Melonite and I got a code for signing up that gave me 15% off! Took about 6 weeks. Definitely cheaper than buying a whole new gun (although if you got the cash an OR VP9L or Match sounds like a great idea! Lol)
View attachment 303634
Glad you like your SK. It looks like fun. Regarding DP Custom, don’t know who they are or how their guns hold up over time. No disrespect at all to them, I’m sure they do good work as you are obviously very happy with them.
I know HKs though, and have seen the abuse the HE finish can put up with and it is one of the best. Correct or not I consider the finish of a firearm to be like a paint job on a car. There are lots of great paint shops out there, but nothing beats factory. The money GM puts in a paint booth isn’t being matched in a custom shop. Also, many finishes alter tolerances which I would not want. I wouldn’t be quick to say that based on a vendor telling me that the finish they sell is slightly better than a known stand out factory finish....that it is. And I would not accept that statement without seeing comparisons. There are reported cases on this forum of SEALS who stated that the HKs stood up to salt water immersion better than any other handgun they were using. The HE finish has passed stout military testing that DP Custom has not. I would need to see comparative data before I believed it performed as he said “slightly better”. I also don’t know how they would do it at that price point. I also have not seen the black finish come off easily at all.
none of this is meant to be disrespectful or take away from the fun gun you have. Just explaining my thoughts on finishes. Enjoy your OR SK. Like to see HK come out w a factory one.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Glad you like your SK. It looks like fun. Regarding DP Custom, don’t know who they are or how their guns hold up over time. No disrespect at all to them, I’m sure they do good work as you are obviously very happy with them.
I know HKs though, and have seen the abuse the HE finish can put up with and it is one of the best. Correct or not I consider the finish of a firearm to be like a paint job on a car. There are lots of great paint shops out there, but nothing beats factory. The money GM puts in a paint booth isn’t being matched in a custom shop. Also, many finishes alter tolerances which I would not want. I wouldn’t be quick to say that based on a vendor telling me that the finish they sell is slightly better than a known stand out factory finish....that it is. And I would not accept that statement without seeing comparisons. There are reported cases on this forum of SEALS who stated that the HKs stood up to salt water immersion better than any other handgun they were using. The HE finish has passed stout military testing that DP Custom has not. I would need to see comparative data before I believed it performed as he said “slightly better”. I also don’t know how they would do it at that price point. I also have not seen the black finish come off easily at all.
none of this is meant to be disrespectful or take away from the fun gun you have. Just explaining my thoughts on finishes. Enjoy your OR SK. Like to see HK come out w a factory one.
I think they posted something about an OR VP9SK but it was taken down or something so hopefully we’ll get an OR SK. Melonite is one of the absolute best treatments there is for guns. It’s very proven. Glocks Tennifer finish is the same thing and I believe HK HE is just they’re name for it. It’s all durable as hell. HK I believe coats/treats their internals as well which is why it does so well for SEALs and salt water. I don’t think his claim of being better is necessarily true but I believe it’s pretty much the same. My HKs have held up amazingly. The outer black coating wears off from holster wear but that’s just cosmetic. The good stuff that matters is underneath and isn’t a coating, but treated metal that isn’t supposed to change tolerances. My old M&P9 and G19s slide held up just as good as my HKs honestly and I’ve not heard of any durability or rust issues about them (minus early M&Ps that weren’t treated properly). I may be wrong and hopefully someone else will chime in and correct me if I am. I did get all this info from the interweb after all so who knows 😂

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Not cheap either but you could just get a VP9 OR slide and train with it for a while. I got a 2020 VP9 and worked a lot on that one picking up the dot- and some other pistols- and am now a dot convert and recently had my original VP9 milled, and my VP9SK earlier this year. That said, if you're on the fence, it's one way to try it out and see if you like it. It does take a lot of reps to get there but you likely have a lot of reps with iron sights so keep that in mind. Like I said, not cheap, but less commitment.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think they posted something about an OR VP9SK but it was taken down or something so hopefully we’ll get an OR SK. Melonite is one of the absolute best treatments there is for guns. It’s very proven. Glocks Tennifer finish is the same thing and I believe HK HE is just they’re name for it. It’s all durable as hell. HK I believe coats/treats their internals as well which is why it does so well for SEALs and salt water. I don’t think his claim of being better is necessarily true but I believe it’s pretty much the same. My HKs have held up amazingly. The outer black coating wears off from holster wear but that’s just cosmetic. The good stuff that matters is underneath and isn’t a coating, but treated metal that isn’t supposed to change tolerances. My old M&P9 and G19s slide held up just as good as my HKs honestly and I’ve not heard of any durability or rust issues about them (minus early M&Ps that weren’t treated properly). I may be wrong and hopefully someone else will chime in and correct me if I am. I did get all this info from the interweb after all so who knows 😂
Agree. The treated steel is the most important part of this. I also don’t disagree that for CC it may well hold up pretty much the same. CC isn’t the equivalent of out of the surf and over the beach testing nor does it need to be. It should keep the rust off. I only question that it it somehow better (even a little bit) without anything to support the claim.
The finishes on HK, Sig (on top of Stainless no less), Beretta, Glock, and Smith and Wesson M&P’s should stand up to all but ridiculous levels of abuse/neglect. CZ’s may be good too just haven’t seen enough of them abused/neglected to have an opinion.
One thing to remember. It’s not just the coating, it’s the application. Ok two things to remember...the companies I mentioned are trying to get (or were trying to get) multi-million dollar contracts with their guns where they know salt water spray and other horrific things are going to be done to their submissions. Currently, they aren’t going to blow it going with a sub par finish. If the gun’s finish passed military testing (US/European whatever) and real world usage (mainly thinking about German and US Navies here) I think you can be assured it will stand up to IWB or however one carries it.
Still the shops that offer finishes in different colors or as here offer a great finish if you like modifications like optic cuts etc. It’s s all good! 👍

·
Registered
201 Posts
And another thing.....whenever you get around to it I would really like to read your review on how you like the VP9 SK OR. Talking about finishes is fun but love to hear how the thing shoots! ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
And another thing.....whenever you get around to it I would really like to read your review on how you like the VP9 SK OR. Talking about finishes is fun but love to hear how the thing shoots! ;)
It’s still very new to me. I’m absolutely loving it so far but still need to shoot it more. My first range trip was an eye opener to how much a red dot can improve your accuracy. Finding the dot at first can be a little awkward but once I find it it’s so much easier to get accurate hits and follow up shots are quicker as well. I was able to make easy hits on a coyote size target out to about a 100yds consistently! I really need a holster for it so I can practice finding the dot from a draw though. Oh and irons that co-witness.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Before doing anything permanent, check your local range for rental guns similar to your SD guns and try them out.

I had the slide on my VP9 cut for a Holosun green dot and am not one bit sorry, but it's a steep learning curve to acquire the dot quickly every time, so be aware. A rental will show you what it's like but it takes a lot of dry fire practice and at least a few boxes of ammo to become proficient.

-------------------
The VP9 s the left handers friend!
I'm planning on (when I have the money) installing a Holosun also.
2 questions.
1. Which model sight did you pick and why?
2. What have you done or planning to do about co witness with the iron sights ?

My go to range does not have red dots for rentals.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It’s still very new to me. I’m absolutely loving it so far but still need to shoot it more. My first range trip was an eye opener to how much a red dot can improve your accuracy. Finding the dot at first can be a little awkward but once I find it it’s so much easier to get accurate hits and follow up shots are quicker as well. I was able to make easy hits on a coyote size target out to about a 100yds consistently! I really need a holster for it so I can practice finding the dot from a draw though. Oh and irons that co-witness.
Cool. There is an adjustment curve (speed picking up the dot) but once you commit to get through it there are dividends to be had!
glad you like the VP9 SK. Definitely one of my favorite sub-compacts. They shoot great. And like you I’m waiting for more holster options...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Definitely try a red dot pistol before cutting your HK.

For ccw I don't think they're the game changer everyone claims. Takes a lot of practice to find the dot quickly, and weekly practice to maintain. Red dot pistols shine beyond 15yds, under that distance they're same as irons or slower. Most ccw shootings are less than 15yds.
You're adding bulk, weight, and electronics that can fail to your life saving tool.

For LE/Mil it makes sense, for civilian ccw not so much. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The VP9 s the left handers friend!
I'm planning on (when I have the money) installing a Holosun also.
2 questions.
1. Which model sight did you pick and why?
2. What have you done or planning to do about co witness with the iron sights ?

My go to range does not have red dots for rentals.
Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you. I have the HE507C-GR X2. Had the first HE507C-GR but the brightness adjustment stopped adjusting, so sent it back and they sent me a new one with the side-loading battery tray rather than having to remove the sight to replace said battery.

I had already added Truglo sights the year before so I decided to wait to see if I wanted to make another investment into iron sights.

I don't.

This may be blasphemy to the diehards, but I haven't used or needed irons since going with the optic. I can still see the irons (barely) but these old eyes could barely see them anyway.

I like sitting with both eyes open.

PS: I'm right handed, left eyed, so I just learned to bring the gun up in front of my left eye to see the dot, not in front of my nose.

-------------------

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I got my SK back from DP Custom the other day. The melonite looks great. The pistol with the Holosun 507k shoots great. I'm 100% happy with the work DP Custom did. Thanks to all that recommended them.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun

1 - 20 of 21 Posts