HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone said Qualified steel sear is the best sear w/ unlimited calibers(?), anyone care to share their .02 cents?
thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Qualified sears and Flemming "H" Sears are the exact same thing. There is no difference other than the name. They are both worth the same money.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Qualified sears and Flemming "H" Sears are the exact same thing. There is no difference other than the name. They are both worth the same money.
Yep, made on the same dies at the same time from the same stamped steel material and then heat treated. S&H sears are made of cast steel and are also high quality.

There are other more unusual designs out there (one piece trip lever and catch), but those 3 are what I consider the most desireable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Fleming and Qualified Sears, which are virtually identical, were stamped out of 'heat treated high carbon steel' at the same time out of the same stock. Fleming and Qualified Sears (carbon) are made of higher strength steel than the S & H Sears (tool). Also, it is not known if the S & H Sears were ever heat treated.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
I think that Fleming may have made an earlier type sear before what is now called the Fleming "H" sear (serial number starts with the letter H followed by four numbers). The older Fleming sear has a different serial number approach (something other than starting with the letter H followed by four numbers).

·
Registered
179 Posts
I wonder if anyone has ever had these types of sears wear or break. I haven't heard of any personally. Anyone?

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I wonder if anyone has ever had these types of sears wear or break. I haven't heard of any personally. Anyone?
Not that I have all that much experience with sears to begin with, but the only broken sear I've ever even seen a picture of was a RDIAS from an AR. But it was the non-serialized part of it, so a replacement could be made.

They are a very low-stress part, and if hardened properly shouldn't ever wear out.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
In my 12+ years of broadband internet connection to numerous firearm message boards, I have never heard of any HK sear, by any manufacturer breaking. Not even a "I know this guy, who knows this guy, who has a fat brother-in-law who stepped on a sear and broke it." If anyone ever breaks an HK sear, I'd love to see some pictures.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
In my 12+ years of broadband internet connection to numerous firearm message boards, I have never heard of any HK sear, by any manufacturer breaking. Not even a "I know this guy, who knows this guy, who has a fat brother-in-law who stepped on a sear and broke it." If anyone ever breaks an HK sear, I'd love to see some pictures.
Post on Bowers board back in August wrt S&H sear breaking the leg under the trip lever.......sent sear to Urbach for the weld-up. Urbach tells poster he's done 4 or 5 before.......no follow-up on the repair from original poster. With Urbach doing the work, he could already have it back and not posted a follow-up, or.........he might not get his sear back in the foreseeable future.

http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsgarchive.cgi?read=620593

I still favor the Fleming/Qualified sears.......just my preference.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I also recall a subguns.com poster who showed pictures of a Ciener sear that had the trip arm broken off. This is one of the single trip designs and that long arm sticking up out of the pack to impact the carrier tends to concentrate force.

Don't know how it happened, and don't know how it got fixed, but he did have pictures, and a convincing story.

Anything metal will wear, and if too much pressure exists, will break.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The Fleming and Qualified Sears, which are virtually identical, were stamped out of 'heat treated high carbon steel' at the same time out of the same stock. Fleming and Qualified Sears (carbon) are made of higher strength steel than the S & H Sears (tool). Also, it is not known if the S & H Sears were ever heat treated.
And that is why the Fleming sear is more desireable over the S&H sear but I have personally never heard of any of the two ever breaking or wearing out.

·
Registered
179 Posts
As I'm not a "smith" I wasn't sure how much force/wear the H types sears could expcet to have...guess I could contact S&H and ask.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Some sear packs are easier to trip the sear lever than others. My sear pack takes a lot of force like a stock HK sear pack while a friend of mines sear pack with a S&H sear will trip very easily. I would imagine the easier the sear lever trips the less wear or chance of breakage will be but I guess it just depends where the sear location is in the pack & what spring was used.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts