HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a P2000 LEM that started life as a V2 and was just switched to V1.

I ran about 200 rounds through this thing today, more or less as a function check before carrying it again after I changed the mag release, FPBS and TRS. And I have to say, I really liked it as a V2. As a V1, I think it's the ****. My groups shrunk by about 25%. I can only guess it's the lighter trigger.

For ****s and giggles I Googled HK P2000 LEM review. I must have read a dozen reviews. All complaining about the LEM. All complaining about the cost of HKs in general. I have about $750 in my P2000. After adding night sights and other items to both my Gen 4 Glocks, I have almost that much in each of them. I have four Sigs. All of them were way more than my P2000. I don't know of any gun I own that was cheaper than my HK if you consider things I have done or had done to them to make them better for me. I just don't get it. Seemingly it's alright to spend $500+ on a gun and then spend $200 on sights and aftermarket triggers. Or spend $1000 on an alloy frame gun that seems to be hit or miss here lately.

I don't know. I just wanted to vent. I am going to assume that HK doesn't advertise much. Because it seems the magazines that give all these rave reviews always seem to have a two page color add somewhere in it matching whatever was just reviewed.

rant over.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have pretty much the same situation as you...started w/ a V2, converted to V1 and really like it. I do wish the reset was a bit shorter, but other than that, my only complaint with the P200 is the lack of aftermarket support (specifically sights in my case)

LEM is a unique (to H&K) trigger system, similar to Sig's DAK. I not heard of any shooter that was able to immediately adapt to it and loved it right off the bat (I'm talking about reviewers here). If you're sold on DA/SA, SAO, or striker-fired systems, then DAK or LEM take some getting used to before appreciating their merits. JMO...

·
Banned
188 Posts
I will personally tell you right now, the Sig DAK system is a steaming pile of youknowwhat compared to the HK LEM system. And I'm a DA/SA guy. IMO, the DAK doesn't compare. But I would not pass up a P2000 or P2000sk with the LEM trigger for carry.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'm a huge Sig fan and I don't recommend bothering with the DAK. The Kellerman action was developed for law enforcement carry and can stay in that arena as far as your average recreational shooter is concerned.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've had a roller coast of love and not so much for it. But it's still my favorite. This gun to me shoots differently from my other hk,s including my sk. Originally it was a v3 and I would shoot low to the left. I corrected the problem after a couple weeks of shooting. I changed over all my guns to med lem weight, this is recently. I shoot all my hk,s fine except for the 2000 at that point, I'm back to the low left. 2 days ago I tried for the heck of it to go all light lem with all of them. Now I shoot the 2000 just as well as the rest of them. The p2000 is my favorite, it just took a little work and mystery.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I will personally tell you right now, the Sig DAK system is a steaming pile of youknowwhat compared to the HK LEM system.
Having fairly extensive experience with both, I'm in complete agreement with this statement.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Having fairly extensive experience with both, I'm in complete agreement with this statement.
It's funny you both bring this up. As I converted my 226, 228, 229, and 220 to DAK. I still preferred it to Sigs DA/SA. Even on 229 Elite and 226 Elite that came with the SRT trigger. If I could retro-fit the LEM trigger in those, I would.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My first HK was a P2000 V2 LEM 9mm. I carry it everyday. I have ran close to 4000 rounds through it (2,000 without cleaning or lube of any kind) and ZERO problems. I have put Mepros and the extended mag release on it (huge upgrade IMO). Overall, the grip feels better in my hand than any other pistol I have shot or held, including my recently purchased 45C (which is also a GREAT weapon).

The LEM system has taken some time to get used to, and although I have thought of trying the different variants of LEM, I like the V2 just fine.

All in all, I love my P2K.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Well, we all have different experiences and that's what makes this forum interesting.

I've had a 9mm P2000 SK V3 for several years and it's not only a tack driver but a pleasure to shoot for extended range sessions.

Sometimes , we can get too focused on the trigger and not training with what we've got.

Good luck OP. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm a huge Sig fan and I don't recommend bothering with the DAK. The Kellerman action was developed for law enforcement carry and can stay in that arena as far as your average recreational shooter is concerned.
I agree, but for those proficient in DA revolvers, DAK is generally a definite improvement...especially the shorter reset.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I agree, but for those proficient in DA revolvers, DAK is generally a definite improvement...especially the shorter reset.
I guess I only see a need for double-action anything in a carry piece. But even my carry piece is a cocked-and-locked SAO subcompact. DA triggers are such hassles to learn trigger control.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
LOVED my .40 P2000 V2 LEM.
HATED my 9mm. P2000SK V2 LEM.

I still regret selling that .40 P2k.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would love to try the P2000/sk V1 (preferably before converting) but I personally have no problem with the P2000 V2. The LEM trigger took me a little time to get used to but it was definitely worth it. No more time than expected. I think the LEM trigger is a great carry concept and not difficult to become proficient with but as everyone knows this is strictly a personal preference. Whatever configuration that works best for the individual user is the way to go but definitely don't discount the LEM without giving it some time.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would love to try the P2000/sk V1 (preferably before converting) but I personally have no problem with the P2000 V2. The LEM trigger took me a little time to get used to but it was definitely worth it. No more time than expected. I think the LEM trigger is a great carry concept and not difficult to become proficient with but as everyone knows this is strictly a personal preference. Whatever configuration that works best for the individual user is the way to go but definitely don't discount the LEM without giving it some time.
If you or anyone else is in East Tennessee that would like to try a P2000 V1, I will supply one. You just have to feed it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What was the difference that made you hate the sk; grip length ? caliber ? Just curious; I love my P2000 357 sig, and was planning on getting my wife a sk in the 9mm.
Other than the grip being a little cramped for my hands, I personally don’t think anything is wrong with the P2000sk. I bought one in 9mm for my fiancée and she loves it. She is usually recoil sensitive and she can shoot hers all day long. The grip length is perfect for her; she said that it feels like it was made for her hand. Once I converted it from the V2 to the light LEM she surprised herself with how accurate she was with it. I add the extended mag release the other day, and now I just have to find some night sights and it will be good to go. She told me that if we ever break up I can have the dogs but she gets the SK, so I don’t think you will go wrong if you buy your wife one.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Other than the grip being a little cramped for my hands, I personally don’t think anything is wrong with the P2000sk. I bought one in 9mm for my fiancée and she loves it. She is usually recoil sensitive and she can shoot hers all day long. The grip length is perfect for her; she said that it feels like it was made for her hand. Once I converted it from the V2 to the light LEM she surprised herself with how accurate she was with it. I add the extended mag release the other day, and now I just have to find some night sights and it will be good to go. She told me that if we ever break up I can have the dogs but she gets the SK, so I don’t think you will go wrong if you buy your wife one.
My wife had basically the same experience. The first time she shot my, at the time, just purchased P2000SK V1 .40 S&W, she proceeded to burn a hole through the center of the target @ 15 yards. To make a long story short, by the end of that day's shooting session, the P2000SK was no longer mine, but was HER new pistol! :D

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
What was the difference that made you hate the sk; grip length ? caliber ? Just curious; I love my P2000 357 sig, and was planning on getting my wife a sk in the 9mm.
It owed me money, so I threw it down the stairs. :biggrin:

Nah, honestly, me and the SK just never clicked.
It was by far the least accurate(for me) HK handgun I've ever shot. It just seemed that no matter how much practice I gave it, I never had CONSISTANT tight groupings with her. Wasn't a fan of the felt recoil on that tiny frame, coupled with the fact that the pinky always hangs off the bottom of the grip. Dunno, just an overall uncomfortable weapon to shoot, but easy to carry. The fact that it was my primary carry, and I couldn't shoot it consistantly enough, was definitely the selling factor for me.
I definitely gave her more than her fair share of chances, just wasn't the gun for me. I bet the .40 SK would be even worse.

Clearing that position allowed me to bring in my custom P7M8 as my primary CCW, and I coudn't be happier. :25:

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
DAK is generally a definite improvement...especially the shorter reset.
I assume you're referring to the reset of a DA revolver trigger?

The DAK has a bizarre DOUBLE reset. That is, you can let it out about halfway, and it resets and can be pulled again to fire. But that pull is noticeably heavier than if you allow the trigger to go forward all the way to the end of its travel before pulling again.

I might... MIGHT... take a DAK over a S&W Stigma. Those guns, especially the current SW9VE and SW40VE, have the most egregious triggers of any "service" semi-auto I can think of. But the DAK is breathing down their necks for the title of suckiest trigger on the planet... IMO, of course. FWIW, I began my career in 1978, and we didn't transition to bottom-feeders until 1989. I have shot many thousands of rounds, much of that in PPC competition, through revolvers. The DAK compares to an average revolver DA trigger like a Yugo compares to a Mercedes... both are automobiles, but that's where the comparison ends.

As for the LEM... well, its the LEM. I find it interesting that most folks slamming it have never even tried it. Many of the people I have introduced to it now, like me, prefer it above all others for a duty-type pistol. A few just couldn't come to like it.

You have to shoot more than a couple magazines through a LEM-equipped pistol to really understand how it works; and how YOU should work it. I have stopped trying to convince folks; if they ask, I let them try it. If they remain interested, I'll let them shoot it some more.

For my money, its the ultimate point'n'pull pistol.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts