HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a nice KF USP 45 Yesterday. It's in excellent condition overall, the barrel hood has a mirror finish - so I assume it's only been appreciated by the previous owner. Picked it up for 400 bucks.. What would you do with it? Add a threaded barrel? New sights? It does have night sights but they are fairly dim. Add a match weight?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Match trigger install would be first on my list. Nobody should pass on a $400 HK in my opinion - nice pickup!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would upgrade the Night Sights, take it to the range and run some different ammo through it to see what it likes. After that get a good holster for it so you can carry it for protection.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I seem to like the triggers on my other USP's, but I've never had one this old. Haven't actually shot it yet but it doesn't feel any different. I'm guessing the Match trigger is still a big improvement since everyone is recommending it.
I saw Midwest gun works has the threaded barrel on sale for $159. Has anyone seen them for less?
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/217702

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I first started getting into HKs I do remember reading some reviewers complaining that their factory triggers were lacking, I guess. Maybe I just don't know what good is. Might have to give it a try since everyone is recommending it.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I seem to like the triggers on my other USP's, but I've never had one this old. Haven't actually shot it yet but it doesn't feel any different. I'm guessing the Match trigger is still a big improvement since everyone is recommending it.
I saw Midwest gun works has the threaded barrel on sale for $159. Has anyone seen them for less?
Heckler and Koch USP45 Tactical Threaded Barrel, 5.07"

$159 is the lowest price around. (unless Rodney still has one stashed away for $139 :wink:)

I wouldn't hesitate to add that upgrade too.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
When I first started getting into HKs I do remember reading some reviewers complaining that their factory triggers were lacking, I guess. Maybe I just don't know what good is. Might have to give it a try since everyone is recommending it.

Don't overpay for the match trigger from the usual suspects.

HK USP Match Trigger Kit for sale! - EuroOptic.com

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Congrats! A $400 USP is always a must buy IMO. For upgrades, the LEM trigger is great unless you are stuck on DA/SA. If you are stuck, then the match trigger is a great thing to add. If you go LEM and want the over travel screw then add the match trigger to the install for match/lem and add the nickel sear spring while installing the LEM kit.
I have not updated any of my pre-2005 USPs to the new firing pins. I do not see the need, following my conversation with HK. I seriously doubt that I ever see any issue requiring me to repair or replace those parts.
Threaded barrel if you like a longer barrel or add a Tactical RSA and the threaded barrel if you want to fire suppressed.
New mag springs perhaps. New TRS if it is sticky.
Many rounds and much range time...
That's my best prescription for your ailment.

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
I want to stress very strongly again, replacing the firing pin/associated guts. Lots of people are skipping that pushing the match trigger. Which I also recommend, but the firing pin is cheap insurance.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
I know they said it already....but I'm gonna say it again! Match LEM hybrid trigger, night sights of your preference, and threaded barrel in that order. You will have one sick usp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
838 Posts

You have to be careful reading internet opinions on triggers. It's always such a subjective thing and has a lot to do with someone's own personal experience. For example, I've found a lot of striker fanatics can't get over any DA pull and almost universally describe them as horrendously long and heavy and bad. If you like it and can shoot it well, that's what matters. (My own opinion, worth as little as anyone else's, is that the standard USP trigger isn't the best DA/SA ever made, but it's easily "average." A broken-in non-tactical match trigger, though, is quite excellent.)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Getting ready to make my first range trip with her. Along with my CZ. Just have 150 rounds to run through her right now, but maybe it will help me decide which way to go first.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well after the range trip I decide to first order the updated firing pin (I do dry fire from time to time and I think I remember reading that's where the problem lies with the old style), and a fiber optic front sight/ all black rear (like the custom combats) this week.. Then maybe the threaded barrel next because it seems to be selling for a hell of a price right now. I think I'll eventually get the match trigger, but I'm pretty content with the factory trigger. I will give the match trigger a try, but I think it will be last.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Congrats on a great deal! It looks like the previous owner to great care of it! I got a used on similar to yours years ago for a nice price.
I wasnt happy with the polished barrel hood so had Tripp Hard Chrome the Slide, Barrel, & Slide Release. Put Meprolight night sights on it and DecalGrip.

The SA Tigger breaks super clean at 4.4 lbs, so Im leaving it as is. This USP .45 shoots extremely well, I dont dry fire, but may send it back to HK for the Firing Pin upgrade some time just because.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts