HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to price what this is worth.
I've got the last new 9mm Vector Sp89 pistol from the only run of 125 they will ever do. The pistol was sent back to Vector and was refinished, stocked and repapered as a SBR. The gun only has the normal Vector factory markings, not someone one elses.

Currently the gun is on a Form 3 as a SBR as a factory SBR from Vector. The gun is new in box, only fired by Vector. It has the choate style folding stock and foregrip. Three lugged barrel, paddle mag release, and all that.

This is the last one of these available as new on the open market. What would this be worth? $2500? $2700?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would value it at around $2000-$2200. I've seen the guns go for between $1500-$1800 so the addition of the stock and foregrip would increase the price by just a nominal amount.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I thought that since this was the last NEW one anywhere forever, plus the fact that it was ALREADY REGISTERED as a SBR from Vector would command it a significant premium.

I might be wrong. That was just what we were thinking. Vector Charged $201 to repaper it and turn it into a SBR, plus for the stock and all.

·
Registered
632 Posts
People pay more if it has a full auto bolt carrier and a 3 position select housing, if yours is like that, then 2400 bucks would be at the top price. otherwise 2200 bucks at the top end for a semi auto bolt and 2 position housing.

Just because it's a SBR doesn't mean it commands a "premium price".

·
Registered
425 Posts
Market has been hurt a little...

Due to the newest Coharies being much closer than even the Vectors to the original HK SP89 I have noticed the hunt for the Vectors slowing a bit. I have a friend in Indianapolis that has 3 Vectors sitting in the safe unfired so yours is not the last one unfired and there are quite a few others. About one out of ten guns go into safes to never be fired so there will always be an unfired one somewhere. I have two of the Vectors and two of the Coharies (newest Generation) and both are great weapons but for 1100.00 bucks the Coharie smokes the Vector in value and I ordered FA carriers with each for only 50.00 more each so.......
Just some thoughts from the clone arena.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got one of the last Vector guns from Yamil.

FA carrier- got it in Feb, still unfired.:90:

If I could get $2200 for it I would sell it in a heartbeat and get one of Cohaire's latest...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Is there any reason Vector SP89 clone is worth much more than Coharie's SP89 clone? 2k vs. 1k?
nope, actually the latest from todd has the correct (tapered) cocking tube and support. not the old straight pipe found on the vector...

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
When I compare my vector to my coharie I can tell you that there is major quality differences, the vector being superior.

Also the Vector functioned 100 percent out of the box, the coharie took an extra 400 dollars (estimate) in HK parts until I got it 100 percent.

The coharie had unfinished areas around the mag well, dings in the metal front sight tower, cheap plastic cockin support and a few other issues.

But not to rag on Coharie too much, because in the long run the gun is perfect now and I still saved a ton of money off of the cost of a DOJ HK 94 etc.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The new CA89K has a steel cocking tube support. Fit and finish in the ones from 2 years ago and the current ones are night and day. They finally got them right. Paint is not thick like the standard CA94,welds are nice and attention to detail is there. The one I bought back in 2005 was horrid. All of the issues you mentioned.
So my advice is grab a current one (or two) and wait for the clones to fade away. It will happen as the market has never been strong enough to demand mass production. I wish it was as I so love the roller locked 9mm guns. All of them have merit and up until the last Coharies I would have said Vector held the crown for the best of the best. But with the newest ones they have lost the footing and the big issue is they do not have any receivers to make anymore and would have to get in bed with Todd again to do so. He has done me fair so I cannot complain. But many have had bad experiences so that has to be kept in mind. If you buy one for a grand less you need to know how to fix it. I do gun repair work for a living so for me it is just fun, but I can see if you are hobbyist that getting your 1200.00 dollar toy out and it not working 100% could be a nasty thing. I just walk over to my Kennedy chest of HK parts and pull out an extractor,cocking tube support etc and keep on going.
Main point, there will probably not be anymore Vector 9mms. I talked to them at KCR and they said it could happen but many things had to happen and one was for TB to get them some of the parts..... So a 1200.00 Coharie is a bargain even if you put 200 to 300 more in it.
P.

When I compare my vector to my coharie I can tell you that there is major quality differences, the vector being superior.

Also the Vector functioned 100 percent out of the box, the coharie took an extra 400 dollars (estimate) in HK parts until I got it 100 percent.

The coharie had unfinished areas around the mag well, dings in the metal front sight tower, cheap plastic cockin support and a few other issues.

But not to rag on Coharie too much, because in the long run the gun is perfect now and I still saved a ton of money off of the cost of a DOJ HK 94 etc.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Yep...

I agree, even after spending 1150.00 on the CA94, 200 tax stamp and HK parts around 400 dollars I am still saving around 1700 dollars off of the cost of the HK-94 that is selling ($3500) as we speak on Gunbroker. I just wanted a shooter not a safe queen.

Also, I agree about the demand for these guns, it seems like a boutique phenomenon of gun sales but if a person is interested in an Assault type rifle like a AR-15 why not buy a MP5 type rifle? They kick ass and are way sexier looking than any other SMG that I can think of; except for maybe a Thompson M1928-A1.

As a pre-emptive strike I am not comparing a rifle to a SMG type weapon I am just saying that I am surprised civilian assault weapon enthusiasts are buying these clones up like candy.

I just have to throw in a really ironic side note, the serial numbers on my Vector and Coharie is 007...what are the odds of that. Plus I am a James Bond fan so that works out too. Haha

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got some thoughts. Cohaire is just todd's latest name. I suppose his warrantee will only be good for as long as he keeps the current name. Then, when enough complaints have been filed against him the name will change again. Where will the owner be then.

Todd has taken available of many people and sold some really garbage guns in the past.

Vector is a known good company. They provide excellent service, use HK parts and run right out of the box. They cannot produce anymore 9mm guns because they refuse to work with Todd anymore. That should tell you something.

Which manufacturer will be around in a year or two? How many names has Todd hidden behind in the last few years?

The Cohaire will never have any real resale value. The Vector will always.

I don't see how these two can even compare. I'm guessing this gun to be worth $2600. About $1100 less than a converted hk94.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I've got some thoughts. Cohaire is just todd's latest name. I suppose his warrantee will only be good for as long as he keeps the current name. Then, when enough complaints have been filed against him the name will change again. Where will the owner be then.

Todd has taken available of many people and sold some really garbage guns in the past. ........

I don't see how these two can even compare. I'm guessing this gun to be worth $2600. About $1100 less than a converted hk94.

Just a FYI, the warranty is bullsh*t. I tried that route and Coharie were condescending and rude and only offered a refund;basically told me that their consumers were idiots and were using underpowered WWB munitions. The only thing that fixed my CA94 was HK German made parts and me learning how to repair it.

If Coharie sends them out of the factory with crappy parts like out of spec bolts, ejectors, hammers etc. what makes you think they will be able to repair them...? I cannot see them calling up Adam Webber for parts to repair returned firearms, can you?

The most important thing for Coharie to get "right" is the receiver. My finish was good, welds were nice and not sloppy, and everything was in spec (in relation to the receiver).

I bought this gun with the intention of SBR'ing it and never selling it which is what I am doing, so resale value is not the issue, but saving around 1800 dollars off of the cost of a HK94 is a nice trade off.

As for the Vector, none of the internals were HK except for the lower trigger housing and internals. * but the parts they use are WAY better than Coharie.

For Example: If you compare the Coharie bolt next to the Vector there are night and day quality differences; the Vector being superior. (IE extractor moving side to side)

I wish that if people decide to go in the business of manufacturing weapons they start off producing a gun that works out of the box instead of cutting corners. If you spend a few hundred dollars in quality control and better parts initially and the gun costs a little bit more but functions 100 %, then you have a win-win situation and the customers would respect you for that and buy your product more readily. Also, there wouldn't be all of this negative press generated.

Thank God for HKPro and similar sites, this is the best example of the power of the consumer!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts