HKPRO Forums banner

All things being equal, what would you pay more for?

• A used HK with a noticeable chip on the top of the slide

Votes: 32 42.7%
  • A used HK with a refinished slide (to fix the chip)

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • A used HK with a new slide sans serial number

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I never buy used HK's

Votes: 12 16.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I think I would rather have a scratched up factory shooter (with some character) than a "see, it looks new!" version.

Price factors in, a refinish or scratched should be pretty cheap, compared to new, and a non-matching part should also be discounted, or better yet, include the original part if possible.

I could see some benefit if the gun is discounted and the refinish would be costly to do, like when CDNN was blowing out trade in refinished p7s a few years back.

Shockwave

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I'd buy the chipped slide HK... but for an amount around $700 if all the goodies came with. :biggrin: No joke!

But if HK wanted to replace the warranty arm with a ghost frame and ghost slide... perhaps I'd be happier than the original. Kinda Gangsta ghost, ya know?

Considering that I have only heard about the chipping on the MK23s. I wonder why HK can't come out with a better finish on them. Its not like they are supplying them for SOCOM and even if they were, then supply those with the maritime faulty finishes that chip. Why come out with a new faulty finish?
Just finish them like they do USPs for the rest of us and this becomes an instant non-issue, IMO.
It surprises me that the top of the line polymer HK has the worst finish, far beneath that of even their lowest cost VPs.
Great arm, the MK23, just the worst finish issues ever.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm having a hard time with this one. It really depends on the gun. Is this a new P30 with a finish applied by a decent firm, or a P9s with everything else original but the chip. As with everything, the devil's in the details.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I typically buy used. Scratches and finish wear are fine buy me as long as the price reflects the condition. Picked up a two tone USP 45 with 3 mags for under $400 because it rode in a police holster and got finish wear. Still works like an HK. I'll take that any day over a shiny new but expansive firearm. Similarly two years ago I picked up a W. German P220 45 for $350 because once again it had major holster wear from being a police issued gun.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
I voted for a refinished slide. I wouldn't mind it being refinished as long as it was professionally done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Refinishing, historically, rarely helps resale value. There are, however, other values to consider, as we all know. Strictly monetarily speaking, though, the chipped finish usually commands a higher price, in my experience.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There was a post I on another forum this morning regarding buyer/seller honesty and integrity where I had similar input:

In general, I base my purchases and sales in the present condition of an item rather than (often fantastical) stories of damage, repairs, and history. As such, I'd pay more or at least be more comfortable buying at all a gun with visible blemishes than one that has been refinished. Reason being: I can see the blemishes. If I can't see the blemishes and know it is or was blemished, I don't know how bad it was, if it may degrade more quickly because of it, or if it was in fact damage rather than cosmetic. Depends on the price difference too though. I'd put the replacement parts gun in line with refinishing: the seller may claim "only X was damaged so I replaced X" but who made that determination and what qualifications do they have? what else may have gone wrong? Is their story even vaguely true? Hope for the best but plan for the worst. Cynical is not the worst I've been called.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've always been reluctant to purchase used handguns unless I know the owner. The primary reason for this is I can't be 100% certain that it's stock. I don't want some else's project gun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts