HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while I've been reading of converting a HK USP in .40 to a 10MM and somewhere I read one of the problems were the rails in the frames of the USPs' were made of aluminum. Mine don't seem to be and appears to be steel. Does anyone know different?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
While I don't know the exact metallurgical makeup of the block, it damned sure is not aluminum. As good as HK is even they cannot make aluminum magnetic. While the steel is not strongly magnetic, my magnets are attracted to them.
This sounds like some more Glock-Talk drivel by someone who cannot stand that their chosen pistol, as good as it is, has competition and if they cannot win with facts, they make up and spread BS like a Lower Alabama farmer.

And you know, even if they were made of some kind of aluminum alloy and my magnets were attracting to something else (which I doubt), so what? Have you or anyone else ever heard of the block failing in any way? I haven't. So if HK has made the block out of some kind of aluminum alloy that can do the job as well as they do, reduce the weight, and still outlive a pistol whose life is in excess of 100,000 rounds then bravo for them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quite likely the metal of the rails is the same as what the slide is made of. If it were any other, softer metal it would grind down quickly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think you can be assured, GARY1911A1, that whatever metal they use in their rails has be tested thoroughly by the H&K engineers...

IMO and experience, H&K doesn't skimp on materials and testing said materials, and that's one reason that they cost what they do. Price points aren't established just based on the name brand, but on all costs to produce the weapon with a large part with R&D...

I trust H&K products more than most other manufacturers out there; that might make me naive, but after owning their products since the late 1960's, I see the quality of their products in longevity of use. I expect them to always work, regardless of the environment. I've said this many times before and I'm certain some members here and at other forums are getting sick of it: "If the world was reduced to Armageddon with no spare parts available, the rifle I would carry would be my HK91 (G3) and my handgun would be a form of an H&K .45ACP; they don't break. But since we are in a world of spare parts, I carry a Colt Government and my rifle is whatever feels good for the day"...good luck

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys! I didn't think that was true, but I thought I would check. If Gray Guns does decide to do the conversion of USP .40 Experts or Elites to 10MM I will have to look at buying one to convert. I just have a regular US in .40 now. I this Gray Guns wants a little more mass in the slide for a 10MM conversion.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
The Armorers manual says that the inserts are steel.

The slide rails are all one piece, including the metal plate which the serial number is stamped. This can be tested with a continuity tester.

Miku

·
Registered
84 Posts
Gray Guns can do a 9mm Expert conversion to 9X23 using STI mags. If they can also do a 40 Expert to 10mm, then I am in.

·
Registered
149 Posts
...The slide rails are all one piece, including the metal plate which the serial number is stamped. ...Miku

I've always wondered about that? Are the two front rails one piece?

I would love to see a picture of the slide rails outside of the frame,
before the molding process.

Could your continuity tester be affected by the metal in the frame?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I monitor GT daily and I'm pretty sure it didn't come from over there. Most of the Glocksters I know enjoy H&Ks; like me.

I admit, the H&K and Glock frame rails don't look as robust as the XD, the SigPros, etc.....however, whatever material they're using works great. I have never heard of an H&K or Glocks frame rail wear out due to use. It's a very durable and tough material whatever it is.

While I don't know the exact metallurgical makeup of the block, it damned sure is not aluminum. As good as HK is even they cannot make aluminum magnetic. While the steel is not strongly magnetic, my magnets are attracted to them.

This sounds like some more Glock-Talk drivel by someone who cannot stand that their chosen pistol, as good as it is, has competition and if they cannot win with facts, they make up and spread BS like a Lower Alabama farmer.

And you know, even if they were made of some kind of aluminum alloy and my magnets were attracting to something else (which I doubt), so what? Have you or anyone else ever heard of the block failing in any way? I haven't. So if HK has made the block out of some kind of aluminum alloy that can do the job as well as they do, reduce the weight, and still outlive a pistol whose life is in excess of 100,000 rounds then bravo for them.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts

I would love to see a picture of the slide rails outside of the frame,
before the molding process.

Could your continuity tester be affected by the metal in the frame?
The front rails are made of the same piece along with the serial number plate and the small metal insert visible inside at the very end of the frame.
The rear rails are one piece together but not with the front rails.

I´m not certain that I know what you mean by if "the tester could be affected by the metal in the frame"??
I can measure the continuity of the metal pieces to confirm they are one piece, is that what you meant? Sorry for this, I´m just a Finn ;) ...

·
Registered
149 Posts
...I can measure the continuity of the metal pieces to confirm they are one piece, is that what you meant? ...

That's what I meant. Thanks, you answered my question.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gray Guns can do a 9mm Expert conversion to 9X23 using STI mags. If they can also do a 40 Expert to 10mm, then I am in.
You can read about it on the Sigforum.com where there is a long 16 page posting of making a Sig220ST into a 10MM. Bruce in this post talks of looking into an HK conversion next. Others have also used STI Mags in .40 for their 10MM conversions. I Emailed Bill Jarvis about making a 10MM barrel for the USP .40, but he didn't feel his .40 had enough steel for the chamber to be reamed out longer. Maybe Gray Guns can get Bar-Sto to made a barrel for an HK like they are doing for Grey Gun's 10MM Sig. We can hope.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The front rails are one piece with the plate for the serial# and the inside rails for the recoil spring guide rod.
The rear rails are two separate metal inserts.
All three parts are made of stainless steel.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
You can read about it on the Sigforum.com where there is a long 16 page posting of making a Sig220ST into a 10MM. Bruce in this post talks of looking into an HK conversion next. Others have also used STI Mags in .40 for their 10MM conversions. I Emailed Bill Jarvis about making a 10MM barrel for the USP .40, but he didn't feel his .40 had enough steel for the chamber to be reamed out longer. Maybe Gray Guns can get Bar-Sto to made a barrel for an HK like they are doing for Grey Gun's 10MM Sig. We can hope.
How long ago did you e-mail Jarvis? I no longer have the e-mail but I e-mailed him about 6 to 9 months ago about a 10mm barrel for the USP and he said no problem.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How long ago did you e-mail Jarvis? I no longer have the e-mail but I e-mailed him about 6 to 9 months ago about a 10mm barrel for the USP and he said no problem.
I don't recall when I Emailed Jarvis. It's been about a year plus and shortly after Big Chris posted on his 10MM conversion. He Emailed me back there wasn't enough metal for the conversion then. Maybe he's working with Gray Guns on this?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts