HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
USP full size in .40 or a Pre Ban Colt Sporter?
I live in mASS and have a very limited choice on firearms due to state law restrictions on both handguns and rifles. After doing some poking around at a gun show I found a few hard to get toys there. Why the question you ask. The statements below will tell you why I am torn.

We still have a rifle AWB so the only rifles we can buy with any type of flash suppressor, bayo, etc. has to be Pre Ban.
We also have a state law that limits almost any type of new production pistol. One in particular is any new HK pistol. When you can find one they have to have been registered in state before 1998.

Now that all that has been said, "what would you do"?

Would you buy a tough to find HK USP full size .40 cal pistol (95%) for $1078 or would you buy a tough to find Pre -Ban (Big hole) Colt Sporter (98%) for $1200?
Please don't flame me for posting this on HK PRO I am just looking for honest answers.:)

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
I personally don't care for the .40 lots do but it's not for me. Therefore, I would have to say I would get the AR.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Pre Ban Colt Sporter

·
Registered
28 Posts
HOLY CRAP!!

A preban large hole sporter for $1200??

We need to talk!!!! Email me- I'll make you a deal you can't refuse!!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A full size USP 40 for over 1k?!?! Man, I thought the prices in NYC were insane.
We are screwed due to the laws!
USED USP full size will run you $750 to $1100. USP compacts $800- $1400. I recently picked up a P7 PSP for $1100. I just saw a P7M8 for $1680 and it was only about 85-90%!!!
We have a list for handguns to be aproved for sale on and the P2000 and the SK in .357 is on it. It has not been formally accepted as of yet(each caliber or finish must be listed seperately). Well a dealer was selling a P2000 or a P2000SK in .40 for $950. As the law reads it is not leagal to own it. Plus it costs $250 more than the rest of the country is selling them for.

·
Registered
887 Posts
You gotta be kidding! I think I'd be relocating to a state that is gun owner friendly, or at least ambivalent about it. You guys are getting hosed. For that kind of money go with the Colt.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
You need to get friendly with someone who has a FFL and buy from the internet.

Get the FFL dealer to let you do the transfer for some where in the neighborhood of $20-50 and you would still be ahead of your local prices.

Just my opion. TJ

·
Super Moderator
2,830 Posts
I don't think that would help, he is (I think) stuck with whats in state already for the most part.

You need to get friendly with someone who has a FFL and buy from the internet.

Get the FFL dealer to let you do the transfer for some where in the neighborhood of $20-50 and you would still be ahead of your local prices.

Just my opion. TJ

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't think that would help, he is (I think) stuck with whats in state already for the most part.
that's what i got too. has to be registered by 98?

agree with the other guy who said move. nothing is worth that kind of frustration to me. NY is just on the edge of my limits right now and will probably push me over. I'm thankful I dont have that problem.

this decision would depend on the other guns you have. leaning towards the rifle though...

·
Registered
14 Posts
First thought would be to move to the United States of America.

Am I understanding your law to mean it had to have been in MASS before the '98 date and registered? Can you buy a pre 98 gun from out of state now?

If your only choice is "in-state-registered-pre 98" guns and you have no way of knowing how many of each are "legallly available" then it's gotta be your favorite. For me it would be the Colt.

Bob D

·
Registered
173 Posts
if moveing is not in the cards for you i'd go with the colt. it's price is much more sane!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With everything that has been explained to be you are right, I am stuck with what is here. However I have spoken to many that have obtained out of state Pre Bans.

The law is gray pertaining to Pre Ban rifles. I have had multiple discussions with several dealers and most say no. However if you reference this thread in the mASS http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63168 section there is a member that say he is told no problem for an out of state pre ban transfer. Our laws are so vague that not many want to chance a law violation. I am not looking to argue with anyone on this but I go by the information the several dealers I do business with tell me. It is tough enough to get a LTC in this state and I am not going to give up my hobby, sport and passion for one bad transfer.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
I am sorry to say this, but it sucks to live where yoiu do!!! I know this won't help, but you need to get out of mASS as fast as possible. Unless your job, or family just makes you stay.

Isn't mAss one of theoes eastern states that you can drive through in about 20-30 minutes? I would also make my local state legestiure person on a first name basis with me.... As I complane about all the stupid gun laws!! Is crime really on the drop in any of the suburan areas??

Also it sounds like there needs to be some clarifaction to the laws.
See if you can get some of the others up in arms!!! Let the elected state officals know your feed up with this crap!! Also don't count on the dealers to help your cause. Most of them are happy with the large mark up they get per item.

Good Luck!! TJ

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have to say my vote would lean toward getting the AR this coming from a handgun guy, just because if you're in a restricted area like CA is, that's more of a high value item to me anyway. I thought CA was bad... We have the list of approved firearms, and every year it seems they add another layer to make things harder to buy firearms. The price on the HK seems high, but if all that can be sold in-state has to be there already then the supply is available limited and a higher price tag can be had. Are you sure that applies to all handguns, or just the high-cap mags. I know CA enacted their own ban of high-caps and even though the Clinton AWB expired in 2004, ours did not and we're one of 5 states who still disallow anything over 10rds for rifles or handguns.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Here is the link for the mASS Atorney Generals office.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=cagoterminal&L=3&L0=Home&L1=Government&L2=AG's+Regulations&sid=Cago&b=terminalcontent&f=government_Regulations_940CMR16&csid=Cago

Our Handgun laws were passed under the guise of consumer protection via the AG's office. This circumvented the normal legislative process. Our hands are tied. We have Uncle Ted and Kerry so as far as getting our Senators and legislators to repeal any laws it is not likely. We do have a strong advocacy group that is our local NRA. They enlighten us as to who to contact and what laws are being cooked up, and what to do about them
As far as pulling pole and moving out.......family business and semi free childcare(grandparents) So unless I move both sets of parents and the family business I am stuck here.
Here is a cut and paste on the AWB law here.

§ 131M. Assault weapon or large capacity feeding device not lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994; sale, transfer or possession; punishment

No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (i) the possession by a law enforcement officer for purposes of law enforcement; or (ii) the possession by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving such a weapon or feeding device from such agency upon retirement.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts