HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a member of this forum for almost a year now although I have been disconnected lately because of other priorities. I have always been curious about the P7. I have never shot one, held one or seen one in person. There must not be very many in Alaska. I have always heard about them in magazines and the gun media world and especially this forum. So what makes them so special? Frankly I think they are awful looking although I used to think that of all HK's until I shot one. I now own a USPc 40 LEM and is probably the most prized gun in the safe. Could someone elaborate on the P7's functionality, reliability, accuracy etc...?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I asked the same question about a month ago. Search the forum - you'll find plenty. Basically, it's like the best carry pistol ever. It features a very safe, and once you get used to it, easy "squeeze, cock" system. The barrel is also attached to the frame which makes it very accurate. It's small enough to be in a jacket pocket, but the sight radius and barrel length is long enough to make it a great shooter. Basically, if you carry a concealed weapon (and you don't need a .45), you should get one. Also, if you're just an HK collector, you should get one. And finally, if you want the good people at HKPro to think you're really cool, you should get one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked the same question about a month ago. Search the forum - you'll find plenty. Basically, it's like the best carry pistol ever. It features a very safe, and once you get used to it, easy "squeeze, cock" system. The barrel is also attached to the frame which makes it very accurate. It's small enough to be in a jacket pocket, but the sight radius and barrel length is long enough to make it a great shooter. Basically, if you carry a concealed weapon (and you don't need a .45), you should get one. Also, if you're just an HK collector, you should get one. And finally, if you want the good people at HKPro to think you're really cool, you should get one.
Sounds like I need to get one. I guess I'll have to get a used one though, the HK website says they are no longer in production. I'd sure love to shoot one first. Anyone live in AK?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ditto - What SauceNJ said

·
Registered
50 Posts
Give a "shout out" on the HKPRO by state.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Here is the thread that Sauce was talking about..........
http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70224

Greg Bell sums it up best in the second post......

1. Squeeze cocking. IMHO the safest gun for daily carry. The gun goes from perfectly safe to perfectly deadly in a split second. If you drop it you may have a heart attack because it might get scratched but you can rest assured it won't go off. This gun is incredibly fast.

2. Trigger pull. Thanks to the squeeze cocking system the gun is safely equipped with an excellent single action trigger pull. I've had die-hard partisans of every type of gun praise my P7's trigger.

3. Compact. Although it has full-size controls (no pinky hang), the gun is sized like a compact approaching a subcompact. It is much thinner than almost any handgun.(1.1-1.2 inches).

4. Full-size barrel. Despite this gun's compact size it has a full 4-inch barrel.

5. Fixed-barrel. This gun lacks the tilting barrel assembly of most other full-sized guns. This lends the gun exceptional accuracy. In combination with the aforementioned trigger, this barrel makes the P7 ultra-accurate.

6. Low recoil. This is debatable. I have always felt that this has the least recoil of any 9mm. Some disagree, most don't. This is likely result of the guns low bore/axis and gas system (although some say the gas system should have no effect).

7. Tough! This gun is CNC milled from a solid steel forging. The gun is so solid it could be used as a nasty set of brass knuckles in a pinch. Without picking one up it is hard to imagine how solid this little gun feels. When I had mine hardchromed the smith complained endlessly about how hard the P7 was to machine.

8. Excellent sight radius. Although the gun is short, HK maximized the sight radius by pushing the sights as far apart as practically possible.

9. Oddball manual of arms confuses bad guys and know it all buddies. There are many accounts of cops loosing their P7's to bad guys who were, in turn, unable to figure out the squeeze cocker. On the lighter side, a know it all at a local gunshop had just explained to all of his bad experiences with the P7 when I handed it to him only to watch him fumble around unable to cock it! Hilarious.

10. Chamber fluting allows the gun to function even if the extractor is broken. This feature really makes you think when you are trying to determine which gun you want to bet you life on (no offense, but this a much more serious advantage than being able to freeze the gun in a bucket of ice or whatever).

11. Easily childproofed. The P7's striker can be removed without tools (and without any other disassembly of the gun). The striker can be re-inserted into the gun in roughly 1 second. This could be a major consideration to those of us with small children and stupid friends.

12. Ambidextrous. With the exception of the slide catch and take down buttons, every model of the P7 is completely ambidextrous.

13. Ultra-fast magazine release. This has to be experienced to be understood. Rambo types complained about the PSP’s lack of rapid magazine release. HK, Germans that they are, decided to give them what they wanted—a magazine that ejects so fast and powerfully that they could be used as back-up projectiles in an emergency.

14. Ultra fast slide release. Simply squeeze the handle and the slide will be released.

15. 110 degree grip angle gives the gun natural pointability. 110 degree grip angle makes the gun point just like you finger.

16. Low profile slide. The P7’s low profile slide means that there is very little recoiling mass relative to the frame. This, along with the above mentioned 110-degree grip angle makes reacquiring targets a breeze with the P7.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey "The nation,"

I'm in Anchorage and I might have a grade "A" P7-PSP for sale... I picked up two of them and now, the P7-PSP is my favorite 9mm pistol... Trust us, once you fire it, you will fall in love with it!!

Sorry, can't get out to the range for some time... Work comes first!!

If interested, email me at: [email protected]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thenation:

Looks are deceiving. The P7 has a way of "growing" on you. If you try one, be prepared to experience something of an epiphany. :cool:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Man, why did i click on this thread?!? The hunt continues... :\

Can anyone give me a quick tutorial on the different models available or purchase today? What is the most common sold? Can you even get a new one?

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
The big deal with the P7 is it is easily the most accurate factory 9mm pistol ever made by anyone, period.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Recently joined the HK fold with a trade on a PSP, and signing up at this forum as well.
Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet (may solve that problem at our indoor range this evening, as a fair snowstorm is here in Westsylvania).
Enjoyed the forum thus far (and already learned some things).
I'm an old round gun guy, so all this square pistol stuff requires some adjustment, particularly the P7 clan. Talk about standing everything you know about autopistols on its head...
Moon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Landpimps right. The boys who claim the p7 is the most accurate auto pistol, have just never shot a p9s. I own both. The p7 is very good, but still can't come close to the p9 (the trigger pull on the p9 puts it way out in front).

·
Registered
43 Posts
I purchased my grade A P7 PSP as a result of all of the "hype" that I read on this site. I have not shot it yet but have shown it off a bunch. It seems people either love it or hate it. I hope to shoot it soon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I picked up on one of the CDNN 599.00 P7PSP (very good conidtion) as a project pistol. I will eventually send it to ROBAR for refinishing, nights sights and I will also put a set of Nill's wood grips on it. It will end up my primary off duty carry pistol.

I have shot it twice now in the last week and it is an insanely accurate pistol. Before buying it, I read a review on this forum which said "it will make an average shooter good and an excellent shooter great." Doing triple tap drills with it, you end up only have two holes in target, one big one in the chest and one smaller one in the head. I am telling all my shooting buddies to get one!

·
Registered
24 Posts
as accurate as the P7 is.....the P9s is more so IMOP
I have both and love them equally for different reasons, the PSP gets very hot after 2 magazines but is my favorite carry weapon because of size, safety and accuracy . The P9s is also very accurate but bigger it just keeps firing and hitting the target without getting hot.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The big deal with the P7 is it is easily the most accurate factory 9mm pistol ever made by anyone, period.

I will second this. I instantly shot better with the P7. Not a lot better, but noticeably better the first time I ever fired one.

·
Registered
196 Posts
What is the big difference between Grade A and B?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts