HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have had this HK P7 in hard chrome for a year or so. Recently decided to sell it, had a gun shop say that refinished P7's aren't worth anything and offered me $300 for it.

I did some digging and from the import markings (RTB CORP MIAMI FL with a KA date code) it seems like this might be a gun that was chromed in Germany and imported without a distributor account. How rare are these? What is the actual value of this thing? (I don't have original box, but I do believe I have the original magazine)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't know the actual value that the import mark imparts, but if it were just a P7 PSP in HC it'd be worth in the neighborhood of 750-900 in my neck of the woods. I mean depending on the overall condition of the innards and what have you. Selling guns toa gunshop is like asking someone to rip you off, they'd buy it for 300.00 turn around and put it on GB for 1000.00. Of course, you could jsut put it on GB for 1000.00 and cut out the middleman. You may or may not get the money you ask for it, but at least you're not selling yourself short in the process.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The LGS is all about making a profit. Nothing wrong with that. Most people walking into his store won't have this forum as a resource, and thusly won't know they practically gave it away. With only one mag and no box, an asking price of $650 would move it really fast - people like shiny things.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I don't mind an LGS making a profit but be honest about it. Saying that a P7 that's been refinished isn't worth anything is not only a bald-faced lie, but a quality job adds value.

BTW, thegeneric, I take it you're on Texas Gun Talk? This sounds like a pistol in an ad that the OP just recently suspended to do further research.

EDIT: N/m, I see that same Guardian .32 in your TGT ad. Welcome to HKPro, fellow Texan :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
...but a quality job adds value.
This is debatable. All of my HKs are factory original in every way, and the only way I would consider getting one that's refinished is if it was significantly discounted, and even then I'd still prefer a beat up factory finish to a pristine refinish. Case in point, there's been a pre-May MP5 listed on Sturm a couple times in the last several weeks. I get excited every time I see it, and then as soon as I reach the part of the ad that says it was recently refinished, I quit reading in disgust. It's all about preference.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Dude, I'm talking about a P7, not other firearms. There are a glut of P7s out there and quality refinishes are tangibly going for more. I'm not just speculating.

·
Registered
432 Posts
For $650.00 I might have an interest if its a quality job. Im never going to sell it anyway. PM me if you really want to sell. IUd like some good picx.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Dude, I'm talking about a P7, not other firearms. There are a glut of P7s out there and quality refinishes are tangibly going for more. I'm not just speculating.
I'm 100% in agreement with this. Based on what I've seen over the last few years, the P7 seems to be the most refinished handgun on the market and does very little in regards to hurting the resell value, and most likely adds value. Perhaps a commercial P7 or other M series variants would affect resell but not the common NDS marked P7's.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Um, are you sure about that? I own a few P7's (M8's and 13's) and am pretty informed on pricing of these things and I've never heard of a refinished one going for more. I'm not particularly acquainted with a German factory refinish (if there actually is such a thing), but I would not pay more, or ever as much as an unfinished model. Even one that was in less than pristine condition.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have an RTB import chrome P7M8 with the test target and box stamped Chrome. I don't have all the details but I believe they were chromed in Germany before they were imported by RTB in Miami who did not have a contract to import them and were shut down by HK. As for increased value I can't answer that but I will say value is ultimately based on scarcity and their aren't a whole lot of these running around.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Um, are you sure about that? I own a few P7's (M8's and 13's) and am pretty informed on pricing of these things and I've never heard of a refinished one going for more. I'm not particularly acquainted with a German factory refinish (if there actually is such a thing), but I would not pay more, or ever as much as an unfinished model. Even one that was in less than pristine condition.
Yes, I'm sure. I'd been tracking P7 sales (and I'm talking the NDS and commercial imports here) before I bought one and sellers generally ask for more for a refinished pistol and often get them. Even with the M8 and M13, if it's the factory nickel it goes for more although there are more than enough cases of an aftermarket refinished M8 and M13 getting better prices.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes, I'm sure. I'd been tracking P7 sales (and I'm talking the NDS and commercial imports here) before I bought one and sellers generally ask for more for a refinished pistol and often get them. Even with the M8 and M13, if it's the factory nickel it goes for more although there are more than enough cases of an aftermarket refinished M8 and M13 getting better prices.
I'm inclined to agree. If you check the gun auction sites right now you can expect to see about +100.00 for a good chrome or nickel job. For the hardcore collector, it might kill it for them. For people that just want to shoot and carry the gun it saves them time which is added value. I like the factory finish on my P7, but if it were going to be an EDC it'd be hard chromed in a second. so for the used market I'd say the quality finish adds value, maybe not more than LNIB w/ everything it came wiht and never been fired except at the factory. But used 50-90% finish is going to fetch less than the hard chrome.

·
Registered
11 Posts
rtb corp hard chromed P7m8

This thread started a long time ago and so I hope the original OP HUNG ON TO HIS CHROMED P7! I have had one for awhile that i obtained almost nib from a California hway patrolman. He gave me the story on this pistol. They are a hi quality hard chrome done in Germany before this company improperly imported to the USA. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, mine is that these pieces are much more desirable than any I have seen from the factory. For me, its a keeper and is the one in my little bedroom safe. I used to be a hobbyist FFL dealer. Had my own company and I saw to it that some of the company profit went to building a very special inventory that had nothing to do with computer parts,haha.
So, I can take my pick for what I want to defend myself, from my Sig 210 to one of the original first 500 run of the Colt Special combat carry or target and many others. Too many pistols, is poor for training, so One day reality decided for me.
I thought I heard a suspicious noise late one night and I decided to grab something to protect the family. At the time, I had a daughter in one bedroom, a young son in another. Yup, the piece I decided on was the P7-m8. Simply put, it was the safest weapon that I could carry, cocked and unlocked! Its accurate as hell, fits my hand and the finish is absolutely wonderful. Great looking and unlike all my blued beauties does not show one iota of handling marks from all the years I have shot or played with it. Oh, turned out to be just a noise, but I learned my lesson.

Ross

·
Registered
231 Posts
Welcome to the site.

You realize there are some P7 fanatics here, myself included .... :rolleyes:

I would love to see some close up pics of your chrome P7.

Are you the original owner ?

Your magazine should have the same year (KA) as the pistol stamped on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This thread started a long time ago and so I hope the original OP HUNG ON TO HIS CHROMED P7! I have had one for awhile that i obtained almost nib from a California hway patrolman. He gave me the story on this pistol. They are a hi quality hard chrome done in Germany before this company improperly imported to the USA. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, mine is that these pieces are much more desirable than any I have seen from the factory. For me, its a keeper and is the one in my little bedroom safe. I used to be a hobbyist FFL dealer. Had my own company and I saw to it that some of the company profit went to building a very special inventory that had nothing to do with computer parts,haha.
So, I can take my pick for what I want to defend myself, from my Sig 210 to one of the original first 500 run of the Colt Special combat carry or target and many others. Too many pistols, is poor for training, so One day reality decided for me.
I thought I heard a suspicious noise late one night and I decided to grab something to protect the family. At the time, I had a daughter in one bedroom, a young son in another. Yup, the piece I decided on was the P7-m8. Simply put, it was the safest weapon that I could carry, cocked and unlocked! Its accurate as hell, fits my hand and the finish is absolutely wonderful. Great looking and unlike all my blued beauties does not show one iota of handling marks from all the years I have shot or played with it. Oh, turned out to be just a noise, but I learned my lesson.

Ross
Thanks! I'll take some pics! As i said, i got it second hand from a hwy. patrol officer. It also has a little stiffer recoil spring for faster cycle.
The cop retired before really using it, his loss was my gain:) I have owned many P7's and other earlier HK long weapons. Sold them all when values skyrocketed under Clinton.

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
I'd say easily worth $800. I sold a Tripp hard chrome P7 a few years ago and have always regretted it. Keep it if you can.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Should have held onto them until you know who took office - talk about P7's appreciating!
I don't agree. I tripled my $$ on my hk91's, 93's, sp89's and bought other things that I still have that
fit more with what I wanted to collect and had room for in my safe. I still have many pieces I acquired from that sell off that give
me unending pleasure and have appreciated handsomely. Pieces I can sell or trade for whatever I might want. Plus of course, a little money I made! But tell the truth, none of the newer stuff really interests me. I don't need the latest sig, hk or Walther to defend myself, I'm not interested
in being a dealer anymore. I like to target shoot, especially with my p210-6 or my browning medallist or my
1885 single shot and I keep in practice with my self defense stuff which includes my p7m8. the m13 is just to fat
for my hands!
Thanks for the reply!
Ross

1 - 20 of 23 Posts