HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a hoppes bore snake today and used it. On one end before the bore brush I put Otis 085 bore clean. On the other end some frog lube. After using it I grabbed a flashlight and looked into my barrel and saw this.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Right now I have barrel sitting with some frog lube on it. Is what's in there normal? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
I don't know what it is, but I've never had anything like that in any of my barrels, so I would say it's not normal. Do you have a brush to try to brush it off?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what it is, but I've never had anything like that in any of my barrels, so I would say it's not normal. Do you have a brush to try to brush it off?

No brush like a toothbrush. Only round brushes. I'll try and run the bore snake through it a bunch of times

·
Registered
178 Posts
It's the frog lube. Throw it away ASAP. It gunks up everything. It leaves behind a residue and it solidifies. It's basically causing you to have barrel boogers.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I doubt that was from the ammo. Ammo usually leaves carbon deposits. I would try cleaning bore conventional way with rod, bore solvent, bronze bore brush, and cotton patches. Hoppes NO 9 solvent (NOT the newer synthetic stuff) works pretty well and is widely available. Usually I run patch through wet with solvent from chamber end, then run bronze brush wet with solvent through bore and back a dozen times going all the way out the end of the bore and then pulling back through, then a couple more wet patches, and then a couple dry patches. Repeat whole process if needed. For really dirty bore you can leave Hoppes NO 9 in bore for a couple hours if need be when applied with wet patch to let it work. When done and bore is dry run a patch lightly dampened with CLP/lube through bore for protectant.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Id have to agree to not usr frog lube, especially in the barell. . The quickest easiest way to strip the gunk off is chlorine free brake cleaner. Then soak the end in Hoppes while you have lunch. After that, uze your brass brushes making sure to run it through.. Then post another pic, good luck.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I doubt that was from the ammo. Ammo usually leaves carbon deposits. I would try cleaning bore conventional way with rod, bore solvent, bronze bore brush, and cotton patches. Hoppes NO 9 solvent (NOT the newer synthetic stuff) works pretty well and is widely available. Usually I run patch through wet with solvent from chamber end, then run bronze brush wet with solvent through bore and back a dozen times going all the way out the end of the bore and then pulling back through, then a couple more wet patches, and then a couple dry patches. Repeat whole process if needed. For really dirty bore you can leave Hoppes NO 9 in bore for a couple hours if need be when applied with wet patch to let it work. When done and bore is dry run a patch lightly dampened with CLP/lube through bore for protectant.
Here's my stupid question for the day. With a bore brush can you go both ways with it or only one direction?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you leave a lot of oil in your barrel? Could be dirty ammo mixing with the oil to make gunk.
No this was the first time I ever used frog lube inside the barrel. I thought it was because there was a reaction between the Otis bore cleaner and the frog lube

1 - 20 of 29 Posts