HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a gun again to check out HKs. What's the difference between USPC and P2000? Except for USPC has external safety, but P2000 doesn't? Looks like P2000 is slimmer than a USPC.

If I invest in a P2000, which is not much different from a Glock (both DA only, both have no external safety, both plastic guns), is it a good idea?

Also, can you really carry a loaded P2000 with LEM trigger? That trigger is LIGHT!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Some guys that carry like the compact. You can carry cocked and locked. I like the idea of a saftey, and I like the USP setup. I maybe wrong but the last time I poured over the stats I think the compact was thinner. On the other side the P2K has the back strap thing and a little nicer trigger. Personally I could not make the call between the two. A good deal on a Sig 228 popped up and.... But, I'm back on the right track now. Maybe a compact this summer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You can think of the P2000 as a product-improved USP Compact. They use the same mags and have the same overall length & height, but the HK engineers squeeked out an extra 2mm barrel length & 6.5mm sight radius in the P2000. The P2000 is also 25g lighter (a little less than an ounce). It's got adjustable grips and the USPC doesn't. You can get a trigger variant on the USPC that will let you carry "cocked & locked", but on the P2000 it's LEM, DAO or DA/SA withna decocker (which is now a button beside the hammer vs the traditional lever on the USPC). You might get a better price on a USPC, because they're not the latest & greatest.

Frankly, I'm surprised that they haven't just offered the other trigger variants in the P2000 & discontinued the USPC. Then again, the new P30 is just slightly bigger than the P2000 and just has another batch of incremental improvements (picks up another 5mm barrel length, longer grip to hold 2 more rounds in 9mm, now the grips are width-adjustable too, still smaller than a full-sized USP).

I don't think H&K needs so many different pistols in nearly the same size. IMO, they should rationalize their 9mm/357 SIG/.40 S&W line-up on the P30 platform - a full sized one with a 4-4.25" barrel on the P30 frame, one chopped in barrel length & grip to P2000 size and another one chopped further in those dimensions to P2000SK size.

That said, I just bought a P2000 V2 in 357 Sig a couple weeks ago & I like it. The grip feels significantly less bulky than my USP40, even though the mag caacity is only 1 less (and the grip is only about 1/3" shorter). The P2000 grip is significantly more comfortable - the USP40 have very sharp checkering (I'll probably trade it for a P30 if they make 'em in .40 & import 'em to the US). Wouldn't mind the extra 9mm it would take to get the P2000's barrel to 4" even, but the grip length is fine for me and it's not at all unpleasant to shoot with full power ammo (125 gr Gold Dots). I think I want to get the lighter trigger springs, though, as I think it would improve my accuracy.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I just did a little range report that addresses some of the differences.

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72728

Edit: At least between the LEM versions.
I couldnt agree with your assessment more. The only thing the P2000 has on the USPc other than the standardized rail is that it is a little more comfortable to carry. I have both and I much prefer the USP & USPc. The P2000sk on the other hand is a great little pocket or ankle gun that has its own little niche, but other than that, the P2000 series was a waste of R&D IMO. They should have just skipped the P2000 series and gone to the P30 and P45, after all the new P30 and P45 are everything the P2000 wanted to be, but wasnt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts