HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a USP40F so I went to look at one at my local candy store & the pistol came with the cheesiest plastic magazines. WTF!! I've been out of HK land for a while - are these new style mags???
TOTALLY turned me off...

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,536 Posts
Sounds like the .40 is set up with a Jet Funnel. Those mags are actually higher capacity and more expensive!

·
Registered
404 Posts
I want to buy a USP40F so I went to look at one at my local candy store & the pistol came with the cheesiest plastic magazines. WTF!! I've been out of HK land for a while - are these new style mags???
TOTALLY turned me off...
How long have you been away from HK land? Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think the USPf 9mm and .40 mags have always been plastic.The .45 mags are steel. The "cheesy" plastic HK mags are higher quality then most metal mags from other manufactures.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, it didn't have the jet funnel & the mags weren't the white ones - they were just the standard mags, very flimsy feeling and markings on the side that referenced 10-94 (can't really remember). There were also no markings on the floor plates.

After researching further, it appears that the fullsize USP40/9s don't and never have come with metal mags. Is this correct? My 45C and 40C both had metal mags.

If the mags were lined (ala Glock), I wouldn't mind as those have never given me any trouble.

I sure do like the 40F, but the Toys R Us mags turned me off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be fair - The followers looked to be of good/HK quality, I was referring to the mag body - seemed thin.

...........but if you guys say they're ok, I'll take that as a go. I sure did like the gun otherwise....... :eek:

·
Registered
404 Posts
I sure do like the 40F, but the Toys R Us mags turned me off.
I don't think you'll have an issue with the HK mags. My friend has a .40 with a KD date code.Original mags, and a few thousand rounds down range. Keeps at least one mag loaded all the time.No bulging issues at all. If I remember he changed out the mag springs a couple years ago just as a precautionary measure.Not cause he had to. It comes down to personal preference but I wouldn't pass on a USP cause of the mags.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I don't really care for those plastic mags either - they don't FEEL as durable as the Glock mags...

I bought a 9mm USP about 1.5 years ao - I had an issue with 1 mag right away - 2 rounds got stuck side by side inside the mag. All the rest of the rounds floated above them inside the mag, as the stuck rounds held the spring down.

I disassembled the mag to get all the rounds out. Put it together after and it seemed tow ork fine. But I called HK and had the mag replaced...

I've NEVER had that happen before with any mag.

I like the metal mag bodies better on my HK USPc

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
You are correct. The USP 45, all Compacts, and the Mark 23 all have metal mags.
The full size 9mm and .40s, all variants, have plastic mags and have always had them.

While there have been issues with weak mag springs I have heard of no common problems associated with the plastic or metal mag bodies.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Keep in mind that polymer doesn't bend or dent though, Somthing metal mags do. So there are advantages to having plastic mags.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,536 Posts
The full size 9mm and .40s, all variants, have plastic mags and have always had them.
Using my best Johnny Carson impression... "I did not know that..." I don't own a full size 9 or 40 (I do have a USPc 40 and a P2000SK in 40) and just thought everything was metal, except for the jet funnel mags.

Filed under: "What I Learned Today".

·
Registered
802 Posts
Keep in mind that polymer doesn't bend or dent though, Somthing metal mags do. So there are advantages to having plastic mags.
Plastic mags do crack as a few people have cracked the plastic mags when dropped onto hard floors. The plastic can deform and bulge in hot weather when fully loaded. I've seen one fatten up from being left in a truck on a hot summer day.

Steel does have it's advantages in that if it does bend or get dented, you can straighten them out.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Never had an issue with my USP9f mags. They work every bit as well as my HK steel mags. Come to think of it I've never had a magazine problem with a any of my HKs.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Plastic mags do crack as a few people have cracked the plastic mags when dropped onto hard floors. The plastic can deform and bulge in hot weather when fully loaded. I've seen one fatten up from being left in a truck on a hot summer day.

Steel does have it's advantages in that if it does bend or get dented, you can straighten them out.
I've dropped my mags on hard cement floors quite often and all my mags run 100%. I have seen some people, instead of doing the right thing and manually clean their mags, and just throw them in the dishwasher, and I could see problems arising from that with polymer mags.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I don't think you'll have an issue with the HK mags.
I had issues with the mags for the USP FS 9MM. He's right, they are cheap, re-inforcing plastic ribs on the inside of mag body had burrs and they didn't function well. Those FS mags are crap, for the price you pay for the gun.

·
Registered
311 Posts
FS USP 9mm and 40 plastic mags have a steel liner about 1.5 inches on the top of the mag. If they fail, HK will replace them at no additional cost, just send them to Trussville.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If they fail, HK will replace them at no additional cost, just send them to Trussville.
That would be ok if I were only going to use this weapon as a range piece but as it is, due to some life changes, I am having to consolidate and 'thin' my collection - so I'm looking for a single weapon that can fill the multiple roles of HD, SD and range/fun gun. I don't want to have a mag fail on a SD piece & then have to get new mags from HK - that's a deal breaker for me.

The Compact .40 is looking better & better ..........wish I wouldn't have sold mine off..........

·
Registered
329 Posts
well for the price of mags, 8-15 bucks for 10 rounders I don't think it's that much of an issue. For the price of one high cap you can get 5 or so 10 round mags. I don't think you can have 5 magazines and have all of them break the second they hit the floor.

So in all honesty unless you're dropping your mags off 2 story buildings every time you shouldn't have a problem, If one happens to break, which it isn't exactly a common thing, send it out to HK and they'll replace it. Just have a spare mag or two laying around if it's "that" big of a deal, I think going out and buying a different gun would be a bit drastic.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I am in NY state. I have used the same five pre-ban USP9F magazines for ten years now. I have dropped them in mud, gravel and grass. I have never had a problem. A friend has had a problem with one of his ten rounders, but he is using reloads.

JPG

I must be the lucky one. All of my HK's and clones just work.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Greetings ballzac,

Fear not . . . I have purchased pre-ban, ban, and post-ban magazines for mine and have not had any issues with them. For the used ones that I have purchased, I had disassembled them, cleaned them thoroughly, and put in new Wolf +10% springs. I bought some of the "three-packs" from Wolf directly, and came highly recommended from the Forum Membership.

Also, with the baseplates . . . I have some that are blank, some with USP markings, some with HK USP markings, etc. on them. Some have the LEO markings on the side and some do not. Seems like HK changes the baseplates for different production runs.

I have not had any of these magazines split or crack, but I agree, I do tend to like metal magazines overall. However, I will not purchase/load/insert/shoot anything except HK original factory magazines, i.e. no third party PROmags, etc., even if that requires me to use the plastic mags. I think they are pretty tough.

I would suggest to not let the magazines be a deal breaker for your purchase.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts