HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang: I have a Leupold Mk 4 LR/T 3.5-9X40 that I want to mount on my SR9. I know that the SR9 is the "civilian-legal" HK91. So I am guessing that I could get a mount that would secure to the HK91? Any suggestions? I want to keep the rifle as close as possible to it's German lineage as possible! I know, I know, the Leupold is made in the USA. I just don't have $2,500 additional dollars for a Schmidt & Bender!

Cheers

·
2,832 Posts
I like the HK claw mount with 30mm built in rings, $200-300, should come with 1" inserts. Take it off.....back on.....its still zero'd.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Claw Mount

Thanks Landpimp, where do you suggest I go so I don't get ripped off? By the way, beautiful rifles. Mt SR9 will look like those soon enough!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Beware of making your SR9 into a PSG1 look a like - without the right parts count you will run afoul of 18 USC 922(r) - the parts count rule. I recently altered a SR9 and needed to buy a bunch of USA made parts from PTR. Nobody will probably ever care but the ATF might and I wouldn't want to go to prison.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Beware of making your SR9 into a PSG1 look a like - without the right parts count you will run afoul of 18 USC 922(r) - the parts count rule. I recently altered a SR9 and needed to buy a bunch of USA made parts from PTR. Nobody will probably ever care but the ATF might and I wouldn't want to go to prison.
Oh what a difference a sloppily hand-stamped "T" makes on the side of the magwell...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tactical Shooter Thanks for the heads up. Point well taken. I would never jeapordize our 2nd amendment right and become a statistic. I realized that it would cost me just as much as I paid for the rifle if I made such drastic changes. I am really not too crazy with the feel of the SR9 stock and pistol grip. I am going to replace the grip and buttstock. Any ideas of where to acquire a MSG90 buttstock and a new pistol grip?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
^^^ I went 10X........kinda wish I went with a larger magnification. I can really tell the difference between my 12X and 10X.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for input. I am getting some great feedback with this thread. I do have a question for you, a few actually. Firstly, I see you have an SR9 also, how do you like how she fires? Secondly, where did you get your buttstock and walnut pistol grip? Is the trigger group SR9 or PSG-1? I want to dress my SR9 the same way you have yours, they really look sinister!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Mine is an SR9TC which means it came with the PSG-1 trigger group & walnut grip in addition to the PSG-1 stock. The SR9T is the same as the SR9TC, except with a MSG90 stock.

The gun is better than I can shoot it, I've been trying to get it dialed in. I think I'm close after Labor Day weekend (was shooting pretty badly that day).

The PSG-1 trigger groups are available, but you might want to look into a trigger job from Bill Springfield or Williams (if you want to tighten up the groups). As far as the grips, you could try one from Falcon (it's the black plastic PSG-1 look alike that you around, but it's quality is definitely not the same as that of the HK original.........then again it's much cheaper).

·
2,832 Posts
no clue....it came that way when I bought it, gun was never fired......why someone stuck it on there I will never know, I;d like to take it off, I think its just press fit...I tried to tap it off with a brass rod.....no luck(but i was easy on it).

BTW, mine is a T, but "supposedly" it came from HK with the PSG1 stock.

the T and TC both have PSG1 packs..which are the newer style(notch on both sides) as used in the MSG90(so it will take the ambi selector, if you change lowers)

Nice setups, LP and GZire!

LP, what type of flash hider is that on the upper piece?

·
2,832 Posts
BTW, Gordon Miller had or has some S&B 1.5x6 scopes in the 30mm claw mount with the BDC dials, I want to say they were running $800-ish, should be a nice optic to the 91

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Mine is an SR9TC which means it came with the PSG-1 trigger group & walnut grip in addition to the PSG-1 stock. The SR9T is the same as the SR9TC, except with a MSG90 stock.

The gun is better than I can shoot it, I've been trying to get it dialed in. I think I'm close after Labor Day weekend (was shooting pretty badly that day).

The PSG-1 trigger groups are available, but you might want to look into a trigger job from Bill Springfield or Williams (if you want to tighten up the groups). As far as the grips, you could try one from Falcon (it's the black plastic PSG-1 look alike that you around, but it's quality is definitely not the same as that of the HK original.........then again it's much cheaper).
A few things I've learned about my SR9T -
1. A gusty day makes your groups SUCK.
2. Ammo selection has a bigger effect than you might think.

The first time I shot mine, it was really windy, gusts to 20 mph. And it was with the cheapest .308 ammo at the store. I knew the wind would have a big affect, but I was disappointed with the ~5 MOA @ 100 yard groups I was getting.

Next time out, it was a little breezy, not nearly as bad, and I was shooting Winchester silvertip ammo - and was pretty pleased with my 1.5" or so groups.

The next time, I had some Remington ammo I think it was, but with Sierra Match King bullets. Some groups were right at 1", some a tiny bit over. One of these days I'm going to try some Black Hills stuff, but nobody around me stocks it, not even Outdoor World ("No, everything we have is only hunting grade, no match ammo.") :(

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Gang: I have a Leupold Mk 4 LR/T 3.5-9X40 that I want to mount on my SR9. I know that the SR9 is the "civilian-legal" HK91. So I am guessing that I could get a mount that would secure to the HK91? Any suggestions? I want to keep the rifle as close as possible to it's German lineage as possible! I know, I know, the Leupold is made in the USA. I just don't have $2,500 additional dollars for a Schmidt & Bender!

Cheers
This B&T mount, while not cheap, might be worth looking into. The claw mount
sits up way too high for my tastes.

http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BT21174

flaboy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
This B&T mount, while not cheap, might be worth looking into. The claw mount
sits up way too high for my tastes.

http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BT21174

flaboy
But do you have an MSG90 or PSG1 stock? The adjustable cheek-piece on them is so high that in the case of an SR9T/TC, the iron sights are useless. That B&T mount might be ok on a 91 stock, but I suspect it may be too low for an MSG or PSG stock.

Also, any idea how large a scope objective will fit on that? I might look at one for a shooter 91 I have.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
^^^I tried the MFI mounts on my 91. No worky.

I have medium height rings. I would think you need the highest height rings you can get in order to make a 30mm scope clear the rear sight. Something to think about.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts