HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
+ 1
I just got an email today that Terry Dyer is close to having my SP89 done (mag flap release installed, remarked MP5K and re-finished), now if I could take a decent picture.

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
Whats the closest or the best clone to a German made MP5k?
Terry Dyer converted HK gun for sure. If you can't afford that, then next in line would likely be a custom build from the likes of Chopstix Kid or Ghilliebear on this forum. If that's still a bit more than your wallet can handle, then start thinking about a Special Weapons / Coharie Arms gun. I have a CA89k and it's fantastic. Took just a bit of tweaking (new bolt head, new ejector lever) and I have a beautiful MP5k look-alike gun that runs damn near flawlessly.

·
Vendor
8,218 Posts
Go have a look in the Dakota Tactical gallery section. Very detailed photos my D54KP-N builds. I believe I am still the only manufacturer that properly converts an LSC flat to K specs. I can also do SP89 conversions as well.

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
A converted SP89 would be the closest clone
A converted Sp-89 with a DLO registered trigger box would just about put you as close as you can get without getting a dealer sample gun.

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
+ 1
I just got an email today that Terry Dyer is close to having my SP89 done (mag flap release installed, remarked MP5K and re-finished), now if I could take a decent picture.
I thought we just had a major flap over the re-marking thing. Wasn't ATF standing against that as of not even a year ago? Did something change... again?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
IMHO remarking a HK94 of SP89 too MP5 or MP5K is like the people that rebadge their BMW's from 328i to 335i or M3 yet you can't hide the driver side mounter dual exhaust of the 328

Just like you can't get past the welded front pushpin/shelf not matter what the gun looks like. You drop it a sear but is still temporary and doesn't make it a MP5

Does that make sense? (Im not trying to be rude or anything!)

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Did you leave the barrel stock (which would be correct for a MP5K vs a MP5K-PDW)?
Stock barrel, MP5K, I didn't want to do it with US barrel and I couldn't afford a German one. Well I didn't want to put that much in it since I was having a Gillie buildt PDW (looks and runs perfect with my sear and suppressor) at the same time. That $1300 - $1500 dollar barrel goes a long way on having a clone build. And the Sp89 is still a correct gun.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
I thought it was HK that didn't want copy write infringment on clones.

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
IMHO remarking a HK94 of SP89 too MP5 or MP5K is like the people that rebadge their BMW's from 328i to 335i or M3 yet you can't hide the driver side mounter dual exhaust of the 328

Just like you can't get past the welded front pushpin/shelf not matter what the gun looks like. You drop it a sear but is still temporary and doesn't make it a MP5

It makes sense, and I agree with you. The problem is that the re-stamping of the gun makes it a specific model number that is restricted. Changing a BMW badge does not, as described. I guess that would make sense to the ATF, or at least be their point. Or maybe counterpoint.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
So you saying it's only because there is an MP5K that is no no. What if it were remarked MP5J for discussion sake, is it because it's was remarked to a restricted model as or because it's changing the original factory model number?

Sorry Kid168 this probably isn't what you were looking for when you asked the question. I guess I should get my answer from the horses mouth or whatever end it will come from and post what I find.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I understand the legality angle, I meant more as just in general, why bother because it will never be a actual honest to God MP5

as for the legal and I think what retro is saying and how the ATF feels is that you are altering identifying marks that are factory I can see where that would ruffle feathers at the NFA / ATF

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
For me I guess for the same reason I would buy a registered sear and an SP89. If I just wanted a big heavy pistol auto or not I would have bought a Tec 9 of course I would have wanted it restamped Tec 99. :)

My concern is as far as I know this has been done for years now since Febuary it's a no no? Would it suprise me, I guess not.

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
You drop it a sear but is still temporary and doesn't make it a MP5

Absolutely correct. No matter what you do to it, it isn'y going to be an MP5 unless it came from the factory that way, and the ONLY examples are pre, post samples and about 11 or so dealer sample guns that "somehow" became transferable.

Marking the guns AS MP5s not only opens you up to fraud if you try to sell it AS an MP5 but also could let H&K target you IF it had a slow day and you fell on their radar. Nawww... they wouldn't do that, would they?

One noteable instance of that DID happen. A guy bought what he was told was a real MP5... paid a decent price (a bit high to me) and then had a problem with it. Said person contacted H&K for help as the gun malfed a couple times and fer pete's sake, it WAS an original MP5, don'tcha know. Long story short, HK notified him he had in his possession a modified HK-94... not an original MP5. Yep, good ol' H und K ratted the guy out and produced the H&K serial number as made in blah-blah-blah right around whenever. New owner got his hair up and sued. AND won. New owner got ALL his monies back, shipping, transfer fees, court and lawyer fees, phone calls, lunch money, cab fare, plane tickets etc plus punitive fees.

Yeah, extreme, but this DID happen.

I would have just accepted a lower price from the guy, kept it and called it a day.

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
So you saying it's only because there is an MP5K that is no no. What if it were remarked MP5J for discussion sake, is it because it's was remarked to a restricted model as or because it's changing the original factory model number?.
Kinda doubt it... I think HK has the term MP5 sewn up completely... which is why the current builders are using terms such as Dakota Tactical 54, V-94, C-93 etc. On that note, YOU could make it an axehole 5 or an AH-89K to avoid the Land Sharks.

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
as for the legal and I think what retro is saying and how the ATF feels is that you are altering identifying marks that are factory I can see where that would ruffle feathers at the NFA / ATF

There was a fairly complete article written awhile back in Small Arms Review about the remarking that we all remember that covered and scared a bunch of guys. Basically stated that the gun would be forfeit because of the remarking. I'd have to find and re-read the article to get back up on it. It's been awhile and I thought everyone had figured out NOT to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
I guess I will re-up my subscription to SAR, and shoot off an email to cancel the remark.

SAR subscribed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts