HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet, so what is an HK? Heckler and Koch! No... What I want to know is "What makes an HK, an HK?" Not the fact that is has the HK name. Not the fact that it has the stagg horn proof. Not the fact that it is what it is. The iconic MP5 A3 stock... pure HK. No other weapon is as easily identifiable. When you see the silhouette, you know what it is! Same way with a MK23. So parts or design make an HK what it is? One of the design features of their long guns and sub guns that says "Its an HK" is the roller delayed blowback. What about the 3 lug adapter on the MP5's? The PSG-1 grip? Let us know what you think HK's are KNOW for or are a MUST HAVE in the weapon. Imagine you are the new head designer and have to build a new or modify an existing design... what features would it need to have in order to be an HK authentic design?! I will say that there is a difference between handguns and long guns, so be specific! Have fun thinking about this and replying!

·
Registered
953 Posts
To my way of thinking, what makes an HK an HK is its no-compromise approach to engineering excellence. That has been manifested throughout the years in many forms...roller locks, fixed barrels with concentric recoil springs, polygonal rifling, the world's first polymer framed high-capacity pistol, and many others. Interesting and thought-provoking question!

Mark

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Only hand held tank that I know of, they are just robust guns that keep going. They are the the cross slap on a roller lock, they are LEM triggers on the pistols, they are the many trigger options available, they are guns that aren't comprimised for early release, when it comes out it's done right.

I would love to see a DRL gun with a bolt hold open device, and more ergo bolt release. I wouldn't know where to start as far as new designs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
A modular design allowing for the addition of collapsible/folding stocks, removable hand guards, additional bipods, adjustable fixed sights, and removable optic/mounts beginning in 1959. The very first rifles were sold in 4 different configurations. Nearly all modern firearms are now designed with reconfigurable modular designs. HK was way ahead of their time, pioneers really.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts