HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the function? to allow full-auto?

they look fairly simple, whats stopping someone from simply making one?

why are they so expensive? ive seen some for $10-12K

whats the deal?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ones for that price are registered as a full auto part they are rare that is why the high price. If you had one you could have a legal full auto rifle.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts

whats the deal?
The only thing that stops anyone is the threat of I think 10 years in prison and $250,000 fine for possession of unregistered machine guns.

What makes them so expensive is the piece of paper that is proof they are legally registered with the BATFE.

The reason this sheet of paper is so expensive is that in 1986, it was made illegal to make any more of the little pieces of metal, so the only ones that can be transferred are the ones that were in existence in 1986.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Why the hell do people keep asking this? Please use the search function!

·
Banned
384 Posts
Maybe trying to generate the 30 needed posts to sell something? THink about it, if you ask a broad, conversation-invoking question, post replies a few times during the thread, even argue a little or make it seem that you are arguing, heck he could easily gain 5-7 posts from this one thread about something that you can learn an answer to in 5 minutes worth of searching (and Im not saying searching just this forum, hell wiki or google could probably handle this.)

If you dont think this happens, you apparently have never visited our friends over on ARFCOM.

--Or--

Quite simply he just wants to know, and this is the first way he came up with to satisfy his craving for knowledge.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts

whats the deal?
Wow.. Tough crowd!! :)

20 May 1986 was the start of the ban for the sale of newly made/registered sears to civilians. This means that those who could make the tiny pieces of metal did so and quickly registered them with the BATF before the ban.

We could all easily make a cast of an existing sear but it could not be registered with the BATF and this is the problem. Sears registered after the 1986 ban can only be sold to law enforcement and the military. So the regular Joe Blow citizen cannot register it so that means it cannot be legally installed in a weapon. Doing so will get you 10 years and a hefty fine!!

This is why they cost so much now for civilians to buy. Each year machine guns trade hands the price goes up a little.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Maybe trying to generate the 30 needed posts to sell something? THink about it, if you ask a broad, conversation-invoking question, post replies a few times during the thread, even argue a little or make it seem that you are arguing, heck he could easily gain 5-7 posts from this one thread about something that you can learn an answer to in 5 minutes worth of searching (and Im not saying searching just this forum, hell wiki or google could probably handle this.)

If you dont think this happens, you apparently have never visited our friends over on ARFCOM.

--Or--

Quite simply he just wants to know, and this is the first way he came up with to satisfy his craving for knowledge.
Well, if you put it that way.

I woke up on the wrong side of the bed it morning anyways.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,656 Posts
Just as an FYI... He did originally post it in the Rookie section. I moved it here because it was HK NFA stuff.

I agree that the search function should be used much more liberally by new posters. But it doesn't happen as much as we all would like it to. Top that off with the fact that many really don't know how to search all that well and...

So yes, it's a question that gets asked regularly... but...

·
Registered
35 Posts
So, is there any movement to make the production of sears legal again? I can think of people saying that fully auto weapons in the hands of "everyday" people would result in more crimes, but I'm not sure I would buy that argument (biased as I am towards less restrictive gun control). I guess I'll go google an article explaining why the government made the move they did.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow.. Tough crowd!! :)

20 May 1986 was the start of the ban for the sale of newly made/registered sears to civilians. This means that those who could make the tiny pieces of metal did so and quickly registered them with the BATF before the ban.

We could all easily make a cast of an existing sear but it could not be registered with the BATF and this is the problem. Sears registered after the 1986 ban can only be sold to law enforcement and the military. So the regular Joe Blow citizen cannot register it so that means it cannot be legally installed in a weapon. Doing so will get you 10 years and a hefty fine!!

This is why they cost so much now for civilians to buy. Each year machine guns trade hands the price goes up a little.
thanks for the response!

Just curious, do illegally made/unregistered sears surface alot?

BTW, i did do a search on sears but i didnt find anything that was as helpful as this response on why they are so friggin expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
thanks for the response!

BTW, i did do a search on sears but i didnt find anything that was as helpful as this response on why they are so friggin expensive.
This is a question I cannot answer... Those that know how to make them have to know they are making a full auto weapon and that it is illegal. So they are not going to tell people or try to sell them to others...

unless.... :)

A guy here in Virginia was arrested a week ago for making and selling 4 FA guns to.... an ATF agent!! Remember 10 years each...

·
Registered
7 Posts

--Or--

considering the poster had upwards of 100 posts, i guess the 30 doesnt fly...also if you think about it, if people did not ask questions whats the purpose of the forum....Now in my case I guess you could make that argument, but then again reponses like this one is what keeps "newbies" from making posts....

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
thanks for the response!

My guess is that there are practically zero illegally made sears. Why not? Because there's no reason to make a "registered sear" (actually called a "catch" in HK parts breakdowns, the sear is the part that pivots with the trigger, just FYI). The factory catches have different dimensions, and they are not controlled parts. They are perfectly legal to own in a perfectly functioning trigger pack - as long as you don't either modify the pack to fit a semi-auto rifle, or modify a semi-auto rifle to accept the factory pack.

So are there many illegally modified packs that fit onto semi-auto rifles? I'm guessing there are a bunch. People get arrested for them from time to time, so I'm sure there are lots of people that have them that just don't get caught. But the penalties are extremely stiff, not at all worth the risk for a little fun.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I assume your questions about unregisted sears are purely academic, but the risk you run for getting caught with an unregistered MG can never be over stated. If you need an MG, sell your car, mortgage your home, or sell a kidney, just don't try making one on your own. MG owners are already cast in a bad light, there's no sense in demonizing yourself with an illegal MG; look how well it worked out for the folks in Waco.

·
Registered
106 Posts
because there are only 7000 sears or so and several 100,000 guns to put them in by enough people that are willing to pay $12-$15K for a $5 part... basic supply and demand.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I assume your questions about unregisted sears are purely academic, but the risk you run for getting caught with an unregistered MG can never be over stated. If you need an MG, sell your car, mortgage your home, or sell a kidney, just don't try making one on your own. MG owners are already cast in a bad light, there's no sense in demonizing yourself with an illegal MG; look how well it worked out for the folks in Waco.
Thanks for the responses everybody!
yeah my questions are purely academic. i was just curious as to how prevalent people attempting to make them might be bc as i said before it seems that they could be easily made.

So unregistered sears was the reason that the ATF raided the Branch Davidians in Waco? I always wondered exactly what that was all about...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks for the responses everybody!
yeah my questions are purely academic. i was just curious as to how prevalent people attempting to make them might be bc as i said before it seems that they could be easily made.

So unregistered sears was the reason that the ATF raided the Branch Davidians in Waco? I always wondered exactly what that was all about...
I don't know what the entire "case" was against the Davidians, but I know that manufacturing illegal machine guns was part of it, and the case was based on firearms charges. That's why the seige was led by the ATF. I don't know if they had HK sears per se. Given their motives, I think that ARs and AK were probably their weapons of choice (but that's pure speculation).

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I don't know what the entire "case" was against the Davidians, but I know that manufacturing illegal machine guns was part of it, and the case was based on firearms charges. That's why the seige was led by the ATF. I don't know if they had HK sears per se. Given their motives, I think that ARs and AK were probably their weapons of choice (but that's pure speculation).
They had quite an amazing collection. Oddly, no 91s or 93s.
TOTAL WEAPONS RECOVERED(Including Weapons Mentioned on Previous Page)
FIREARMS Rifles and Rifle Components
61 M-16 Type and 2 M-16 Lower Receivers
61 AK-47 Type
34 AR-15 Type and 2 AR-15 Lower Receivers
13 Shotguns -- 12 gauge
11 7.62MM FN FAL Type
10 Mini-14 Type
7 37mm. Flare Gun/Launcher Type
6 .30 Carbine Calber US Carbine, Model M1
6 Assorted Rifles
5 M-11/Nine
5 M-14 Type
3 Galil
2 Heckler and Koch SP-89
1 Air Rifle
1 Heckler and Koch MP-5
1 Sten submachine gun

·
Registered
124 Posts
They had quite an amazing collection. Oddly, no 91s or 93s.
TOTAL WEAPONS RECOVERED(Including Weapons Mentioned on Previous Page)
FIREARMS Rifles and Rifle Components
61 M-16 Type and 2 M-16 Lower Receivers
61 AK-47 Type
34 AR-15 Type and 2 AR-15 Lower Receivers
13 Shotguns -- 12 gauge
11 7.62MM FN FAL Type
10 Mini-14 Type
7 37mm. Flare Gun/Launcher Type
6 .30 Carbine Calber US Carbine, Model M1
6 Assorted Rifles
5 M-11/Nine
5 M-14 Type